The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

52 minutes ago, oldnews said:

so oversimplified imo.  But wrong thread.  Perhaps better discussed in the highly ironic "Leafs are the most improved" thread - right in line with the Tim and Sid koolaid.  Post this claim there if you want to discuss.

Ok 

CB16A940-F3B7-4BFA-A863-4FB3B97EC2FC.jpeg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Well BHut might notice that guys like MDZ are signing one year 750k deals....Hutton's last two seasons weren't exactly any better than MDZ's.  Last year might earn him the edge, but 1 million in this climate might be a realistic take for Hutton.

Did it come out what LA offered Hutton?

1 hour ago, samurai said:

this team was super soft, and we arguably just became the toughest team in the west.  We now have 3 legit bad boys for all weight categories and of course Miller.   Things just got helluva a lot easier for EP and crew.   If you are causing trouble on the ice you now got 4 different guys who are going to make your ring the bell.   This is the toughest this team has been for well over a decade.  

Best roster (on paper) since '94 IMHO.

This team just needs to back their way up into the playoffs and then that real fun can begin.

C'mon training camp!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

To me that’s a cop out since it allows everyone to apply there own filter. Canucks have played some of there worst hockey consistently. We’ve set franchise records of longest time frame with a single shot so it’s really hard to convince me that we’ve been competitive.  Oilers fans said the same thing for many years. That they were in games just a player or two away from really winning. Yet they are the definition of not being competitive.  

JBs definition of being competitive is playing meaningful games in March and April.  We haven’t played those games in a long time. 

And yet, despite all of those stats you've provided, we're still a competitive team. This whole "cop out" notion is just one side of the argument refusing to see the other side.

And what does "having a player or 2 away from winning" have to do with this? We wanted to keep the drive in our players. At least, unlike Edmonton, our team's actually shown a sense of pride.

And yet here, the term "cop out" is being used as if having this pride is some swear word, like staying competitive shouldn't be a thing. Is this really how petty we're going to go in all of this? What's wrong with staying competitive? I honestly don't get it. I'm being genuinely honest about this. I don't get your stance despite my attempts to.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'd be surprised - who knows -  but he could fall into the Luca Sbisa category - who didn't sign early in UFA last year and wound up taking a 1.5 million deal after what was, imo, a considerably better season on a deep, very compettitive Vegas team (where Sbisa earned nearly 20 minutes among a lot of competition) = better than what Hutton just did in Vancouver last year, and much better than Hutton's previous campaign.

I'm not sure the team will sign any more LHDepth considering Juolevi, Sautner and Brisebois, but if there were a need, I wouldn't be opposed to a cheap Luca Sbisa.  Derek Engelland is another fairly solid stay at home - Kronwall still there, Girardi, and of course Gardiner.

Complicating things for a guy like Hutton:

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/defenseman/ufa/available/

a considerable amount (10?) of at-least comparables to him with at least a handful of better defensemen still available.

Hutton and Sbisa both got too much money, too soon in their careers.  Then, when it became apparent the players they really were, there was a great deal of pain to get their salaries back to a more reasonable amount.  Hutton is going through this right now.  They're both 3rd pair imo.

$2.8 is way too much and there is no way Benning was giving him a raise on that.  It's unfortunate for Hutton because Benning's mistake eventually caused Hutton to be let go.

I mean, it's a contributing factor.  He might still be here at $1.4 but bottom line, the Canucks will be better with Benn.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Sorry, don't agree.

Bear's a better all around player than MacEwen is right now. We don't need his toughness anymore. We need skilled depth more than anything and if Bear is healthy, it means Jake has to slide down and Zac starts off in the AHL.

So Baertschi is gonna play on the 3rd line and Virtanen on the 4th line?  Yeah okay.  I guess you haven't been paying attention to anything Benning has been doing this summer.  Are we gonna slot Goldobin on the 4th line as well because he's a better goal scorer than Motte?  

4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

I can tell you Ferland won’t be a coward like Guddy and Sutter were 

so many times last season we had guys that were not team players enough to standup for smaller teammates 

Guddy is gone, just have to dump Sutter now

Matheson will be conveniently injured and will miss all games against the Canucks next season.....oh and that punk cock a nemi  in Montreal better watch his back as well 

these new Canucks are gonna leave a mark ..... literally 

One better, send someone to flatten their star.. that's a message that wouldn't be ignored and watch petey and brock get pegged off limits in a hurry around the league.. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

Best roster (on paper) since '94 IMHO.

This team just needs to back their way up into the playoffs and then that real fun can begin.

C'mon training camp!

If this team makes it into the playoffs, and if they stay healthy *knocks on wood*... they are going to be one hell of a fuc*ing team to take on. That will be a LONG 7 game series for almost any team to play against. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1