The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Putting another rumour to bed, breach of contract, and how it pertains to Eriksson.

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

What is so wrong in playing in AHL?

He get paid there also and he will probably have more fun.

Pretty simple answer to this: it's not the NHL and a lot of older players' careers have pretty much ended once they get sent down.

12 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

If I were Green I would have told Petey to not hit so much the first two years. While letting Petey get a few pounds muscles more.

Then I think it's great if he walks in the footsteps of Peter Forsberg.

That has to be the best thing I've ever read you've post and for once we agree. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

How many top Swedish players chose to accept demotion to the AHL, after having very good (and financially rewarding) NHL careers?  Loui will not be the first.  He will retire.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Those boys will eat him for breakfast.. have you ever heard the real conversations that take place in the ice..  the AHL will rip apart what’s left of LE mentally..

he will be FaceTiming his wife and kids every night for 2 weeks and then pull the plug.

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2019 at 5:35 PM, Arrow 1983 said:

The rumour that Eriksson didn't answer Bennings call is complete bs.

1) if their was an issue with Eriksson and the Canucks organization Benning would Call Eriksson's agent

2) if Benning did call Eriksson directly, Eriksson is not required to pick up or talk to Benning. What would happen is Eriksson would call his agent and ask his agent to call Benning, Eriksson could ask his agent to inform Benning tha He ( Eriksson would like all matters to go through his agent). If Benning kept calling Eriksson after Benning has been informed of this Benning could be under the breach of contract

3) the conclusion therefore, is the person who started this rumour was just trying to stir the pot and make headlines. Anyone understanding contract procedure would not breach a contract, therefore Benning as GM and president of an NHL club with a legal department would understand contract procedure.

You sound like someone who doesn’t know contract law, or took a first year course pretending to know contract law.

Also, literally everything you said was speculation... 

- You don’t know if LE has done anything like you have invented in your pretend scenario

- You don’t know what Benning or the agent has done in your pretend scenario

- You don’t know what clauses are in an SPC and what form it takes in Eriksson’s contract.  There is no way that an SPC has a blanket clause that allows a player to demand all communication go through their agent.  Employers have the right to speak to their employees with few limitations.  Communications clauses refer to things like having the right for a representative to be present, or giving certain notice before formal interviews, etc. “Hey Loui, your shift for this P.K.”. “Sorry coach, talk to my agent if you want me on the ice... I have rights!” :)

- You don’t seem to know that contracts in all walks of life get breached in small ways every day, no big deal.  There are specific remedies or clauses pertaining to “material breaches” (look it up) in most contracts... that is a different thing.

- Any sort of “communication clause” would not be considered by any 3rd party arbitrator or court to constitute a material breach of contract.  Your invented scenario and the resulting idea that Benning wouldn’t contact LE is just nonsense.

Beyond all of that, contracts are just a codified version of a relationship that you only fall back on if the relationship has failed.  If Eriksson has any intention of salvaging his career with the Canucks, returning the phone calls from his boss is in his best interest.  The actual contract states that he can be waived and sent to the minors at the whim of his employer. 

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

To the general consensus that LE should and will be sent to the minors .... what can of worms is opened when he has a decent to strong training camp? What does a demotion say to the rest of rest of the team about merit based promotion? Is it believed that he will automatically cave when he comes back in September? Despite the comments, despite the contract he is still easily a 4th line if not top 9 talent. 

I don't see him "tanking". 

If the team decides to somehow or someway undermine his ability to show that he still belongs on the 23 man roster what an ugly path to take. What a horrible organizational precident. 

The public dissection of his performance over the last three years is fair game. I understand the visceral hatred. I just think how this challenge is dealt with will reflect the type of franchise we have here in Vancouver.

8 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Those boys will eat him for breakfast.. have you ever heard the real conversations that take place in the ice..  the AHL will rip apart what’s left of LE mentally..

he will be FaceTiming his wife and kids every night for 2 weeks and then pull the plug.

So Loui doesn't know how AHL is?

Do you care about what anybody says to you on the ice? I couldn't care less what people say. 

