The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap information, misconceptions, Rosters makeup, things you really should know before you post

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

14 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I have been reading a lot of posts on this forum lately where people are correcting misinformation, the Leivo signing is just another example in a string of signing posts I and I'm sure many of you have noticed this.

Here is just a few of the things I have noticed PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST OTHERs THAT I HAVE MISSED.

1) Roster Max is 23, this is important to note when you are looking at Capfriendly and you post, "we only have $5.5mill in cap space available to sign Boeser, a trade is imminent, (Eriksson, Sutter and Tanev seem to be your guys favorite example) this is not true, Capfriendly is showing currently a 27 man roster they are not predicting which player is making the team.

23 player roster example;

Forwards,

Pearson, $3,750,000    Pettersson  $925000    Miller $5,250,000

Baertschi, $3,366,666    Horvat, $5,500,000    Boeser, $6,500,000

Roussel, $3,000,000    Sutter, $4,375,000    Beagle, $3,000,000

Eriksson,  $6,000,000  Gaudette, $916,666  Virtanen, $1,250,000

Defence

Motte,  $975,000   Leivo $1,500,000

Edler, $6,000,000  Myers, $6,000,000

Hughes, $916,666  Tanev, $4,450,000

Benn, $2,000,000  Stecher, $2,325,000

Fantenberg, $850,000 Biega $916,666

Goalies

Markström, $3,666,667

Demko, $1,050,000

This is a 24 Player roster I will explain that in point 2. I have Schaller Buried with a cap hit of $825,000, Luongo, re-cap at $3,033,206 and Spooner, bought out at $1,033,333, and their are Bonuses of $4,550,000

Total Cap hit is $79,283,204, Their are Bonuses of $4,550,000

Cap Remaining, $2,216,796,

2) The reason their is a 24 man roster is cause if Roussel is on LTIR their will be no cap relieve for him cause they are not at max cap in this scenario. A team must be at the ceiling of the cap to replace the cap of the injured player. If they are not then the player goes on IR and the team can replace the roster spot with out exceeding the roster max.

3) Schaller could be on the team at the beginning of the season but never play a game for us, this is due to point 2 Schaller has a higher cap then Gaudette, for example. Gaud is waiver exempt next season and can not be claimed. We can probably expect this with a couple players. After day one of the season Gaud could be called back and Schaller buried and the Canucks can still utilize the LTIR cap replacement of Roussel. So you don't have to be surprised if Petty is sent to Utica before the first day of the start of the season.

4) Boeser could be signed on the first day the season starts. On the first day of the season, The Canucks could have 23 player roster with Roussel on it re-shuffle their whole lineup place Roussel on LTIR and then sign Boeser to fill Roussel spot on the roster. This could be very tricky to do so but it can be done. There is no rule that the injured player has to be replaced by a currently signed player. It will be very interesting to see where Baertschi is at the beginning of training camp with his concussion issue. Roussel and Baer cap hits total, $6.367 million this would make the start of the season signing much easier and then time would determine if trades or other roster movements would have to be made when Roussel comes back or if other injuries could be placed on LTIR. 

On the first day of the season doesn’t Boeser become available to get offersheeted? 

I just usually go with https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks. They are saying that we currently have $5.5M. If Roussel goes on LTIR, we should be able to add $3M more, no? A potential trade of Tanev and Sutter (without getting much salary back) would do wonders to our cap space and allow us to look at remaining FAs such as Ferland and Dzingel.

11 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I just usually go with https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks. They are saying that we currently have $5.5M. If Roussel goes on LTIR, we should be able to add $3M more, no? A potential trade of Tanev and Sutter (without getting much salary back) would do wonders to our cap space and allow us to look at remaining FAs such as Ferland and Dzingel.

Mods just delete my OP completely people don't seem to read them anyways

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

:picard:

4 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Mods just delete my OP completely people don't seem to read them anyways

:lol:

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Motte and Leivo are the top defensive pairing?

