The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

Part 3 of an interview with Trent Cull.

TRENT CULL: Q&A PART THREE

AUG 31, 2019

As we wrap up our three-part conversation with Comets’ head coach Trent Cull, we touch on one of the biggest questions in development and the players who are ready to break out and take the next step on their way to an NHL future.

UC: Let’s attack a looming question head on. How much does the organization value winning as a form of development?

TC: I can’t speak for the whole organization saying that, but for me, and in my experience, it’s a huge tool for your team to be successful during their development, and I’ll give my example by going back two years ago. Look at the players who had opportunities to play playoff hockey and what they’ve gotten out of that. Off the top of my head: Ashton Sautner, who ended playing in the NHL for a little bit and could become a mainstay. Guillaume Brisebois, who had eight games in the NHL last year. Zack MacEwen made his adjustments. Thatcher Demko. Those are just the guys I can think of right now. Those were core pieces of our team heading into playoffs two years ago, where they got to play in a higher-pressure situation, do-or-die. Toronto even went up 2-0 in that series so it was do-or-die in game three, four, and five. I think those are great opportunities outside of the regular season to see your prospects be in great situations. Sometimes it doesn’t end up right, but when they get a chance to do it again, they can hopefully build on that. Other guys excelled in those situations and it’s such a great window to see those players. For me, it’s an integral piece in developing those guys for the next level. Not only are we developing guys to play in the NHL, but we want them to be very successful and winners in the NHL.

UC: Who do you think is poised to break out this season and make a huge jump to be a big part of the conversation about the future of Vancouver? And who’s someone that fans haven’t been exposed to yet or not as much and could be one of those go-to guys?

TC: Zack MacEwen. He brings a Tom Wilson-like quality to him. He’s a big, strong power forward and I know that is something that Vancouver doesn’t have a ton of and I think there’s a real opportunity for Zack moving forward. The guy who I am also really excited about is Adam Gaudette. And I’m not saying that he’s gonna play for us, but let’s say he was to come to us. I felt like last year he had little, short bursts here. He played two or three games and four or five games at a time here and he spent a majority of his time in the NHL. He’s a guy that I would love to coach throughout the year because I think that there’s some things that he would need to work on here at this level. But he would get a ton of opportunity and ice time here and I would love to see that reaction and watch him. I think he would have some ups and downs to start, but I believe he would take off. I love this group of these defensemen. I really like Sautner’s progression and the way he’s come along. There’s Guillaume Brisebois and Jalen Chatfield as well. They’re guys who skate well and they’re already earning some call ups. Jalen had a few injuries that hurt his development last year, and I’m excited for him. He’s spent the entire summer in Vancouver and he’s working his butt off trying to become a better player. I see Guillaume the same way. I’m excited to see that group of four and how they’re moving along. And there’s quietly guys like Gadjovich and Lind, who I know have done a ton of work on skating and getting better this summer. I still see that these guys can come back and be a big part of us moving forward. And when you’re successful in this league, I find it’s usually surrounded by that young nucleus that’s moving along. And those guys, if they can all take more steps and get better, it will really help our team. 

Cull and the Comets open training camp in late September as they gear up for the 2019-20 season, set to commence on October 5 in Binghamton. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVISITED TO HIT UTICA

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVISITED, ALONG WITH BLUE ÖYSTER CULT & SILVER ARROW, TO HIT UTICA ON OCTOBER 20

SEP 10, 2019

WOUR, along with Garden Entertainment, announced earlier today that Creedence Clearwater Revisited, Blue Öyster Cult and Silver Arrow will play at the Adirondack Bank Center on Sunday, October 20, to round out opening weekend for the Utica Comets. The show will commemorate WOUR’s 50th Birthday and celebrate 50 years of great rock throughout Central New York. This will be the first time Creedence Clearwater Revisited has performed in Utica.

