The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Actually, the Boston fanbase is far more tame than the Vancouver fanbase from what I've seen. Probably because their city actually.... win things.... :(

But seriously. Often, they'll be fine with things that a lot of the complainers here would loose their minds about. There's a lot of elitism on these boards with people thinking they know more than they actually do and I'm not talking about homerism.

I meant the media in those cities, not the fan base. The media is vicious and sports talk radio/print/whatever is a lot more ridiculous.

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

If its a 4 year deal I don't see how he could expect 6m+ if we use Timo Meier as a comparable. Who just signed the exact contract were talking about back loaded 4 years 6m aav. Meier out performed Brock in every metric with a full 10 point spread between him and Brock.

I have been saying this over and over why pay Brock more than Bo when he hasn't been able to out score Bo and hes given every opportunity to do so. He's simply not a better player than Bo is at least right now. Think it sends the wrong message to sign him short term for more money. If hes signing for 7 or 8 years possibly but 4 years 5.2M is what I think he's worth. 

He hasn't hit 30 goals or managed to stay healthy his 200 ft game is mediocre, physicality non existent ,and his speed is lacking. Don't get me wrong I like Brock and think hes a bright part of our future. I just also want that future to be bright.

If he won't sign I bet Columbus, NYI, Minni would pay a kings ransom for him. 

I'm less worried about the direct money comparison, but I think something to really think about is the structure of the contract.

Meier signed a back loaded contract so that it forces him to still be an RFA when his deal expires, but that final year his base salary is 10 mil meaning the Sharks would be qualifying an offer at 10 mil. If San Jose does send him a QO which automatically starts at 10 mil and guarantees him a slight raise as well, Meier would be smart to just accept the QO (which would only be for one year) which gives him plenty of leverage on the Sharks.  Either SJ pays up big long term to resign him or he walks straight into UFA which almost guarantees that the player gets paid big time going forward.

Starting to wonder if that this could definitely be a tactic for new RFA's..  Backloading a final year of their deal that leaves them still a RFA but having that final year so high in base salary that they automatically accept a QO (if they recieve one) and wait out the one year and walk right into UFA status.  If they are good it almost certainly guarantees them a big pay day either with their team or another. 

Very interesting how the NHL has gradually shifted in the last 20 years.  Before young RFA's had very little leverage, and now in today's NHL they have all the leverage haha.

13 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Very interesting how the NHL has gradually shifted in the last 20 years.  Before young RFA's had very little leverage, and now in today's NHL they have all the leverage haha.

Hopefully in the next cba that changes. It would not surprise me if it did as the current structure is forcing out anyone with experience and is a bit older.

A young 20s player scoring for tens of millions seems wrong imo.

Oh well....

• Cheers 2

I was watching the Hockey Guy on youtube, and he had a good explanation for the shorter term contracts.  The new tv deal will be coming up, and that could add a significant amount to the cap ceiling.  Why lock in for long term now, when you can wait, and get a real payday in 4-5 years?  Give some of these big contracts long enough, and they start to look like deals as the cap keeps going up.

Edited by Solinar
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm less worried about the direct money comparison, but I think something to really think about is the structure of the contract.

Meier signed a back loaded contract so that it forces him to still be an RFA when his deal expires, but that final year his base salary is 10 mil meaning the Sharks would be qualifying an offer at 10 mil. If San Jose does send him a QO which automatically starts at 10 mil and guarantees him a slight raise as well, Meier would be smart to just accept the QO (which would only be for one year) which gives him plenty of leverage on the Sharks.  Either SJ pays up big long term to resign him or he walks straight into UFA which almost guarantees that the player gets paid big time going forward.

Starting to wonder if that this could definitely be a tactic for new RFA's..  Backloading a final year of their deal that leaves them still a RFA but having that final year so high in base salary that they automatically accept a QO (if they recieve one) and wait out the one year and walk right into UFA status.  If they are good it almost certainly guarantees them a big pay day either with their team or another. 

I don't like it Brock IMO hasn't earned the right to expect this sort of money.

Has he scored 30 goals? Nope...

Has he played a full season? Nope...

Does he backcheck like an animal? Forecheck?... Again nope

I don't think he is better than Bo and in my mind hasn't proved it thus far. We saw how him trying to throw a hit worked out.... Nearly ended his career. Would I trade him straight up for Meier heck yes I would. I think he is a better player than he has shown but I'm not paying for maybe's what if's. If I'm JB and Brock is being a stick in the mud trying to bend me over a barrel I'm taking a hard look at my options in trade and I'm not doing the kid a solid. I'm banking he liked playing with Pete and having the opportunities he has had here  that he wouldn't have been afforded playing on a contender. JB show some sack here you hold all the cards if Brock and co want to play hard ball throw one high inside. Don't need entitlement issues in our room from a kid who hasn't shown he even wants to be here. Not paying through the teeth for a cool hairdoo.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Provost said:

It would be one year until UFA and the ability to go to arbitration to skate for a one year contract and becoming a UFA.

They probably want to backload it for a big qualifying offer too.

No thanks.

No rush, wait for a 6+ year deal as training camp nears.  

Of course his camp wants a short deal as his numbers will be hugely inflated by playing with Petterson on all the premium minutes.

If vancouver is smart they will split the two of them up on seperate lines as petey tends to dish to much rather than shoot when BB is on his wing 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Brock Boeser is one of the most humble guys on the team, along with Pettersson.  to say he feels entitled is hogwash!!!!

