The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

55 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I am kind of shocked Mcintyre is on the Comet roster over Kielly. He looked horrid in pre season I thought for sure he would be in the echl. I thought Kielly had some high hopes behind him when we signed him, thought he had a handshake agreement when he signed to be on the AHL team, guess I was wrong.

Maybe they didnt want 2 younger non pro G on the Comets? I would have to assume Kielly would adapt better than Dipietro as he played college vs Junior. Here is to hoping they both have good years wherever they play.

ECHL pay can't be that great, but Kielly must have gotten a signing bonus when we signed him last spring?

Glad to hear Lind had a nice stat line, hoping he can make the NHL, Gadj has to either get meaner or improve his skating to make the next level

McIntyre was signed as a free agent by Benning over the summer to be the number 3 goalie on the depth chart and the primary call up if Markstrom or Demko go down.  They do not trust Bachman to be in that role any longer and want a veteran in that role not a first year pro.  The plan from day one was to have either Kielly or DiPietro start in the ECHL.  And for those thinking that Bachman or McIntyre should have been sent to the ECHL it is not permitted under the CBA.  Only players on ELCs can be sent to the "E".  Refer to the discussion in the DiPietro thread.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

But if Beiga has been playing in Utica for years. Pretty sure he's not the one with the visa issues.

I believe all 3 players would either be applying for a green card which is valid for 10 years or they would have applied for a re-entry permit before they previously left the U.S.. In this case, all 3 players have been outside of the U.S. for more than 6 months so they would all have lost their green card.

As a permanent resident or conditional permanent resident you can travel outside the United States for up to 6 months without losing your green card. ... If you intend to stay outside the United States for a year or more you will need a Reentry Permit.

The only other option that I could see would be a H-1B visa which has the following criteria.

The H-1B is a visa in the United States under the Immigration and Nationality Act, section 101 that allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations.

Currently, to qualify for an H1B visa, a company mist be willing to pay a qualifying worker a minimum salary of $60,000 annually. Under the new regulations, companies would be required to pay a minimum of $130,000 annually

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I believe all 3 players would either be applying for a green card which is valid for 10 years or they would have applied for a re-entry permit before they previously left the U.S.. In this case, all 3 players have been outside of the U.S. for more than 6 months so they would all have lost their green card.

As a permanent resident or conditional permanent resident you can travel outside the United States for up to 6 months without losing your green card. ... If you intend to stay outside the United States for a year or more you will need a Reentry Permit.

The only other option that I could see would be a H-1B visa which has the following criteria.

The H-1B is a visa in the United States under the Immigration and Nationality Act, section 101 that allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations.

Currently, to qualify for an H1B visa, a company mist be willing to pay a qualifying worker a minimum salary of $60,000 annually. Under the new regulations, companies would be required to pay a minimum of $130,000 annually

Thanks for the clarification. Guess that does give another bonus for having the team play in Abbotsford instead of Utica. Less Visa issues. Lol

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How can players who play in both the US and Canada especially Biega have visa problems? I think it's to make Utica more contract compliant that's the problem. I have nothing personal against McIntyre, but I'd rather see DiPietro and Keilly. Bachman should be sent to the ECHL.

There is no contract limits in the AHL. There is however paperwork that needs doing when your employer changes from being located in Vancouver to being located on the other side of the continent in the states.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

I am kind of shocked Mcintyre is on the Comet roster over Kielly. He looked horrid in pre season I thought for sure he would be in the echl. I thought Kielly had some high hopes behind him when we signed him, thought he had a handshake agreement when he signed to be on the AHL team, guess I was wrong.

Maybe they didnt want 2 younger non pro G on the Comets? I would have to assume Kielly would adapt better than Dipietro as he played college vs Junior. Here is to hoping they both have good years wherever they play.

I think they liked what they saw from Kielly but have sent him down to play lots of games as he still needs some refining. I wouldn't be surprised if he spent at least half the season with the Comets.

• Upvote 1

My personal opinion is that the visa issues are accurate but only part of the issue.  My bet is Benning is still trying to trade Goldobin and he will be here next week if a trade can't be completed.  I think Baertschi and Biega are given extra time to report out of courtesy to veteran players with families.  The Comets played just one game this weekend and don't play again until next Saturday. Plenty of time for all three to get here next week before the next Comets game.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

My personal opinion is that the visa issues are accurate but only part of the issue.  My bet is Benning is still trying to trade Goldobin and he will be here next week if a trade can't be completed.  I think Baertschi and Biega are given extra time to report out of courtesy to veteran players with families.  The Comets played just one game this weekend and don't play again until next Saturday. Plenty of time for all three to get here next week before the next Comets game.