Cosmo and Stu launched their Creedence Clearwater Revisited project to once again perform live in concert the hit songs of Creedence Clearwater Revival -- touchstones of a generation. “The rhythm section, Doug Clifford’s drums and Stu Cook’s bass is a hallmark of Creedence Clearwater Revival,” notes udiscovermusic.com. Since their first show, the legendary rhythm section has been thrilled by the outpouring of affection for the new band. World tours and a platinum selling album Recollection followed. The astounding response has been driven in part by new generations of fans who, as Cosmo says, “weren’t even born when the music came out.”

For over four decades, Blue Öyster Cult has been thrilling fans of intelligent hard rock worldwide with powerful albums loaded with classic songs. Indeed, the Long Island, NY-­based band is revered within the hard rock and heavy metal scene for its pioneering work. Blue Öyster Cult occupies a unique place in rock history because it's one of very few hard rock/heavy metal bands to earn both genuine mainstream critical acclaim as well as commercial success. The band is often cited as a major influence by other acts such as Metallica, and BÖC was listed in VH1's countdown of the greatest hard rock bands of all time.

Based out of Syracuse, New York, Silver Arrow Band started performing together in 2012 and since then, they have made a name for themselves through high energy performances across the country. They have performed with Imagine Dragons, Beyoncé, Bon Jovi, Justin Timberlake, Lady Gaga, Stevie Wonder, Sting, Taylor Swift, and more.

Tickets for the show start at just $49, and are tiered further at $59 and $69, plus fees. Presale tickets are available beginning on Tuesday, September 10 at 10am for WOUR listeners, as well as Comets and Utica City Season Ticket Members, and will run until 10pm on Wednesday, September 11. The general public on-sale will begin at 10 am on Thursday, via the Adirondack Bank Center box office, online at www.empirestatetix.com, or by calling 315-790-9070. The show will begin at 6pm.  

I think I would like to visit Utica this October.  CCR & Blue Oyster Cult, what a concert. :towel:Go Comets!

BACK TO ALL

Damn, Utica Comets thread is Dead.  Zero Excitement.  I think the team is going to have a breakout season.  Several players I’m interested in. I’ll be watching how Lind and Gadjovich develop.  Juolevi and McEwen look very close.  Utica will probably have Gaudette for a full season seeing how deep the Canucks are now.   

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2019 at 7:05 PM, Pure961089 said:

Damn, Utica Comets thread is Dead.  Zero Excitement.  I think the team is going to have a breakout season.  Several players I’m interested in. I’ll be watching how Lind and Gadjovich develop.  Juolevi and McEwen look very close.  Utica will probably have Gaudette for a full season seeing how deep the Canucks are now.   

Their first preseason game isn't until the 27th and there's still a lot of questions as to who will even be on the roster (Gaudette?, Goldobin?). Hard to get excited about vapours.

COMETS ANNOUNCE 2019-20 PRESEASON ROSTER

Sep 23, 2019

Utica, N.Y. – Utica Comets General Manager Ryan Johnson announced today the team’s training camp roster, which comprises of 17 forwards, 11 defensemen and three goalies. More players are expected to be added in the coming days.

The following players have been assigned by the Vancouver Canucks:

Justin Bailey – Right Wing

Reid Boucher – Left Wing

Michael DiPietro – Goalie

Mitch Eliot – Defense

Jonah Gadjovich – Left Wing

Lukas Jasek – Right Wing

Olli Juolevi – Defense

Jake Kielly – Goalie

Kole Lind – Right Wing

Zane McIntyre – Goalie

Francis Perron – Left Wing

Brogan Rafferty – Defense

Ashton Sautner – Defense

Josh Teves – Defense

The following players are attending under an AHL contract:

Vincent Arseneau – Left Wing

Carter Bancks – Left Wing

Dylan Blujus – Defense

Carter Camper – Center

Zach Frye – Defense

Wacey Hamilton – Center

Stefan LeBlanc – Defense

Seamus Malone – Center

Matt Petgrave – Defense

Dylan Sadowy – Right Wing

Tanner Sorenson – Center

Dyson Stevenson – Right Wing

Aaron Thow – Defense

The following players have been invited on a professional tryout:

Gregg Burmaster – Center

Ian Edmondson – Defense

Matt Iacopelli – Right Wing

Boston Leier – Right Wing

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomatoPieFan said:

Sep 23, 2019

Utica, N.Y. – Utica Comets General Manager Ryan Johnson announced today the team’s training camp roster, which comprises of 17 forwards, 11 defensemen and three goalies. More players are expected to be added in the coming days.