Entitled is expecting a bigger paycheck than Bo who just outscored you with Baertschi, Leivo, Motte, Granlund, Pearson for line mates taking on the best of the NHL every night. 

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

The media isn't even that bad, people are just marshmallow soft.

"wah, waahhh... don't say anything bad about my awesome team!!!"

Imagine living in New York or Boston or Philly lol.

Being incessantly negative and critical all the time, whether warranted or not, is the easiest thing to do and "cheapest" talk there is.  Any child can do it.  Give me someone with not only hockey knowledge but actual analytical insight any time, and the media here is SORELY lacking in that.  It's not only that it's negative nearly all the time (and they admit that's what sells ratings) it's that it is bereft of depth of thought, not to mention often short on facts or a faulty interpretation of them.  And for how critical media in places like Boston can be, the way they can be blatant homers would put Apollo and Alf to shame.  John Garrett ain't got NOTHING on them.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Being incessantly negative and critical all the time, whether warranted or not, is the easiest thing to do and "cheapest" talk there is.  Any child can do it.  Give me someone with not only hockey knowledge but actual analytical insight any time, and the media here is SORELY lacking in that.  It's not only that it's negative nearly all the time (and they admit that's what sells ratings) it's that it is bereft of depth of thought, not to mention often short on facts or a faulty interpretation of them.  And for how critical media in places like Boston can be, the way they can be blatant homers would put Apollo and Alf to shame.  John Garrett ain't got NOTHING on them.

Can't disagree with you on the media lacking on hockey knowledge / thoughtful insight. Haven't listened to the radio in years, it causes the loss of brain cells (not because of the waves, but because of how dumb it is... just to be clear lol).

Edited by kanucks25
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Can't disagree with you on the media lacking on hockey knowledge / thoughtful insight. Haven't listened to the radio in years, it causes the loss of brain cells (not because of the waves, but because of how dumb it is... just to be clear lol).

Kudos, not missing much.  It's only when they get a decent guest on that it's worth listening to, and I only hear it when I flip stations on my way in or home from work.  What's perplexing is when one of the normally level-headed and reasonable ones suddenly goes off on some completely obscure tangent or opinion that's out of character, or the usual mocker suddenly becomes reasonable and complimentary... and you wonder if you've come across WWE and they've switched roles.

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Kudos, not missing much.  It's only when they get a decent guest on that it's worth listening to, and I only hear it when I flip stations on my way in or home from work.  What's perplexing is when one of the normally level-headed and reasonable ones suddenly goes off on some completely obscure tangent or opinion that's out of character, or the usual mocker suddenly becomes reasonable and complimentary... and you wonder if you've come across WWE and they've switched roles.

They have to be characters, have hot takes, strong opinions, etc. It's their job, it gets clicks and whatnot. Bob "indoor shades" McCown has pretty much admit in the past that his schtick is completely fabricated. 

And yeah, it's only worth listening when they have an interesting guest, but I can usually find a direct snippet of that on Canucks Reddit or something :P

And, as a side-note, I suggest Canucks reddit for anyone looking for another place to chat Canucks; it's a good balance between CDC and HF.

Edited by kanucks25

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Hopefully in the next cba that changes. It would not surprise me if it did as the current structure is forcing out anyone with experience and is a bit older.

A young 20s player scoring for tens of millions seems wrong imo.

Oh well....

I think this is a National Hockey League design..  

look at how many teams are stuck with contracts like L Erikssonk’s,.  the time of UFA will come early to a younger player, but shorter in term.  At the end of that term, say it’s around the age of 30, a team will have a better assessment of a players abilities, his 2nd UFA would probably be even shorter and less payout, given the fact that talented youth is a driving force in this league now. < the NHL wants this.

In general, a team will pay more or the same for shorter prime years, than get handcuffed with a player coming out of prime for a longer period..

Ps. Drew Doughty will be 38 years old in the last season of his contract and still collecting 11m per & an 11m caphit .

Edited by SilentSam
Ps.

Reddit's not bad, visit there regularly but a lot of what's posted is just trash, bored kids making up memes with zero Photoshop or even MS Paint skills, and the conversations turn to nothing fairly quickly in the threads.  Easy enough to bypass though, and sometimes there are some good nuggets of info found there.  As for HF, that's a place you don't go near without a hazmat suit and de-louse afterwards... unless maybe if you're an Oilers/Flames/Leafs fan and hate the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

I don't like it Brock IMO hasn't earned the right to expect this sort of money.

Has he scored 30 goals? Nope...

Has he played a full season? Nope...

Does he backcheck like an animal? Forecheck?... Again nope

I don't think he is better than Bo and in my mind hasn't proved it thus far. We saw how him trying to throw a hit worked out.... Nearly ended his career. Would I trade him straight up for Meier heck yes I would. I think he is a better player than he has shown but I'm not paying for maybe's what if's. If I'm JB and Brock is being a stick in the mud trying to bend me over a barrel I'm taking a hard look at my options in trade and I'm not doing the kid a solid. I'm banking he liked playing with Pete and having the opportunities he has had here  that he wouldn't have been afforded playing on a contender. JB show some sack here you hold all the cards if Brock and co want to play hard ball throw one high inside. Don't need entitlement issues in our room from a kid who hasn't shown he even wants to be here. Not paying through the teeth for a cool hairdoo.

I feel exactly the same way and would not be against a BB trade at all........... depending on the term of course.  If I was JB, I'd hold firm on BB at a reasonable salary on a bridge deal.........he hasn't earned significant money yet, imo.  If he holds out, hes a huge chip in a big trade which might actually put Van much farther ahead than keeping him.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1