The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Baertschi is gonna play on the 3rd line and Virtanen on the 4th line?  Yeah okay.  I guess you haven't been paying attention to anything Benning has been doing this summer.  Are we gonna slot Goldobin on the 4th line as well because he's a better goal scorer than Motte?  

No but I do think the goal is to have a balance of grit and speed and skill throughout. If better players push other good players down the line up it will only make us deeper and way harder to match up against. The classic fourth line of muckers and grinders is a thing of the past. Lines 2 through 4 can be a crap shoot done nights. It’s not a bad thing if a player like Virt plays on the fourth line. It just means we are a better team. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While Gudbranson may not be the game’s most talented defenseman, he still is one of the toughest players in the league, who isn’t afraid of anyone. He took on all comers when he was here and never lost. Martin, Wilson, Haley, Hamonic, and more.

Damn straight. 

Ask Hamonic. 

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

No but I do think the goal is to have a balance of grit and speed and skill throughout. If better players push other good players down the line up it will only make us deeper and way harder to match up against. The classic fourth line of muckers and grinders is a thing of the past. Lines 2 through 4 can be a crap shoot done nights. It’s not a bad thing if a player like Virt plays on the fourth line. It just means we are a better team. 

I dunno. I still kinda think that the fourth line is a grinder line. Hockey doesn't change that much to be honest. And many of the GM's I find are very much traditional and old school mentality. It doesn't surprise me that many coaches still see the fourth line as just that. Be defensively good, and chip in offensively if you are able to. But it's not a place where offensive players could develop their games, because that's not their roles on the fourth line. 

The first two lines, I find, still get the most ice time, and depending on the game, maybe the third line (if defence is often needed to protect a lead). The fourth line generally has the least amount of minutes. I'd say that if Virtanen is stuck on the fourth, he's never going to amount more than anything than just that - a grinder in the NHL. I want to see if he can actually produce offensively in the NHL. Will that be with the Canucks? maybe not. But I hope he gets a long look, before management and/or coach deems him to only be a fourth line player. I think he has a chance to be so much more than that! 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

Hmm.. Ferland Miller Petey? 

Messier, Kurri, and Gretz? Same type of styles there at least.. shrugs.. 

Ferland to Miller to Alien? Yes please! Lmao!

Seriously, i watched mess run over guys,  go get the puck, feed to kurri and drop to gretz.. and repeat! If we (anyone) can copy that line = lethal!  ;)

I wouldnt bet against it.  As much as I like seeing Boeser and EP do their thing, I feel like Boeser seems to play much more straight forward with Bo

3 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I wouldnt bet against it.  As much as I like seeing Boeser and EP do their thing, I feel like Boeser seems to play much more straight forward with Bo

EP40 will make anyone playing with him look better than they are. He's that good. 

EP40 has chemistry with Boeser. I'd be more inclined to keep them together. 

Bo seemed to have worked well with Pearson last year. So maybe see if they still have chemistry together? 

Miller/EP40/Boeser

Pearson/Horvat/Ferland (heavy line for a top six)

Third line I can see: Bärtschi/Gaudette/Virtanen

Fourth line: Leivo/Beagle/Roussel 

Extras: Sutter (if he hasn't been traded away yet), Goldobin (ditto) 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, hammertime said:

Why? Is he better at anything than Bo? I dont know if you noticed but Bo out scored him. Look at who they play on a line with and the minutes they play. And Bo still put up more points. 

Bo's deal is a steal of a contract.  Brock could easily say, look at Nylander, I am as good, if not better and look at his deal.  

Getting Brock at under 6 is not likely.  The club isnt in cap trouble, but does need to lose dead weight.  

7 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

You're a complete IMBECILE if you think that to be correct in anyway. Most times he was the ONLY player on the roster who was willing and successful in stepping up against ANYONE. He was the one who called for Martin's head after the sh*t he pulled. He always had his teammates back but was also relied on as part of the D core and couldn't do ALL the heavy lifting himself.

Calling a heart and soul guy like that a coward...willing to bet you've NEVER been in a fight in your life.  

Pretty laughable 

Guddy was pathetic and I am so glad he is gone. Pylon for a player and overrated as a tough guy

as for fighting don’t even go there little man behind his keyboard. Unlike you, I Have played and continue to actually play the game. I lost count of my fights... and suspensions 

like you know me, who is the imbecile? 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 2

15 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While Gudbranson may not be the game’s most talented defenseman, he still is one of the toughest players in the league, who isn’t afraid of anyone. He took on all comers when he was here and never lost. Martin, Wilson, Haley, Hamonic, and more.

I had 2 big issues for Guddy. One is he chose when he wanted to be a tough guy and stick up for other guys on the team. Some nights he just decided to be a gentle giant and those were often nights when one of the smaller players were taken advantage of 

I also hated his defensive game. He truly was a pylon and was not worth his initial perceived value 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, iceman64 said:

One better, send someone to flatten their star.. that's a message that wouldn't be ignored and watch petey and brock get pegged off limits in a hurry around the league.. 

