The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap information, misconceptions, Rosters makeup, things you really should know before you post

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

3 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

I’d take 100 picks over Benning’s Free agent frenzies and tradezies 

Who wouldn’t?  What the NYR did was pretty cool too, but they definitely seemed to waste some of it last draft.  Now they have Bread man so maybe their rebuild is over plus Kakko? Ha ha... somehow I doubt it.  With all their wealth they couldn’t buy a cup pre-cap although they sure tried too...what a rush job. 

Of the teams rebuilding do you really think Benning has done that bad of a job?   Not great, I’d agree to that, but certainly not bad either.   He’s got his core locked in, you can only afford so many good players and we seem to have that now.   His cap management is underrated, once the chaf and guys that will age out (Sutter, LE, Schaller, Beagle, Tanev, Edler, etc etc etc) we will have money to spare and all our guys under decent contracts that are renewable.  

I truly never thought our next core had a chance.  Still have some doubts but they are getting smaller, NO team has ever gone from the top since expansion back to the top as a presidents trophy contender back to back unless you include Detroit who managed it with parts of two cores.   I figured that we’d might get another chance with parts of this core and the next one at best, just like we’ve done historically.  

In other words maybe when EP is in his late twenties and Horvat, JV and Boeser are all gone, maybe with Podz too.  Now I’m not so sure.   Our team is on the precipice of making the playoffs every year for the the next four or five with who’s under contract and assuming Hughes and OJ both work out.  Each time we make it we have a good shot, especially now with parity.  Look at what’s happening with “contenders” like ANA and NSH and WNP and TB the last four years and others too.

Guess time will tell. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Who wouldn’t?  What the NYR did was pretty cool too, but they definitely seemed to waste some of it last draft.  Now they have Bread man so maybe their rebuild is over plus Kakko? Ha ha... somehow I doubt it.  With all their wealth they couldn’t buy a cup pre-cap although they sure tried too...what a rush job. 

Of the teams rebuilding do you really think Benning has done that bad of a job?   Not great, I’d agree to that, but certainly not bad either.   He’s got his core locked in, you can only afford so many good players and we seem to have that now.   His cap management is underrated, once the chaf and guys that will age out (Sutter, LE, Schaller, Beagle, Tanev, Edler, etc etc etc) we will have money to spare and all our guys under decent contracts that are renewable.  

I truly never thought our next core had a chance.  Still have some doubts but they are getting smaller, NO team has ever gone from the top since expansion back to the top as a presidents trophy contender back to back unless you include Detroit who managed it with parts of two cores.   I figured that we’d might get another chance with parts of this core and the next one at best, just like we’ve done historically.  

In other words maybe when EP is in his late twenties and Horvat, JV and Boeser are all gone, maybe with Podz too.  Now I’m not so sure.   Our team is on the precipice of making the playoffs every year for the the next four or five with who’s under contract and assuming Hughes and OJ both work out.  Each time we make it we have a good shot, especially now with parity.  Look at what’s happening with “contenders” like ANA and NSH and WNP and TB the last four years and others too.

Guess time will tell. 

I like the players we were drafting

I like the stock piling of goalies

I like Travis green

i don’t like trading picks. 

i don’t like FA at all, ever. 

I wish we were closer to the cap floor. 

Utica is a disaster. 

I wish he would draft more defensemen. 

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2019 at 12:46 PM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

On the first day of the season doesn’t Boeser become available to get offersheeted? 

On 7/5/2019 at 1:00 PM, Arrow 1983 said:

the simple answer is no we hold his rights completely

Unsigned RFA's can sign offer sheets July 1st when free agency opens. Maybe you missed this:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-tender-offer-sheet-hurricanes-sebastian-aho/

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

I like the players we were drafting

I like the stock piling of goalies

I like Travis green

i don’t like trading picks. 

i don’t like FA at all, ever. 

I wish we were closer to the cap floor. 

Utica is a disaster. 

I wish he would draft more defensemen. 

You should have stopped while you were ahead.   Hello tomatoes.   Started June 28,  yet been following the team since 94?  Seems suspicious to me, only one other poster on this site is as black and white as you, just give up already. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You should have stopped while you were ahead.   Hello tomatoes.   Started June 28,  yet been following the team since 94?  Seems suspicious to me, only one other poster on this site is as black and white as you, just give up already. 

