The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes Surprises Fan at Graduation

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

Dudes even got the Flying V on lol. 

Dude's got taste.  Love it.

This has to be a one off right?  His mom sewed it for him.  No way they made this for all the grads.

Its quite cynical to think this is some publicity stunt by the Canucks. Does it help endear Quinn to Vancouver fans?  Of course.  But does that somehow prove his heart wasn't in on it? Not in the least.  He could have just declined and we'd never hear about it, and we'd all STILL love him. Its not as if he needed a PR campaign to improve his image or anything. Sometimes a good story is just that, a good story about a good guy(s).

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

The most likely people to be interested in this story would be this kid, his friends and family.  

If they peruse this site, they now get 3 pages of your headcase contrarian nonsense instead of enjoying what boils down to a classy move and awesome moment for Quinn and this kid.  Something there is no shame in others enjoying, being inspired by and applauding.

Honestly, it’s super selfish and rude to hijack a pretty slam dunk feel good thread with this garbage.

I wouldn't call it selfish. I think that's a big stretch. Unless having an opinion is selfish.

I mean I see his point even though I don't agree at all personally. Not sure why we have to resort to calling the opinion selfish or attacking him the way many on here have.

IDK, should we never have negative opinions of, let's say, players we just drafted because their families might be reading? This is a forum for the reason and I think everyone should be able to express their opinions.

If Brad Marchand would to ever do this and there was a thread about it @MystifyNCrucify 's opinion would be popular lol

Edited by Grape

3 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

You are out of your element. I clearly stated that this has nothing to do with Hughes in page one. 

If you are confused, its because you jumped into a conversation “guns a blazing”. 

yep exactly

triggered by hughes

and using his action to vent about other stuff

4 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

As I get older, I find that I no longer have time to read drivel and bile.

I won't be seeing your posts again, so good luck growing a heart.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Grape said:

I wouldn't call it selfish. I think that's a big stretch. Unless having an opinion is selfish.

I mean I see his point even though I don't agree at all personally. Not sure why we have to resort to calling the opinion selfish or attacking him the way many on here have.

IDK, should we never have negative opinions of, let's say, players we just drafted because their families might be reading? This is a forum for the reason and I think everyone should be able to express their opinions.

If Brad Marchand would to ever do this and there was a thread about it @MystifyNCrucify 's opinion would be popular lol

It is selfish to derail a positive thread by bringing up a contentious, tenuously related and negative topic.  

You can talk about virtue signalling in off topic if you want without calling into question a pretty slam dunk nice thing to do by a 19 year old kid for another teen. 

...and yeah, let’s compare the feelings and likelihood of looking at the Canucks official message board of Brad Marchand to a local kid with special needs and his family. Way to completely miss the point.

I remember a tweet about the Canucks signing a college FA was met with all the usual derision of canuck twitter and Murph had to remind everyone that the kid and his family were probably pretty stoked to have signed regardless of what the negative fans thought of him.  Give him a day to celebrate before crapping on him as a waste of a contract.  

Athletes, people in news stories and their families are real people too.  Probably a lot more emotionally invested in whatever story is being published than a random talking point under an anonymous internet handle.

That carries a whole lot more weight with me than someone being called selfish for saying something selfish.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Ahhh thats right. Pat yourselves in the back. “Yeah get him! Hes wrong as long as i got hydration from you i can keep going!”  

Whatever i said my piece. 

If you throw that $&!#e on social media, you are not doing it because you are “a good person”. 

Its because you are virtue signalling. 

Here's the thing, the Canucks organization has been a leader in the NHL for decades now with their causes, such as Canucks Place Children's Hospice and the Autism Network. To have them put so much time, money, and effort into such great causes is something that makes all Canucks fans love their team even more. It's part of our identity, but of course also part of being a business. And part of running a business in the 21st century is using social media to help market your company and foundations (remember, lots of money is raised with each Quinn or Brock story for some amazing causes), so it naturally includes promoting their foundations. 

Now, you can debate all you want as to whether true altruism is present or not in each feel good story or even during the creation of foundations such as Canucks Place Children's Hospice or the Autism Network, but I ask you in response: Why go down that path?

Did you just finish reading Letters to a Young Contrarian by Christopher Hitchens?