Reid Boucher – Left Wing

Mitch Eliot – Defense

Lukas Jasek – Right Wing

Olli Juolevi – Defense

Jake Kielly – Goalie

Kole Lind – Right Wing

Zane McIntyre – Goalie

Ashton Sautner – Defense

Josh Teves – Defense

Dylan Blujus – Defense

Carter Camper – Center

Zach Frye – Defense

Wacey Hamilton – Center

Stefan LeBlanc – Defense

Seamus Malone – Center

Matt Petgrave – Defense

Tanner Sorenson – Center

Aaron Thow – Defense

Gregg Burmaster – Center

Ian Edmondson – Defense

Much more competitive team this year... Finally starting to see the home grown quality talent on the roster!  

4 hours ago, TomatoPieFan said:

Sep 23, 2019

Reid Boucher – Left Wing

Mitch Eliot – Defense

Lukas Jasek – Right Wing

Olli Juolevi – Defense

Jake Kielly – Goalie

Kole Lind – Right Wing

Zane McIntyre – Goalie

Ashton Sautner – Defense

Josh Teves – Defense

Dylan Blujus – Defense

Carter Camper – Center

Zach Frye – Defense

Wacey Hamilton – Center

Stefan LeBlanc – Defense

Seamus Malone – Center

Matt Petgrave – Defense

Tanner Sorenson – Center

Aaron Thow – Defense

Gregg Burmaster – Center

Ian Edmondson – Defense

This D core looks promising. Less pressure on Juolevi on being the "guy."

SPECIAL TEAMS HELP COMETS ROUT DEVILS

SEP 27, 2019

Utica, N.Y. – The Comets went 2-3 on the man advantage and scored two shorthanded goals en route to a 6-1 win over the Binghamton Devils Friday night at the Adirondack Bank Center. Jonah Gadjovich, Dylan Sadowy, Francis Perron, Justin Bailey, Aaron Thow, and Matt Iacopelli all found the net for Utica. Goaltenders Mikey DiPietro and Jake Kielly split the game, with DiPietro stopping nine of 10 shots and Kielly stopping all 13 shots he faced.

Gadjovich got the Comets on the board 5:45 into the opening frame, tipping a shot from Olli Juolevi on the power play. Perron also tallied an assist on the goal. The Comets dominated the period, outshooting Binghamton 13-3 and did not allow a shot on goal during their lone penalty kill.

Chris Conner evened things up at one off of a Comets defensive zone turnover 1:40 into the second period. Sadowy beat Senn through a screen to put Utica back on top with 14:21 to go in the middle stanza. Clinton, N.Y.-native and Utica College alum Gregg Burmaster and Mitch Eliot earned assists on the power play strike.

Perron put Utica up by two at the 8:59 mark of the period. The forward chased down a loose puck and buried a wrist shot top corner. Dyson Stevenson had the assist. Utica didn’t let up from there as Bailey snuck a shot through the five-hole of Senn for a shorthanded marker with 5:30 remaining in the second.

Thow got in on the action with a shorthanded goal of his own 4:59 into the third period, tapping in a cross-ice feed from Bailey. Iacopelli continued the onslaught two and a half minutes later, beating Senn with a snap shot from the slot. The Comets shut down the Devils in the final stages of the game, including two big penalty kills, to secure the win.

The Comets and Devils square off again tomorrow night in Binghamton at 7:05 p.m. to wrap up the preseason. Utica will kick off the home portion of their regular season on Wednesday, October 16.

P

TIME

Team

Goal

Assist

Assist

Type

Score

5:44

UTI

J. Gadjovich

O. Juolevi