The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

JB did let Granlund walk and then replaced him with Ferland at a great cap hit....my only concern is MF being prone to concussion and injury.

If he can stay healthy and still plays a heavy game, then this is a great signing!

31 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yes is too subjective. ;)

You said “subjective” but you probably meant “ambiguous” when oldnews is being “factual”.

Edited by Me_

9 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

That looks like a guy who hasnever played a game of competitive hockey in his life.

Or kissed a girl or held her hand.

Hand holding is for degenerates. Now, eye contact, that's the real kinky stuff.

What's this thread about again?

Edited by Qwags
  • Haha 3

On 7/10/2019 at 12:45 PM, 18W-40C-6W said:

Erickson and Schaller out, maybe Goldy. They keep Sutter, Jake is going nowhere with a mentor like Ferland to teach him how to be a power forward. I think a lot of people are missing how important Ferland will be to Jake’s development.

Ferland whispers in Jake's ear "hey Tuna, remember that I've got your back...go ahead and steam roll those guys on every shift".

JV turns to Ferland and replies..."thanks Mike, it's been a long time coming...watch me steam roll Gio"

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

Ferland whispers in Jake's ear "hey Tuna, remember that I've got your back...go ahead and steam roll those guys on every shift".

JV turns to Ferland and replies..."thanks Mike, it's been a long time coming...watch me steam roll Gio"

"Bean's okay, but go have a turn on that clown Tkachuk."

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Interesting take, he certainly does have that bullet in his chamber.  Equally interesting how the rumblings against Babcock started up after their elimination this year.  A fourth straight or worse, playoff miss, and it could get messy.  But seriously -- Dubas is the guy that gave him the team to work with, so he's got to take some serious culpability if they falter.

I agree but also agree that Babcock should legitimately be on hot seat.

I live in T.O and there has been legit criticism given the team he has and that his claim to fame was he was “the best coach in the NHL” / highest paid as well. 

On Tim and Sid (who I love) post the leafs exit this year, Sid made a great point that resonated with me.

It started with the fact that Babcock was paid based on his past success and the assumption that he is the best coach in the NHL. 

When you look at the Leaf’s roster, sure they hurt a bit on D, but they didn’t have a horrendous group, just not all the right parts. But they have Reilly, and some decent parts, and then of course up front he has an all star top 6, and arguably when Kadri was there the best top 9 in the game. 

Sid then suggested, if you are paid as the best coach in the NHL and can’t get a team with that level of talent, regardless of their holes, to buy into a 2 way system to make up for the imperfections, are you really the coach everyone believed you to be? Think about the teams he had in Detroit, no holes, just stars in all the key positions, then he’s coaching team Canada which coaches itself. 

The questions Sid raised, which I think is valid, was is Babcock as great a coach as people thought or just a decent coach who was fortunate to have great teams built for him to work with? Perhaps the inability of a talented leafs group to play a system that will win in the playoffs is showing he’s not as great a coach as people assumed?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

"Bean's okay, but go have a turn on that clown Tkachuk."

Yeah...but JV has been scared of Gio since he came into the league...Ferlund will spur him on to grow some man balls.

Shed the boy skin and grow some man balls...lol

Edited by Pete M

On 7/10/2019 at 12:48 PM, N4ZZY said:

I think that's a pretty crowded line up right now. 

If that's the line up, with no major additions coming, then I see Gaudette starting in the AHL for more seasoning. Hoping that Sutter can remain healthy, and perhaps be dealt at the trade deadline for picks or prospects. 

I see this line up:

Miller/Peterssson/Boeser

Ferland/Bo/Virtanen

Pearson/Gaudette/Leivo

Motte/Beagle/MacEwen

Goldobin as the extra forward, or he's dealt before the season because I don't see how he supplants himself in the top six. And if that's where he needs to be to thrive, then it's probably going to be somewhere else and not here in Vancouver. 

I say with Virtanen. to give him a shot there, if it doesn't work out, then I'd switch Virtanen with Pearson. 

Sutter needs to go, because he's a black hole offensively. Nobody playing with him is going to produce very much.

JV and Pearson inter changeable and Roussel replaces Motte when AR is healthy...I like the line up!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I agree but also agree that Babcock should legitimately be on hot seat.

I live in T.O and there has been legit criticism given the team he has and that his claim to fame was he was “the best coach in the NHL” / highest paid as well. 