I'm just finding it difficult to understand how you can criticize a feel good story that helps make a difference in people's lives, and your whole premise is built on your belief that these "kids" shouldn't be role models, and that they don't want to be role models (granted, you didn't say that exactly, but that's what Quinn is becoming right now). Some do and some don't. No one is forcing him, or Brock, or any of these guys into this. If a ayer is too shy then they will be more discreet. Regardless, Quinn was raised in arguably the best hockey family ever, where being a good person was top priority, so my money is on him wanting to do this amazingly kind and cool thing to help continue the Canucks legacy of giving back to the community. Holy, I can't believe I even had to say all that. It must be the summer season!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

:rolleyes:

im sure Quinn was all over going to some random dudes graduation and yeah its a feel good story but lets be realistic.......

.....its just virtue signalling propaganda. 

Shame on all of us for lapping it up like purse pets. 

who pissed in your tinfoil hat   ?. bitching and moaning about a player doing something nice and raising an awareness for autism , ya  canucks for autism  sure it is supported by the canucks   but really  what are you complaining about?    absolutely nothing   players doing community works has been going on for year , I remember waking up after surgery at childrens hospital ( broken arm)   and having canucks player from the early 80 s signing my cast and giving me cards ; no media there , did you hate when sedins donated money to the childrens hospital too, or pk subban  , how about the children hospice when the canucks vist very seriously sick kids  that might not make it ,   ,  did you know players  go there  with out the media ,   perhaps you should think before you start trolling 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Dont get me wrong. Its a great thing to do for someone. I also liked boesers grad night with the lady that had downs ....

but really, isnt it more meaningful if you dont tell the world you did it? 

Its unclassy in my opinion. 

*classless. Lack of class. Looking for attention. Thats where i was going. 

I get what you are talking about....  

it’s like Bono. He does a lot of good with all his money, but he is on the phone with the press the second he writes the cheque.  Kinda makes a person come off like a douche when you are just doing good thing for the publicity.  

BUT

i don’t really think that applies here and you are being overly cynical about a really nice thing.   

@oldnews

Cmon man. Im not a bad person. Im opinionated, and i admit i do quite enjoy giving people a perspective they may not understand yet. 

Im not a troll. I dont think i am anyway. 

My whole motivation for my first post, was to initiate a conversation. Im fine with taking a hit for real ideas getting real discussion. If it doesnt happen, we all just cowpoke our way out not learning anything. 

I believe we, as fans, and human beings, need to stop glorifying and putting these kids on pedestals that they dont deserve or even want. Let them be kids...people....let them live without constant scrutiny. 

This is wrong. Leave them alone. 

It has nothing to do with being a "bad person" - I never implied you're a "bad person" - in fact what I did say was that you got lost in your message.

And that's the problem with ideology - it intervenes in thinking and reduces us to something that is default, reactionary.   

You got triggered by what you perceive to be "virtue signalling" = and you entirely whiffed on the rest of what could or is actually happening there. 

I'm not sure it's as much a perspective that other people don't understand, as it is you yourself not understanding.

Do insincere people sometimes 'virtue signal' - I think of course that is a thing - but to come into this particular context and assume what you did - was thoughtless.  Your own ideological misfire.

I'm happy to see these young guys embrace doing positive things with the 'status' they 'earn' in being high-achieving athletes - that hasn't always been sport culture.  I grew up when being an athlete gave us license to be assholes  - have been an asshole at times, I've been surrounded by assholes at times (and vice versa, have grown in sport and met amazing people via sport) - I'm thankful to the people that sparred with me over it - and I'm happy to see young athletes work on being 'good' people, sharing their achievements and status with their communities, as opposed to growing up feeling entitled to be assholes by virtue of our elite status.   At the same time, I don't 'expect' athletes to be virtuous - or even comfortable in assuming roles like this if they're not motivated to - but are propped up or pushed by their corporate image-handlers to do so.   But I see no reason to assume that Hughes didn't sincerely want to simply meet this young man, surprise him, whatever - and benefit himself as well, for having done so.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Your ignorance is clear. I said that the vancouver canucks media team was at fault, not Quinn. 

People need to take the time to read before they “speak”. 

Troll alert!!! Run for shelter you all!! :emot-parrot:

I am really proud of this team's level of integrity and character.

You know, you hear reports of some players involved in taxi rides and with drivers and it's easy to forget these are very young individuals (who like to have fun and party, etc.).

Spending time in the community and for the important things has always been part of it - from Trevor to the Sedins and now this young core, who are showing what they're made of. 

Just love that they use their platform for good, not just for themselves, but for others.  Well done, Quinn.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1