The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

This from the Canucks website gets into details:

Note: Biega, Baertschi and Goldobin are not expected to arrive in Utica until next week, according to coach Trent Cull.

Goaltenders

The team has a nice blend of youth and experience to lean on in the crease. The veterans McIntyre and Bachman can help bring along the youngsters in DiPietro and Kielly.

• Zane McIntyre - 27-years-old
  • Richard Bachman - 32-years-old
  • Michael DiPietro - 20-years-old
  • Jake Kielly - 23-years-old (Assigned to Kalamazoo Wings, ECHL)

Defensemen

The organization's addition of defensive depth at the NHL level has shifted veteran Alex Biega down to Utica for the time being. The former Comets captain will be a welcomed addition to what looks like a quick, young blueline.

• Olli Juolevi: LD - 21-years-old
  • Ashton Sautner: LD - 25-years-old
  • Guillaume Brisebois: LD - 22-years-old
  • Josh Teves: LD - 24-years-old
  • Stefan LeBlanc: LD - 23-years-old, (AHL deal)
  • Alex Biega: RD - 31-years-old, (AHL veteran status)
  • Jalen Chatfield: RD - 23-years-old
  • Brogan Rafferty: RD - 24-years-old
  • Mitch Eliot: RD - 21-years-old
  • Dylan Blujus: RD - 25-years-old, (AHL deal)
  • Matt PetGrave: LD - 27-years-old, AHL deal, assigned to Brampton Beast, ECHL)
  • Aaron Thow: LD - 24-years-old, (AHL deal, assigned to Kalamazoo Wings, ECHL)
  • Zach Frye: LD - 25-years-old, (AHL deal, assigned to Kalamazoo Wings, ECHL)

Forwards

Up front, this is as deep as the Comets roster has looked in recent memory, giving the coaching staff a solid blend of quick, skilled players to go along with some size and defensive awareness. Trent Cull and his crew will be able to insulate the young prospects with some higher-end veterans who can help them along at the AHL level.

Some players have already been assigned to the ECHL to serve as depth, while there will be some decisions to be made on others as the Canucks and Comets sort out their current injury situations.

AHL teams can dress up to five players in a game who carry AHL veteran status, plus one who is considered AHL veteran exempt. The team currently has seven players: Carter Bancks, Wacey Hamilton, Carter Camper, Tyler Graovac, Sven Baertschi, Reid Boucher, and defender Alex Biega, who are considered AHL veterans, while Nikolay Goldobin and Justin Bailey count as veteran exempt. There could be some line juggling until injuries and/or call-ups hit the club.

With four goaltenders, 13 defensemen, and 18 forwards available to them, Utica's coaching staff will have some pretty solid depth at the ready. The AHL is known for being a league that uses a lot of players throughout the season as bodies are called up to the NHL level or lost to injuries. The depth that has been added this season should go a long way in insulating the club for those inevitable needs.

• Reid Boucher: LW/RW - 26-years-old, (AHL veteran status)
  • Zack MacEwen: RW - 23-years-old
  • Boston Leier: LW - 26-years-old (PTO)
  • Francis Perron: LW - 23-years-old
  • Justin Bailey: RW - 24-years-old, (AHL veteran exempt status)
  • Lukas Jasek: LW/RW/C - 22-years-old
  • Kole Lind: RW/LW - 20-years-old
  • Jonah Gadjovich: LW/RW - 20-years-old
  • Nikolay Goldobin: LW/RW - 24-years-old, (AHL veteran exempt status)
  • Sven Baertschi: LW - 27-years-old, AHL veteran status)
  • Carter Camper: C - 31-years-old, (AHL deal, AHL veteran status)
  • Tyler Graovac: C - 26-years-old, (AHL veteran status)
  • Carter Bancks: LW/RW/C - 30-years-old, (AHL deal, AHL veteran status)
  • Wacey Hamilton: LW/RW/C - 29-years-old, (AHL deal, AHL veteran status)
  • Vincent Arseneau: LW/RW - 27-years-old, (AHL deal)
  • Dyson Stevenson: LW/RW/C - 26-years-old, (AHL deal)
  • Seamus Malone: LW/RW/C - 23-years-old, (AHL deal)
  • Dylan Sadowy: LW/RW - 23-years-old, (AHL deal, assigned to Kalamazoo Wings, ECHL)
  • Tanner Sorenson: C - 26-years-old, (AHL deal, assigned to Kalamazoo Wings, ECHL)

There is no roster limit in the American League, so the Comets can carry as many players as they feel necessary to help them get through the season. There could still be some moves made in terms of depth players shuffling up or down, but what you see is more or less what the Utica Comets roster will look like for opening night on Saturday.