On Tim and Sid (who I love) post the leafs exit this year, Sid made a great point that resonated with me.

It started with the fact that Babcock was paid based on his past success and the assumption that he is the best coach in the NHL. 

When you look at the Leaf’s roster, sure they hurt a bit on D, but they didn’t have a horrendous group, just not all the right parts. But they have Reilly, and some decent parts, and then of course up front he has an all star top 6, and arguably when Kadri was there the best top 9 in the game. 

Sid then suggested, if you are paid as the best coach in the NHL and can’t get a team with that level of talent, regardless of their holes, to buy into a 2 way system to make up for the imperfections, are you really the coach everyone believed you to be? Think about the teams he had in Detroit, no holes, just stars in all the key positions, then he’s coaching team Canada which coaches itself. 

The questions Sid raised, which I think is valid, was is Babcock as great a coach as people thought or just a decent coach who was fortunate to have great teams built for him to work with? Perhaps the inability of a talented leafs group to play a system that will win in the playoffs is showing he’s not as great a coach as people assumed?

so oversimplified imo.  But wrong thread.  Perhaps better discussed in the highly ironic "Leafs are the most improved" thread - right in line with the Tim and Sid koolaid.  Post this claim there if you want to discuss.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

And there you are, forced to give ACTUAL credit to what has been accomplished.  You realize you are in a no-win situation -- have to either admit there's been a cohesive plan all along, or that Benning and co did the miraculous and rebuilt the entire team in just three years, from a roster of aging vets, NTCs, and a bare prospect pool to one of elite talent, depth, and top-3 in the league in prospects.  It's truly without precedent, and in saying they completely failed for years yet snapped out of it and suddenly did the whole thing in just 3, you're giving them even more credit that we are.  Oh, but that just warrants a slow golf clap :rolleyes:

Those of us who saw it explained it over and over all the way through.  Go ahead -- necro-mine all the times we explained it the past five years, and you'll find not one tune changed, the overall plan's been the same.

End result, the team has been successfully rebuilt, and this season should bear that out.  Calling people "clowns" who saw it all along (not to mention never boasted about it) doesn't help your case and only makes you look even more bitter and self-righteous as you cling to whatever you can to criticize what's been accomplished here.  Aside from all that nonsense, true Canuck fans don't even care how we got here, but would join in together and enjoy the fruits, not continue to throw rocks and mud like the last few of you are.  Fortunately we're seeing that in spades now as the tank-train is all but empty, fans excited, and can't wait for the season to start.

Meanwhile, where's JD Burke?  According to him, the rebuild should be getting started just about now, because "the Gudbranson trade set them back 4-5 years."

:picard:

Great post HW. There's potential here for the 'sudden turnaround' that could be one for the ages.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

It is probably because most of us are so sick of constant negativity from idiots like hfcanucks who spew constant crap on anything the canucks do. That poll a few pages back that showed half of hf would rather lose boeser if JB were fired instead of keeping JB just shows how stupid and negative some so called 'fans' can be. They really are the cesspool of Canuck 'fandom' and they disgust me.

In turn it makes me see Canuck moves in a more positive light instead of participating in some kind of weird negative circle jerk.

I would rather read these positive comments and continue to try to be positive about this team that I support and love to watch. Does it mean sometimes some here go overboard with positivity? Sure....but I take that any day of the week over those disgusting negative mouth breathers at hfcanucks.

At least with the mostly positive attitudes here, this group of Canuck fans can prevent this whole site from becoming polluted by the mouth diarrhea spewed at that other site. It (hf) was not that bad until a smaller group of negative idiots began to tire the real fans with sheer volumes of stupid whiny posts and force the positive fans to leave allowing many more negative idiots to join hf. I mean....have you ever read the posts there....there are a few morons there with 10's of thousands of posts and they are nothing but whiny crap and some of them purposely want to see the canucks completely fail just so JB gets fired?  I think they have mental health issues. :frantic:

Thank god I mainly come to this site to read about Canuck news.

Anywho - how about that Ferland!!!! Love the acquisition.

Bet 80-90% of that ilk are NO fans of the Canucks..just claim to be. Then they smear a fanbase through association, courtesy of that lame, F***ing HFsite.

There's a nasty little agenda at play, over there.

• Upvote 4