The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Francis Perron

cut.jpg

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed forward Francis Perron to a one-year, two-way contract.

Perron, 23, recorded career-highs in points (47), goals (18), power play goals (7) and assists (29) in 63 games with the San Jose Barracuda in 2018.19. In 175 AHL games split between San Jose, Belleville and Binghamton, the 6'0", 178-pound forward recorded 88 points (28-60-88), including nine power play goals and seven game-winning goals.

A native of Laval, Quebec, Perron was selected by Ottawa in the seventh round, 190th overall, at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He was acquired by Vancouver on June 22, 2019 from San Jose, alongside a 2019 7th round pick, in exchange for forward Tom Pyatt and a 2019 6th round pick.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-francis-perron/c-308196194

Left Wing

Born April 1996, 23 years old

6 foot tall, 178 pounds (?)

Shoots L

Drafted 190th overall by the sens in 2014

Has shown decent progression over the years and looks like a solid Utica pick up for a club needing bodies

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2012-13 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies QMJHL 57 7 11 18 28 1 5 1 1 2 7
2013-14 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies QMJHL 68 16 39 55 32 -3 9 1 7 8 4
2014-15 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies QMJHL 64 29 47 76 39 -1 6 3 4 7 14
2015-16 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies QMJHL 62 41 67 108 38 41 18 12 21 33 11
2016-17 Binghamton Senators AHL 68 6 20 26 14 -11 -- -- -- -- --
2017-18 Belleville Senators AHL 44 4 11 15 26 -8 -- -- -- -- --
2018-19 San Jose Barracuda AHL 63 18 29 47 26 10 3 0 1 1 2

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

108 pts in 62 games in his Draft +2 year is eye catching but it's interesting that so often you can see these huge numbers in the Q not translate to the NHL. 

Less than inspiring AHL numbers though.

48 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Less than inspiring AHL numbers though.

I look more closely at the progression/development rather than outright numbers for a player who's still,  quite young.   His ppg production in Jr improved significantly every year and he nearly doubled his ppg production between his first 'full seasons' in the AHL but in less games. 

Not saying he's gonna take the NHL by surprise but Utica could definitely use more scoring/depth,  there's no arguing that.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Really?  

His numbers in the AHL are very solid in my opinion. 

Vey had better. lol

Hey, it doesn't mean he won't, or can't, be more than an AHL depth guy. I'm just not wowed by his AHL numbers.

• Cheers 2

Further to my post earlier, I don’t want to give the impression that we should expect much from Perron. We shouldn’t. He’s a long shot. Most likely he’ll just be a good AHL player and not much more. But he is still a “prospect” in my mind and a guy with a chance to become a quality player. He wasn’t just a throw-in in the Karlsson trade, but a guy San Jose targeted. Their scouts saw real potential in this player. And I expect our scouts feel the same. Remains to be determined if he’ll reach that potential, but this year in Utica should give us a good idea (assuming he’s not lost to waivers). 

• Upvote 2