The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DISCUSSION] When did the skipping of bridge deals become the norm, who started it, and what are the long term implications for the NHL?

Rate this topic

When did the skipping of bridge deals become the norm, who started it, and what are the long term implications for the NHL?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

PK Subban’s bridge deal I think played a part. Habs signed PK to a 2 year bridge, PK wins the Norris, cashes in huge on his next contract when Montreal could’ve saved money without the bridge deal.

IMO, I rather fork out the money for say a Norris winner rather than pay a player above their worth and hope they blossom. There are instances like this that yes it may have been beneficial to have signed him long term soon, but then I look at someone like Nylander and they've got to be regretting that contract already. Or someone like Duchene who seemed to just coast after his big deal until contract year came around again. I rather pay the player that has earned it rather than regret the signing and be stuck with it for a long time as they become not only not worth the contract, but also untradeable unless as almost a cap dump. If they never become a "bargain" by the end of it, then you've simply overpaid for nothing at the start of it. Let the player prove themselves.

If they become unaffordable, then you can at least explore moving the player at their highest value to gain back a high return to replenish the loss instead of having an anchor.

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

This is a good thread!

I look back at Stamkos & Tavares around $6 / $7 mill coming off ELC's. Even Barkov & certainly Larkin is reasonable in a more modern look?

I have two contributing theories;

> The training, coaching & development of young players is much higher than ten years ago.  The US now has the USNTDP, which is a pro style coaching & training environment for its top players. And the colleges they, and even intermediate players go to D + 1 is also very advanced. As is the semi-pro (Allsvenskan) & pro leagues (Liiga, even SHL & KHL, Extraliga) even D-1 many Euro prospects have access to.  So players are just more reasy, even to break into the NHL at an early age. And the competition compounds itself, even 3rd and 4th round picks are shining at athletic testing at the combines. It is putting other countries ahead of Canada in their development. ** But more and more 19 and 20 year old players are having early results in the NHL to earn big contracts coming off ELC's.

>> The market. And its fan pressures might be bigger? Teams like the Oilers, did sign Eberle, RNH to big contracts coming off ELC's. That might have been where it started? Maybe Hall was worth the big pact?  Part of this is the markets Canadian teams play in.  The world was going to die if Nylander was not signed? Draisaitl...Teams like Anaheim, San Jose & Florida have been significantly more responsible. Even if they did sign 5 or 6 year deals, they asked the players recognize being RFA. I don't think anyone could argue there would be undue pressure to have signed Barkov? For more money than $5.9 mill if he was in Vancouver or Toronto. Lord knows what Huberdeau would have been commanded if he was drafted by Montreal? Boston, an original 6 team, has a bit of this pressure.  But even the once free spending NYR's have tied a lot of their home grown talent at reasonable pricing. Canadian markets are a problem!

** A secondary thread discussion is where this impact has landed against the effectiveness to the CHL as the once dominant source of the worlds best prospects.  The junior age lock for CHLO draftee's, and that they don't, for the most part, have these programs and facilities, time to train because they are riding the bus. 

CHL is to big imo the competition is getting ehh

It's a 50/50 game no matter which way you go. It varies based on plyr/team. 

Teams now are trying to lock in plyrs for at least a couple of the UFA years - example being Aho's offer sheet basically walks him to free agency, at the end he is UFA and Car has no team control. 

The game is headed toward the youth side, proven by this years free agency. How many UFA's got 2-3 year deals? Guys who have been in the league 3 yrs are getting 8-10M. Like a 26G, 94pt(Marner), 30G, 83pts(Aho) season is worth this crazy money now app. Comparables are a hky analyst/agents fav word.  

The long term question is with the future players/development always changing for the better what is the next generation worth? Plus if your getting 8.5-10 at 21/22 what are worth at 27/28 and app in your prime. 

I don't really pay a lot of attention to some teams in the league but it did seem like Edmonton were handing out fat contracts for many of their first round picks, that is, Hall, Nug-kins and Eberle.

I blame Edmonton because it feels right to blame Edmonton. 

• Haha 1