Totally agree

watching this year’s playoffs should convince everyone of the need to be tough. Every star player has a mark on their back in a seven game series. If a team wants to win they will want Hughes or Petey out in game 1 or 2. Hopefully or team will be punishing and immediately show we play an eye for an eye style

i love how we now have a great mix of talent and grit

bring on the Leafs 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I dunno. I still kinda think that the fourth line is a grinder line. Hockey doesn't change that much to be honest. And many of the GM's I find are very much traditional and old school mentality. It doesn't surprise me that many coaches still see the fourth line as just that. Be defensively good, and chip in offensively if you are able to. But it's not a place where offensive players could develop their games, because that's not their roles on the fourth line. 

The first two lines, I find, still get the most ice time, and depending on the game, maybe the third line (if defence is often needed to protect a lead). The fourth line generally has the least amount of minutes. I'd say that if Virtanen is stuck on the fourth, he's never going to amount more than anything than just that - a grinder in the NHL. I want to see if he can actually produce offensively in the NHL. Will that be with the Canucks? maybe not. But I hope he gets a long look, before management and/or coach deems him to only be a fourth line player. I think he has a chance to be so much more than that! 

The game has changed so get over it 4th line players are developing and are going to be 3 and 2 line players as they produce . Its a faster and more skilled game . If a player is better than his line he will move up .Opportunity to move up will always be there.  If Jake is capable to play in the top 6 he will play in the top 6. This year he will earn his spot too many players better right now.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

EP40 will make anyone playing with him look better than they are. He's that good. 

EP40 has chemistry with Boeser. I'd be more inclined to keep them together. 

Bo seemed to have worked well with Pearson last year. So maybe see if they still have chemistry together? 

Miller/EP40/Boeser

Pearson/Horvat/Ferland (heavy line for a top six)

Third line I can see: Bärtschi/Gaudette/Virtanen

Fourth line: Leivo/Beagle/Roussel 

Extras: Sutter (if he hasn't been traded away yet), Goldobin (ditto) 

I think this is bang on. I have no personal vendetta towards Sutter but I think that ship has sailed and that Gaud is one of the most over looked and under valued guys we have. It’s also pretty great that Madden appears to be following in his foot steps and may turn out to be another steal (by draft position). 

Maybe Baer gets traded and ZM moves up at some point as well. He would be a great 4th liner at this point in his development and it wouldn’t stunt his growth. 

8 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

I’m okay with adapting to changing circumstances over time. Rigid adherence to a master plan isn’t always a precursor to a Stanley Cup. 

St. Louis Blues are a fine example of this. Weeks away from blowing the whole thing up, they made a few changes on the fly. I’m sure that the majority of their fans chose to enjoy the moment, rather than posting walls of text to debate whether their GM is an idiot for not sticking to the plan. :rolleyes:

When did I say he was an idiot.....

Oh that’s right I didn’t, I’ve even praised him for turning it around when the plan changed.  I simply pointed out that the plan has changed just as you just did. Maybe if you actually read that “wall of text” haha paragraph form, you’d had the slightest clue to what the debate is actually about.... or you can just post memes and plus hunt. 

6 hours ago, bad alice french said:

Benning has much bigger plans for Virtanen than just being a 4th line plug.  There is only so much ice time to be given out.  If you are pushing Virtanen all the way down to the 4th line his ice time will shrink dramatically and you can say bye bye to his career and development.  It's a waste of his skill set.  And what, all just to fit Baertschi into the top 9?  It ain't gonna happen.  Leivo and Virtanen are much better options on the 3rd line than Baertschi and play a heavy game.  They can also still score goal and contribute.  That's what playoff hockey is all about.  We even have Roussel who can move up and down the lineup and easily slot into the 3rd line.

Like I said there is no room for Baertschi or Eriksson.  We have our missing pieces now.  Those two are excess baggage taking up valuable cap space.  I'm sure Benning would like to have some cap flexibility during the year if injuries occur so moving those two players and their contracts helps us now and in the future.  I don't think Benning wants to start the year being right at the cap.  Being under $80 million is ideal to start the year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

I had 2 big issues for Guddy. One is he chose when he wanted to be a tough guy and stick up for other guys on the team. Some nights he just decided to be a gentle giant and those were often nights when one of the smaller players were taken advantage of 

I also hated his defensive game. He truly was a pylon and was not with his initial perceived value 

His first pass was non existant as well. Off the boards or glass every time.

8 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Too much skill for 3rd line, that boy can snipe and well as a punch/hit.. 

I do agree, but if Miller ends up on the top line and Baer and Pearson stick with Bo, this is a possible.  I don't really expect it to happen though - I believe Ferland will do well here.

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Yes to Guadette over Sutter.

Gaudettes not an nhler yet and hes certainly not a puck distributor, which is what his perceived wingers will need.  With how deep we are, his best case scenario is playing wing on the 4th line this upcoming year.

• Cheers 1