The element of surprise will be their greatest asset.

The opposition will be skating down and they'll be like... "What the heck is going on....?" Thus a turnover and a scoring chance going the other way.  

• Haha 2

Fans should go to Capfreindly and set themselves up as an armchair GM. Then build a team. You can trade, buy out and shuffle players back and forth to Utica.  It makes the allowances for you.

It can help you understand how things work.

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Had you written 

OP you made a mistake in the line up and showed me where you would come off less like a jerk.

Had you checked your post before publishing it...….

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I have been reading a lot of posts on this forum lately where people are correcting misinformation, the Leivo signing is just another example in a string of signing posts I and I'm sure many of you have noticed this.

Here is just a few of the things I have noticed PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST OTHERs THAT I HAVE MISSED.

1) Roster Max is 23, this is important to note when you are looking at Capfriendly and you post, "we only have $5.5mill in cap space available to sign Boeser, a trade is imminent, (Eriksson, Sutter and Tanev seem to be your guys favorite example) this is not true, Capfriendly is showing currently a 27 man roster they are not predicting which player is making the team.

23 player roster example;

Forwards,

Pearson, $3,750,000    Pettersson  $925000    Miller $5,250,000

Baertschi, $3,366,666    Horvat, $5,500,000    Boeser, $6,500,000

Roussel, $3,000,000    Sutter, $4,375,000    Beagle, $3,000,000

Eriksson,  $6,000,000  Gaudette, $916,666  Virtanen, $1,250,000

Motte,  $975,000   Leivo $1,500,000

Defence

Edler, $6,000,000  Myers, $6,000,000

Hughes, $916,666  Tanev, $4,450,000

Benn, $2,000,000  Stecher, $2,325,000

Fantenberg, $850,000 Biega $916,666

Goalies

Markström, $3,666,667

Demko, $1,050,000

This is a 24 Player roster I will explain that in point 2. I have Schaller Buried with a cap hit of $825,000, Luongo, re-cap at $3,033,206 and Spooner, bought out at $1,033,333, and their are Bonuses of $4,550,000

Total Cap hit is $79,283,204, Their are Bonuses of $4,550,000

Cap Remaining, $2,216,796,

2) The reason their is a 24 man roster is cause if Roussel is on LTIR their will be no cap relieve for him cause they are not at max cap in this scenario. A team must be at the ceiling of the cap to replace the cap of the injured player. If they are not then the player goes on IR and the team can replace the roster spot with out exceeding the roster max.

3) Schaller could be on the team at the beginning of the season but never play a game for us, this is due to point 2 Schaller has a higher cap then Gaudette, for example. Gaud is waiver exempt next season and can not be claimed. We can probably expect this with a couple players. After day one of the season Gaud could be called back and Schaller buried and the Canucks can still utilize the LTIR cap replacement of Roussel. So you don't have to be surprised if Petty is sent to Utica before the first day of the start of the season.

4) Boeser could be signed on the first day the season starts. On the first day of the season, The Canucks could have 23 player roster with Roussel on it re-shuffle their whole lineup place Roussel on LTIR and then sign Boeser to fill Roussel spot on the roster. This could be very tricky to do so but it can be done. There is no rule that the injured player has to be replaced by a currently signed player. It will be very interesting to see where Baertschi is at the beginning of training camp with his concussion issue. Roussel and Baer cap hits total, $6.367 million this would make the start of the season signing much easier and then time would determine if trades or other roster movements would have to be made when Roussel comes back or if other injuries could be placed on LTIR. 

Good post, and that's without moving either Sutter or Eriksson.

pretty damn sensitive op i think

not sure why someone thinks they can capture the entire complexity of cap issues in a short post

and then get all butt hurt when people point out deficiencies

a pretty huge undertaking that is overly simplified

shows lack of appreciation for cap issues

• Upvote 2