Stay tuned as we will be bringing you bi-weekly Utica Comets updates throughout the 2019/20 season.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-utica-comets/c-309648944

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

And they signed to start the contract after last season, to begin with this season, right?

So a team couldn't be in Abbotsford until 2021-22 then, correct?

Seattle will have a team by then, won't it? Do we know where their farm team will be?

Edited by John_Guest

4 hours ago, John_Guest said:

And they signed to start the contract after last season, to begin with this season, right?

So a team couldn't be in Abbotsford until 2021-22 then, correct?

Seattle will have a team by then, won't it? Do we know where their farm team will be?

Seattle's farm team will play in Palm Springs I believe

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Seattle's farm team will play in Palm Springs I believe

Seattle's AHL team will be in Palm Springs.  It was officially announced by the league this week after it was unofficially announced several months ago. Palm Springs was chosen due to closer proximity to other Cali based AHL teams instead of putting the team close to Seattle.  I'm not sure how many Cali based markets are available to Vancouver to do the same.  They are building a new 10,000 seat arena for the new Palm Springs AHL team.

• Thanks 1

Well, first game of the season for our Comets.  They are playing the Devil's farm team at 4 pm.  If you go to theahl.com they are showing it for free.  You can watch the Comets game and then watch the Canucks. :)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Well, first game of the season for our Comets.  They are playing the Devil's farm team at 4 pm.  If you go to theahl.com they are showing it for free.  You can watch the Comets game and then watch the Canucks. :)

nice, 4pm pacific i assume?

The comets look like they have a promising roster this season. They look deep offensively and defensively with the only real question mark being at goal.

With the additions of Biega, Goldobin and Baer(even for a bit)  they'll be even more so deep.

We will see though.

• Cheers 1

SECOND PERIOD SURGE LIFTS COMETS TO OPENING NIGHT WIN

Oct 5, 2019

Binghamton, NY – Two new Utica Comets scored in their debuts and many familiar faces picked up where they left off during a 4-3 win over the Binghamton Devils in the opening game of the season at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena on Saturday.

After the Comets had a goal disallowed at 6:26 of the opening frame, the Devils took the night’s first lead with a bang-bang play in the attacking zone. After a shot was blocked near the blue line, the puck angled to Mikhail Maltsev, who sent it to Nathan Bastian across the ice for a one-time strike and the only goal of the first period.

The Comets took complete control in the second period, beginning just 1:23 into the session. Carter Camper was sprung in the high slot and took a shot that appeared to be stopped, but it leaked over the line and in, tying the game at one. Reid Boucher followed it up 53 seconds later and put the Comets ahead by finishing a tape-to-tape feed from Kole Lind.

The relentless pressure continued and Justin Bailey registered his first goal as a Comet at the 6:50 mark, cracking open a 3-1 lead for Utica. Bailey raced up the left wing side and called his own number on a two-on-one, slipping a wrist shot through the legs of Evan Cormier and in. That wasn’t the end of Utica’s second period domination, as Guillaume Brisebois added to the outburst by lifting a shot into the top corner of the goal from a Boucher delivery at 14:09 of the frame.

Binghamton got back on the board just after the midway point of the third period and cut into the Utica lead, as another backdoor play rewarded Josh Jacobs for his first of the year. With time winding down and Cormier on the bench for an extra attacker, the Devils inched to within one with a scramble in front of the goal that allowed Joey Anderson to score.

Utica withstood the late surge and slammed the door shut in the waning moments and capped off the road win.

I am kind of shocked Mcintyre is on the Comet roster over Kielly. He looked horrid in pre season I thought for sure he would be in the echl. I thought Kielly had some high hopes behind him when we signed him, thought he had a handshake agreement when he signed to be on the AHL team, guess I was wrong.

Maybe they didnt want 2 younger non pro G on the Comets? I would have to assume Kielly would adapt better than Dipietro as he played college vs Junior. Here is to hoping they both have good years wherever they play.

ECHL pay can't be that great, but Kielly must have gotten a signing bonus when we signed him last spring?

Glad to hear Lind had a nice stat line, hoping he can make the NHL, Gadj has to either get meaner or improve his skating to make the next level

17 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Baertschi, Biega, and Goldobin have not arrived yet so they will not play as they figure out their visa.

How can players who play in both the US and Canada especially Biega have visa problems? I think it's to make Utica more contract compliant that's the problem. I have nothing personal against McIntyre, but I'd rather see DiPietro and Keilly. Bachman should be sent to the ECHL.

Edited by Ghostsof1915

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How can players who play in both the US and Canada especially Biega have visa problems? I think it's to make Utica more contract compliant that's the problem. I have nothing personal against McIntyre, but I'd rather see DiPietro and Keilly. Bachman should be sent to the ECHL.

Can't just go and live in another country without a visa.