But, you have just named a real good reason why not send prospects to Utica. Get on the wrong foot with a player/coach in Utica and you can forget about playing in the Canucks.

Only the ones accepting the abuse get further. Interesting approach to hockey.

Eaten for breakfast... :bigblush:

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Do you care about what anybody says to you on the ice? I couldn't care less what people say. 

But, you have just named a real good reason why not send prospects to Utica. Get on the wrong foot with a player/coach in Utica and you can forget about playing in the Canucks.

You seem to care a lot about what people say here.

17 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I have opinions like everyone else... Why do you bother?

Claiming you don’t care what people say, when you’ve taken the stance that anyone who criticizes a Canucks player online is a bad fan, just struck me as funny. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, zimmy said:

To the general consensus that LE should and will be sent to the minors .... what can of worms is opened when he has a decent to strong training camp? What does a demotion say to the rest of rest of the team about merit based promotion? Is it believed that he will automatically cave when he comes back in September? Despite the comments, despite the contract he is still easily a 4th line if not top 9 talent. 

I don't see him "tanking". 

If the team decides to somehow or someway undermine his ability to show that he still belongs on the 23 man roster what an ugly path to take. What a horrible organizational precident. 

The public dissection of his performance over the last three years is fair game. I understand the visceral hatred. I just think how this challenge is dealt with will reflect the type of franchise we have here in Vancouver.

Rosters get built on more than pure performance, contract status and type of role required also matters.  It is also very arguable that Eriksson merits being on the tram based on his performance.

Gagner wasn’t the worst performer on the team, he just didn’t fit the role on the bottom half they were trying to build.  We have plenty of “defensive players”, Sutter and Beagle beat him for a spot simply by virtue of being able to play centre.  If they want energy guys or toughness in that roster spot, LE doesn’t fit.

You also don’t get to pretend that each training camp is a fresh slate where you forget what happened in previous years. Three years of poor performance and they don’t owe him any more fresh starts, they don’t even need to bring him to training camp.

It won’t reflect badly on the organization at all.  The media and ex-player pundits ripped Eriksson for speaking out when his play and effort was so poor.  Same again when he had his agent ask publicly for a trade.  He always gets listed as one of the worst value contracts in the league. 

The team has all the moral authority in the world to not have him as part of the roster going forward.

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Rosters get built on more than pure performance, contract status and type of role required also matters.  It is also very arguable that Eriksson merits being on the tram based on his performance.

Gagner wasn’t the worst performer on the team, he just didn’t fit the role on the bottom half they were trying to build.  We have plenty of “defensive players”, Sutter and Beagle beat him for a spot simply by virtue of being able to play centre.  If they want energy guys or toughness in that roster spot, LE doesn’t fit.

You also don’t get to pretend that each training camp is a fresh slate where you forget what happened in previous years. Three years of poor performance and they don’t owe him any more fresh starts, they don’t even need to bring him to training camp.

It won’t reflect badly on the organization at all.  The media and ex-player pundits ripped Eriksson for speaking out when his play and effort was so poor.  Same again when he had his agent ask publicly for a trade.  He always gets listed as one of the worst value contracts in the league. 

The team has all the moral authority in the world to not have him as part of the roster going forward.

All good points. I still believe the possible divorce from this player needs to be handled with a deft touch and without vitriol or public pronouncements. The fever pitch already established in these forums and in the media are not going to help a smooth "transition" but I suppose in the end it's not going to matter what I think.

3 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Claiming you don’t care what people say, when you’ve taken the stance that anyone who criticizes a Canucks player online is a bad fan, just struck me as funny. 

I'm not sure what   you're talking about. I criticize players. But I don't talk $&!# about them... It's a big difference between criticizing and being an asshole.

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

I'm not sure what   you're talking about. I criticize players. But I don't talk $&!# about them... It's a big difference between criticizing and being an asshole.

Maybe you're just extra sensitive to criticism since you seem to view any criticism towards a Swedish player as talking $&!#? 

13 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Keep your subscription for watching Eriksson play in the Swedish Elite League this season...

His replacement has arrived..

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-micheal-ferland/c-308230376 

• Like 1