That makes more sense. 

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Thanks for the clarification. Guess that does give another bonus for having the team play in Abbotsford instead of Utica. Less Visa issues. Lol

The red star furthest east in the middle of New York State is Utica.  Pretty short bus rides to all of their rivals leaving plenty of time for practice.  Keeping the same zoom level I was only able to show two teams in the same frame as Abbotsford.  Most likely if the Canucks do move their AHL team out west it will be in SoCal to be closer to other AHL teams and the same visa issues will persist.

IMG_20191006_134557_5894.jpg

IMG_20191006_134520_4200.jpg

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

he still needs a visa.

not with our organization so not our problem, he was going to report to utica today apparently so must have gotten that all sorted out. Best of luck to the hard working Bulldog, carved out a decent pro hockey career 

Good luck Bulldog.  Aside from Archie, Biega was the most popular Comet.  Their son was born in Utica.

Vancouver Canucks trade Alex Biega to Detroit Red Wings

It may be late, but not too late for a trade. The Vancouver Canucks have traded defenceman Alex Biega to the Detroit Red Wings for left winger David Pope.

In what appears to be an attempt to give more minutes to their younger defencemen in the AHL playing with the Utica Comets, the Vancouver Canucks have traded defenceman Alex Biega to the Detroit Red Wings in exchange for left winger David Pope.

Pope played junior hockey in the British Columbia Hockey League with the Cowichan Valley Capitals and the West Kelowna Warriors. He was taken in the fourth round, 109th overall, by the Red Wings in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.

UPDATE: Sportsnet650’s Rick Dhaliwal has reported that Biega is asleep and doesn’t know that he’s been traded. Both the Canucks and the Red Wings, along with his agent, have tried calling him but he won’t pick up. Biega does not know that he’s been traded.

PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES

a. Temporary Visas for Professional Athletes

Professional athletes can come to the U.S. to participate in tournaments or competitions using a visa waiver (if he or she comes from a visa waiver country) or by using a B-1 Visitor visa.

A professional athlete who is in the U.S. on a visa waiver or B-1 visa cannot earn money in the U.S. other than prize money from tournaments. The professional athlete is expected to have a residence outside the U.S. that he or she will return to after the competition is complete. This visa is not appropriate if the athlete wants to live in the U.S. full time.

Professional athletes who want to live in the U.S. full time (or earn income other than prize money) generally must qualify for either the P-1 visa for athletes who have achieved international recognition or the O-1 visa for aliens with extraordinary ability.

In either case, the professional athlete’s visa application must be sponsored by an employer or agent. My firm has developed innovative techniques for athletes who are traditionally self-employed, such as tennis or golf athletes.

The P-1 visa is usually easier for a professional athlete to qualify for. It will be issued for the length of the season or contract up to five years. The visa is renewable.

The O-1 visa for aliens with extraordinary ability is more difficult to obtain than a P-1 visa for athletes with international recognition, but the requirements for the O-1 are similar to a green card. The O-1 visa is usually issued for the length of a season or a contract up to three years.

b. Permanent Residence for Professional Athletes

There are a number of options for professional athletes who want to live in the U.S. permanently.
    • EB-1 alien with extraordinary ability. This can be a self-petition, no employer is required.
    • EB-2 alien with exceptional abilities in the arts, sciences or business WITH a national interest waiver. The USCIS has stated that the “arts” include athletics. This can be a self-petition, no employer is required.
    • EB-2 alien with exceptional ability or advanced degreed professional WITH pre-certification under Schedule A Group II (exceptional ability in the arts and sciences). The USCIS has stated that the “arts” include athletics.
    • EB-2 alien with exceptional ability in the arts, sciences or business or advanced degreed professionals. The USCIS has stated that the “arts” include athletics
    • EB-3 skilled or professional worker. An athlete or coach can be viewed as a skilled or professional position.

For all but the first two options, an employer/sponsor and permanent job offer is required. In the last three options, the athlete and employer must complete a process called PERM labor certification, which can take 6 to 9 months.