The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should JB consider MacEwen in the Canuck top 6?

I don't know why Benning was so unprepared for this. We always knew it was coming, and if it wasn't going to hit us this year, it was going to hit us next year even harder. 

Besides, the amount of bad contracts on the team are far more stifling than the Luongo recapture penalty. Sure, it's a "kick in the shins", but Eriksson's contract, Sutter's contract and Beagle's contract are what's really killing us. 

• Wat 3

Or..

He could have been a bit more patient and tried his luck with free-agency first before paying a premium for Miller.

JB's so infantile with his decision-making sometimes and then he has the nerve to go "wah wah Luongo ruined our off-season"

He should be so &^@#ing happy that the rumoured 8M a year re-capture isn't a thing.  Imagine losing Petey because of it.

• Wat 11

Dzingel is still out there, he will make us better

have to move one of beartschi,. LE or Sutter to make it happen

I would hope JB would just play hard ball with LE and terminate his contract so he can Sogn for league minimum somewhere, I would tell him he is utica bound no mater what, bc honestly I rather have mcewen, goldy, beartschi, sutter, beagle, Gaudette, rousel, leivo, Virtanen, and if Lind or gadjo are good enough and win a spot (which I doubt) I rather have them.

11 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Or..

He could have been a bit more patient and tried his luck with free-agency first before paying a premium for Miller.

JB's so infantile with his decision-making sometimes and then he has the nerve to go "wah wah Luongo ruined our off-season"

He should be so &^@#ing happy that the rumoured 8M a year re-capture isn't a thing.  Imagine losing Petey because of it.

pourque?

• Haha 1

To an extent Benning can wait to move players well into October. The Canucks can even showcase players they want to move. There is always a period where teams adjust their rosters after 15 - 20 games. If Miller is a fixture on 1LW then I can see Sutter being retained. He takes pressure off Horvat in the d-zone FO's. Canucks have to establish the 2nd line as a reliable point producer to make playoffs. 

I do expect the Canucks to make playoffs which will be good for the younger players. IMHO this is secondary to development TOI for younger players who have to get NHL experience. The primary purpose to the upcoming season is development and evaluation. Oh ya, making playoffs can force the 1st rdr given up in the Miller trade to go next June instead of 2 years out. Better timing.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

LE should just shake hands and terminate with JB. Those two agreed on something that didn't happen. 

JB should just get him a chunk of whats left money wise and LE should walk. Another NHL team or the SHL would be a fresh start for him.

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

LE should just shake hands and terminate with JB. Those two agreed on something that didn't happen. 

JB should just get him a chunk of whats left money wise and LE should walk. Another NHL team or the SHL would be a fresh start for him.

If he terminated his contract, he couldn’t play with another nhl team for 3 years. 

The only way we get rid of LE is by adding a sweetener exactly like Big Zach in the deal.  Nobody wants to help the Canucks out of this mess for free.  I wouldn't be surprised if teams weren't asking for Gaudette or Madden as well, in any package regarding Tanev or Sutter.  Nothing is free in this league, especially cap space.

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, if that penalty made Benning say no to another top 6 forward, then I have even more faith in him. At this point, I'm wary of adding more big deals to our plate. We will have an incredible cap crunch hit us in two years when EP and Hughes need to be re-signed and I'd really like to avoid signing any more long-term deals so we can handle that better than Dubas is having to right now.

Not really, we have a whole lot of contracts ending by then.  Myers is the only dman signed, and aside from the last year of Eriksson (if still here) and Beagle/Roussel at just $3mil each, Bo and Miller are two of the only three forwards still signed, with Boeser as the only big-money contract.  They are well-aware of Petey and Hughes coming up, and mention it all the time.  But yes, being two years out from that they have the opportunity to plan and do it right this time.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He got almost 1/3 of that 5 days ago.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Or..

5CDE4718-C4E9-4223-874D-3577A9CE0CD5.gif

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't know why Benning was so unprepared for this. We always knew it was coming, and if it wasn't going to hit us this year, it was going to hit us next year even harder. 

Besides, the amount of bad contracts on the team are far more stifling than the Luongo recapture penalty. Sure, it's a "kick in the shins", but Eriksson's contract, Sutter's contract and Beagle's contract are what's really killing us. 

How was he unprepared?  He, in fact, said they knew it was a strong possibility and then Luongo also gave them a heads-up.  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

A second top 6 fwd was always going to be a gravy move......... something that "could" happen if all the pieces fell into place.  Going into the off season he wanted size (check),  a top 6 fwd (check), a top 4 rhd (check) and d depth (check).  Why anyone would complain about the direction is beyond me.........he accomplished exactly what he set out to do, and more than I expected him to.

And to fill that other top 6 spot, we currently have Eriksson, Baertschi, Virtanen, Goldobin, Leivo, Perron, Bailey, MacEwen and even Roussel when he returns. Who knows maybe Motte or Gaudette might even click there. I wouldn't be surprised if we tried Boeser with Pearson and Horvat and maybe giving Virtanen a look with EP and Miller. I like what we have to work with so that losing out on this "extra" top 6 signing isn't all that concerning for me. If any of those guys step up then there simply isn't any missed opportunity here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3