I’ve been here before, many moons ago. If it wasn’t for Jim trading his 1st I wouldn’t have reincarnated. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bubble Man said:

I’ve been here before, many moons ago. If it wasn’t for Jim trading his 1st I wouldn’t have reincarnated. 

You don’t like Miller and his excellent contract?  He’s paid about 2 million less than his value.  He’s 26, 220 pounds, skilled, tough, hard to play against, scores 20/50, and plays the right way.  He’s the perfect winger for Petey and Bess.  

• Cheers 2

Just now, Alflives said:

You don’t like Miller and his excellent contract?  He’s paid about 2 million less than his value.  He’s 26, 220 pounds, skilled, tough, hard to play against, scores 20/50, and plays the right way.  He’s the perfect winger for Petey and Bess.  

Not for a 1st and 3rd. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

Not for a 1st and 3rd. 

The first will very likely between 10 and 20, right?  Odds are that guy isn’t as good as Miller, and won’t help this current core for 3 to 5 years.  Our window is open now.  Cap costs for Petey and Hughes are going to be a lot.  We need support players, like Miller, who are on great contracts.  Ehlers and Nylander get six and seven, and they are terrible.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The first will very likely between 10 and 20, right?  Odds are that guy isn’t as good as Miller, and won’t help this current core for 3 to 5 years.  Our window is open now.  Cap costs for Petey and Hughes are going to be a lot.  We need support players, like Miller, who are on great contracts.  Ehlers and Nylander get six and seven, and they are terrible.  

I’ve never heard this argument before. Hard to explain this to someone who like Brock Boeser though. We potentially traded Brock and Gaudette for TJ Miller and his 13 goals. 

5 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

I’ve never heard this argument before. Hard to explain this to someone who like Brock Boeser though. We potentially traded Brock and Gaudette for TJ Miller and his 13 goals. 

What? Explain please. 

I get it now!

Bird in hand is better, right? 

Edited by Alflives

2 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

Or we traded Gaunce and Cassels for a top 6 forward. That guessing game a two way street. We traded unknown for known. Is it better to waste four years of Horvat, Boeser, and Petey waiting for unknowns, or add a known that helps them for the next four years? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

We also potentially traded Pierre-Oliver Joseph and Jarret Tyszka for JT Miller and his 13 goals.

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

Unsigned RFA's can sign offer sheets July 1st when free agency opens. Maybe you missed this:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-tender-offer-sheet-hurricanes-sebastian-aho/

I was under the impression that once the season opened or 10 games in, he’d become eligible. But does that rule not come into play until the July 1st after the 3rd full season?

2 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I was under the impression that once the season opened or 10 games in, he’d become eligible. But does that rule not come into play until the July 1st after the 3rd full season?

Obviously what you thought is incorrect as the Aho offer sheet shows. He was an RFA just as Boeser currently is.

When you qualify a player in June you retain his rights, making him an RFA. Nothing more. July 1st any team can give him an offer sheet if he's still unsigned. You either match the offer or get compensation (draft picks) per the CBA. If you don't qualify a player he becomes a UFA July 1st. Offer sheets are rare for a reason - teams typically match and you're on the GM crap list as a result. The only way they've ever been successful is by grossly overpaying. If you ask me it's only done by desperate GM's trying to save their job and the gross overpayment typically costs them their job anyway. They typically try to do it to teams that are cap strapped, or money strapped. With the cap strapped they tend to overpay so the other team just can't match. For the cash strapped they structure the deal where so much money is up front that they may not be able to afford to match. The only successful ones have been the gross overpayment and they have not worked out well for the team that dropped the offer sheet anyway. 

Gillis was looking for a power forward to play with the Sedins. He dropped an offer sheet on a player from the cap strapped Blues. They matched. He turned his attention to the cash strapped Sabre's. Basically he told them if they didn't trade him Bernier he'd drop an offer sheet on him as he was also an RFA. They traded Bernier to us for a 2nd and a 3rd. St Louis immediately dropped an offer sheet on Bernier that was more than he was worth but would only cost them a 2nd in compensation. So Gillis either had to match the overpayment or only get a 2nd for a player that just cost him a 2nd and a 3rd. A prime example of offer sheet revenge.

Bernier didn't click with the Sedins and never lived up to the deal. He wound up a cap dump in the deal for Ballard. Gillis just looked like a schmuck for trying it and the way it played out.

Edited by Baggins
  • Thanks 1