The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should JB consider MacEwen in the Canuck top 6?

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Why is everyone writing off Baertschi? When healthy hes one of our most consistent producers, goal scoring and playmaking. Each line has a powerforward anyway, we don't need Zack just yet, besides his offensive skills aren't top 6 NHL material yet.

Miller (PF) - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson (PF) - Horvat (PF) - Baertschi

Leivo - Sutter - Virtanen (PF)

Goldobin - Gaudette - Motte

If need be we can throw him on that 4th line for 9 mins a game against Calgary. Thats about it. This team has plenty of depth now.

Goldy is sporadic in the top 6 and would be trash in the bottom 6 because he is weak and scared to go to the tough areas or play a tough game.

I 100% would want MacEwen on the 4th line over Goldy.

14 hours ago, LarsEller said:

People are lowkey underrating Baertschi. If he comes into camp recovered from his concussion then he's easily a solid second line winger imo. When he was healthy this last year he certainly was playing at that level. 

He was on pace for 20+ goals and 40-50 points if he had a full 82 games. 

And he has chemistry  with Bo 

Edited by 18W-40C-6W

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

He was unprepared in that he allowed it to stop him from doing what he needed to do to improve the forward group in free agency, despite knowing in advance that this was going to happen.

he got his top 6 guy in a trade.........anything other than that was going to be an absolute best case, everything falling into place situation.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No offense taken.  However, Schaller's AHL numbers were no where near as good as MacEwen's and MacEwen is still developing.  In my mind there is no doubt MacEwen becomes a much better player than schaller.

schaller.PNG.eedadc614038b2ccf39ff3f2891b0543.PNG

I don't disagree at all... MacEwen has more upside and is younger... so it's all up to him now to show up in preseason! Schaller was so effective in Boston but I guess he just can't adapt to Green's system.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Because no one in the hockey world thought Lu would actually retire instead of going on ltir. He's injured and can't play and this would've qualified for it, like every one else does to help their team (in this case teams), but for some reason he morally decided to retire and we got hit. So it's not that JB wasn't prepared, just that he wasn't expected it. But it happened and he's dealing with it just fine.

As for the contracts that you say are hindering us, they are now getting in the way because the stellar play of the likes of Petey and Brock have sped up our rebuild a little unexpectedly. Those contracts were given with a specific timeline in mind, but now that our young guys are stars and transforming our team so quickly, the plan has sped up a little, so now those couple of contracts in hindsight don't look the greatest. The good news is some guys can either be traded or just expire when the time comes and we can move forward. Aside from LE, I still think Beagle and even Sutter (if they can stay healthy) can help us a ton this year. Aside from them, I can't wait until LE's gone haha.

Good post.  I can’t wait until his contract is done too...at worst three more years, and by then we will have moved on from placeholders and “foundational” guys like Sutter and Tanev (unless by some miracle he stops getting hurt and we re-up him)...when Podz is just getting started this team won’t look anything like it does now, some of the secondary players in our pool will be getting looks such as Madden, Lind this years 2nd etc..that is the team we will actually have a chance to contend with (hopefully).  And good chance Tree comes back a seasoned vet..

Best part is until then guys will be coming off the books each year and playoffs are more likely then not.  Should be a interesting ride...

Edited by IBatch

We have one top 6 spot, on paper, up for grabs. I imagine anyone and everyone will be considered for it. And I am pretty sure that'll be to the discretion of Green and not JB. With the cap not going up, likely next season as well, and Lu's recapture I don't see us acquiring another top 6 forward. Sutter and Tanev's injury history and Eriksson's lackluster play likely means we won't be able to move any of them for relief either unless we give up another 1st rounder in Eriksson's case. With the guy's we are likely to go into the season with it should be an interesting fight for that last top 6 spot. Eriksson, Baer, Virtanen, Leivo, Goldy and even Gaudette could all make some noise for that spot. People have given up on Baer but I still have hope and believe he will be a good top 6 option. 

Pearson - Horvat - JT Miller

Baertschi - Pettersson - Boeser

On paper I'd say that's a very formidable top 6. Personally I'd like to see Green continue to give Jake a look on that Boeser/Pettersson line. Hopefully Green and company told Virtanen what he needs to do this offseason for a legit spot at that role and hopefully Virtanen keeps improving. He had 15 goals last season playing with guys that barely scratched 15 points. Say what you will about how he scores but scorers score. And 15 from a guy that can hit and has elite level skating is pretty damn good in my books. Hell if he improves his offensive instincts even a line of Pearson Horvat and Virtanen could cause all sorts of problems in all 3 zones for the opposition. I love MacEwen and his development but I still have Jake and Goldy higher on the pecking order. On top of guys like Bear and Eriksson that should be battling for the top 6.

This is ridiculous.

MacEwen is a nice story. Undrafted, worked his way up, and got a cup of coffee in the NHL last year. It's nice to see a possible player come out of the mess that Utica was in last year.

...So, should we (already) consider him as a top-6 NHL-er? :picard: 

22 hours ago, D-Money said:

This is ridiculous.

MacEwen is a nice story. Undrafted, worked his way up, and got a cup of coffee in the NHL last year. It's nice to see a possible player come out of the mess that Utica was in last year.

...So, should we (already) consider him as a top-6 NHL-er? :picard: 

You  don't know what will happen MacEwen may or may not become a top 6 NHL-er Training camp will tell.