The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nashville interested in Gaudette at the draft

I’m sure a few teams were asked to give up good young players for Subban and passed. For good reason.

No one was taking on that full contract unless it was for cheap. I have a feeling New Jersey will regret it.

• Upvote 1

It would honestly depend on his offer, but we have a lot of depth at C, so I wouldn't be crushed to send him away for a good package, but I don't think they were probably offering much.

• Upvote 1

I don't see how it would be bad for him to get top 6 C duties in Utica and be an early call up should injuries arise. Get him taking a ton of draws because it's something I feel he needs to improve on and he would get that opportunity more at the AHL level rather than a sheltered NHL role.

If he's coveted by other GMs, that's a good thing. Nashville can have Gaudette for Fabbro.

11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I don't see how it would be bad for him to get top 6 C duties in Utica and be an early call up should injuries arise. Get him taking a ton of draws because it's something I feel he needs to improve on and he would get that opportunity more at the AHL level rather than a sheltered NHL role.

If he's coveted by other GMs, that's a good thing. Nashville can have Gaudette for Fabbro.

Chances are good even if he starts in Utica he will still play more on the Canucks than the Comets. Wouldn’t be a bad thing for sure. One of the reasons I think Sutter should stay another year is he can help mentor him in that regard maybe Gaudette plays on the wing to start and ends up the centre at the end of the year. And just maybe Sutter stays healthy enough to regain some trade value 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Gaud looked better after he got sent back down to Utica.  He really should have spent the whole season down there developing but had to play with the Canucks due to injuries.

I like Gaudette in Utica until Christmas at least.  Let him play lots of minutes, all situations etc.  That's whats best for his development imo

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Chances are good even if he starts in Utica he will still play more on the Canucks than the Comets. Wouldn’t be a bad thing for sure. One of the reasons I think Sutter should stay another year is he can help mentor him in that regard maybe Gaudette plays on the wing to start and ends up the centre at the end of the year. And just maybe Sutter stays healthy enough to regain some trade value 

The reason he would be playing more with the Canucks than Utica is likely because Sutter is injured again. Until we open up room at the NHL level, I can't see Gaudette getting much time barring injury and that's not a bad thing for his development if it's to be a center.

I don't think we need Sutter to be a mentor simply because we have Maholtra in the system to do just so and it's not like EP needed a mentor directly on his line.

• Upvote 1

As part of the Subban return.  Friedman mentioned it in his 31 thoughts.

Nashville was looking to clear cap space.  They didn't want to take money back.  Gaudette is still waiver free and would have been sent to Milwaukee. 

Poile said that there were 4 teams interested and that NJD was the only team willing to take the full cap hit.  So they went with that offer.  

Shero talked of how the trade came along with Poile asking him to wait.  Friedman believes Nashville was waiting on Toronto before answering to NJD.  Toronto had still to figure out how to clear cap space and they wouldn't have taken the full salary.  Morning of draft day 2 Poile called up Shero saying he was not going to wait further and the trade went through.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

The real hockey god in all of this is Jim Benning for telling Nashville to go pound sand.

Gaudette was doing a LOT of good things at the end of last season.

He gets the puck in the right areas and gets rid of the puck in a hurry. Sneaky sneaky sneaky.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bubble Man said:

Zack MacEwan is a player I’m really excited about as well. He might turn into a guy who can slot into either wing as pure C’s tend to be able to do. I honestly can’t believe how underrated both of these players are. With how rapidly they have trended up they might come into training camp and blow a lot of minds. Zack MacEwan was absolutely savage at times last year on the comets. I’m not a fan of everything JB has done but both of these players are beautiful, nipple tingling assets. 

Lol... Oh really... Couldn't tell.  Seriously Bubbles, I was sure you were a full time troll... This is the first post I've seen if yours with any... I mean any positive perspective on any player on this team....

And I hate to say it but I agree.  MacEwan should and probably will get a good look this year.  And I wouldn't be surprised if he finds a permanent roll on this team by year end.  Thanks for a positive outlook for once.

Oh yah and hockey Gaud will develop into a Justin Williams type of player... book it!

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

It would honestly depend on his offer, but we have a lot of depth at C, so I wouldn't be crushed to send him away for a good package, but I don't think they were probably offering much.

Subban.  Benning didn't want to take the full cap hit and for Nashville that was the key.  They wanted the full 9M off their books and NJD was the only team able/willing to do that.

Nashville has no reason to want Gaudette as stand alone.  They are in a win now mode and if they feel Fiala is too raw - Gaudette needs even more development.  Their key UFA target was Duchene and they needed to clear cap space.  They already have Johansen, Turris, Bonino, Sissons, Jarnkrok as Cs.  

They also feel that Fabbro is ready to take on an increased role.  With their 4 Ds averaging some 25 minutes it doesn't leave much time for him if they didn't move Subban out.

Edited by mll

15 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The reason he would be playing more with the Canucks than Utica is likely because Sutter is injured again. Until we open up room at the NHL level, I can't see Gaudette getting much time barring injury and that's not a bad thing for his development if it's to be a center.

I don't think we need Sutter to be a mentor simply because we have Maholtra in the system to do just so and it's not like EP needed a mentor directly on his line.

I don’t think just Sutter will be the reason he gets recalled. He’ll be the best player in Utica next year. No doubt he will get called up even after a couple wingers go down. Sutter is more depth and that’s only a good thing. Canucks already trimmed a lot of fat and when I look at the depth chart and the potential injuries that will happen I think it’s only wise to keep Sutter for another year.

Petey is on another level. Not many players bust into the league like he did.

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I don’t think just Sutter will be the reason he gets recalled. He’ll be the best player in Utica next year. No doubt he will get called up even after a couple wingers go down. Sutter is more depth and that’s only a good thing. Canucks already trimmed a lot of fat and when I look at the depth chart and the potential injuries that will happen I think it’s only wise to keep Sutter for another year.

Petey is on another level. Not many players bust into the league like he did.

Well I'm for keeping Sutter because I feel he will help our team if healthy. Keeping him another year and hopefully a relatively healthy one should boost his value.

Utica doesn't have a lot of center depth themselves, so not sure how wise it is to put him out of Utica in a winger role. We may have a Perron or Goldobin maybe sent down if they clear waivers that could be dominating in the AHL that could be worth a look if we are down a winger. It really depends on what we are looking to replace which is the point of having the depth.

14 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well I'm for keeping Sutter because I feel he will help our team if healthy. Keeping him another year and hopefully a relatively healthy one should boost his value.

Utica doesn't have a lot of center depth themselves, so not sure how wise it is to put him out of Utica in a winger role. We may have a Perron or Goldobin maybe sent down if they clear waivers that could be dominating in the AHL that could be worth a look if we are down a winger. It really depends on what we are looking to replace which is the point of having the depth.

Yeah I’m hoping the same thing for Sutter he does provide decent value if he can have a healthy season and who knows maybe Gaud is lights out this pre season. Tough to say

8 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I would do Gaudette + Tanev w/ max salary retention for Fabbro in a heartbeat. That would complete our Top-4 defense group for the foreseeable future with Hughes, Fabbro, Juolevi, and Woo. 

Interesting offer..is this kid as good as I've heard?