The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] a way to get some cap space and draft picks

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

You seem to be one of those fans who's afraid to take the leap and start putting in an effort towards actually being good. No one said becoming a good team was risk-free, and unless you want to become a perennial bottom-feeder, we'll have to take some risks to improve. Two years ago, I would've agreed in that we weren't ready to start taking drastic moves to improve; however, we've improved in both of the last two seasons, the most recent being the most significant yet. Not only that, but our best players are young, meaning it's likely that we'll naturally improve through internal growth as time goes on. I'd rather take a stab at being good while Horvat, Hughes, Boeser, Pettersson, and Demko are in their prime youth years than waste it for a few more top draft picks that I don't think we need at this point.

Shannon (TheHockeyGuy) put out a fantastic video on the subject. Give it a watch if you have some time:

This video isn't bad, but I don't buy the idea that Canuck fans who don't want to trade first round picks are afraid of the team getting better quickly.  We all want to see that and have been excited by what Boesser, Petterson and Hughes have brought to the team.  The fact is, we are getting better.  Lack of depth and lots of injuries are the main reason we haven't finished higher in the last couple of years.  Benning has done a lot to fix that in the last few months and I applaud him for that.  So I  fully support the team being more competitive.

The question is whether we have enough foundational pieces in place to start trading first round picks to fill in the holes we still have.  I understand that the Miller trade was about supporting Petey and Brock, and trying to accelerate them getting to the top of their games.  While I didn't like the price, I hope it works out exactly as Benning intended because I do want the team to be good.   But saying "let's stop sucking now" doesn't change the fact that it was a judgement call with pro's and con's that will sort out over many years.  Wanting to be good is one thing and what is good value in a deal is another.  Mixing the two up is called wishful thinking.  With that said, though, I'm hoping Benning is dead right about what Miller can do for us.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

So you want to make our team weaker?  Why would we throw away players that can help us make the playoffs?  

You're hoping that we start following the Buffalo and Edmonton "forever rebuilding" model...  No thanks. 

Getting Schaller off the roster isn’t going to make the team weaker.  It’ll be addition by subtraction.