The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

3 minutes ago, Brovat said:

I’m pretty high on Gaudette maybe that’s clouding my judgement. 

the way stan smyl spoke, adam will start in utica  to develop with more ice time and responsibility.  he would certainly be back up if suts is moved or for injuries. in utica he can play top 6 minutes and hone his offence. again it is, whats best for the player’s development.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

I like how Green will be letting Ferland play his own game here. I expect him to be engaged and on high alert for any dirty hits against his team mates. He can also go to the tough areas to get pucks, or clog the crease and he's skilled enough to make plays and score. With Ferland (most likely) as a winger on their line, I wonder how well Pettersson and Boeser will do this year. 35+ goals and 80+ points each?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I love AG, but he didn't look NHL ready last year, let alone to fill Sutter's role on a team making a push for the playoffs.  Keeping AG and dumping Sutter means Bo is back into a defense cman role again and I think they want to lessen that load, not add to it.  Just my opinion though.

I thought he looked decent honestly. Like everyone knows a Sutter injury and Bo is in that role anyways. I think AG and a healthy Beagle make Sutter tradable whether it’s now to sign Boes or at the TDL. Beauty of it all is when Beagle is retiring Madden should be sniffing around. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Ok 

CB16A940-F3B7-4BFA-A863-4FB3B97EC2FC.jpeg

Fine - have it your way - let's soil the Ferland thread with Leafs drama!

Extremely weak claim.  I hope Toronto swallows that - as you have.

I'd love for them to scapegoat Babcock.  That would be hello stupid on their part.

Dubas built a joke - 3 years running - this time with no 4th line, no shutdown centers, a lottery 3rd pairing.  Good luck with that in the playoffs, whatever coach is behind the bench.

Please fire Babcock and stay the deluded course Toronto.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I like how Green will be letting Ferland play his own game here. I expect him to be engaged and on high alert for any dirty hits against his team mates. He can also go to the tough areas to get pucks, or clog the crease and he's skilled enough to make plays and score. With Ferland (most likely) as a winger on their line, I wonder how well Pettersson and Boeser will do this year. 35+ goals and 80+ points each?

the reason i like miller with petey is because he is a good face off man and petey is still learning that. they say miller drives the play, not sure if ferland does too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I've read a few posts and find some hard to follow.

What, exactly, is your point?  In a line or two so I can understand it.

Simple. Canucks strategy has changed their plan from the first few years to the last 3 years. First years were about supporting the twins and giving the roster the help compete.

It didn’t work, we hit rock bottom and went back to the drawing board, with a new coach a new president and some shiny new prospects. The Last few years have been primarily focused on developing and building the new core and far less about pushing for the post season. 

Theres nothing wrong with this decision as ownership and the current roster come into play.... and I’m not even criticizing JB. Just starting the obvious of how the plan has changed over the years.  

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

I love AG, but he didn't look NHL ready last year, let alone to fill Sutter's role on a team making a push for the playoffs.  Keeping AG and dumping Sutter means Bo is back into a defense cman role again and I think they want to lessen that load, not add to it.  Just my opinion though.

pretty incredible Bo did so well offensively despite the defensive load he had to take on and let alone taking the most faceoffs in the league. I can only imagine him this year with two stable wingers and Sutter to help take some of the defensive match ups off his plate. Bo is incredible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Totally agree

watching this year’s playoffs should convince everyone of the need to be tough. Every star player has a mark on their back in a seven game series. If a team wants to win they will want Hughes or Petey out in game 1 or 2. Hopefully or team will be punishing and immediately show we play an eye for an eye style

i love how we now have a great mix of talent and grit

bring on the Leafs 

Leafs can't even get out of first round lol, have not been in a final in over 50years hope they continue the good work.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

the way stan smyl spoke, adam will start in utica  to develop with more ice time and responsibility.  he would certainly be back up if suts is moved or for injuries. in utica he can play top 6 minutes and hone his offence. again it is, whats best for the player’s development.

That’s ok too. I think he’s more of a Bo or Brendan Morrison as far as developing goes. Let him learn in the NHL. Shrug. 

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Gaudettes not an nhler yet and hes certainly not a puck distributor, which is what his perceived wingers will need.  With how deep we are, his best case scenario is playing wing on the 4th line this upcoming year.

I don’t see that.  I see with the new cast of forwards we have spread through the line up he could go 3rd line.

After 1 full season under his belt he deserves to have the opportunity of movement up to the 2nd positioning or down when needed to the 4th.

The opportunity to move gives him the flexibility, and familiarity to work with others, and the potential to show more in any situation in any game.

The 4th line staples him. 

Regardless I would rather have him on the team than Sutter.  It’s time for some to shine, and others to move on.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We are in a position that it would be beneficial for Gaudette to be in Utica for a year or slightly less, but be in a place consistently so he can focus on his development. It's also more beneficial to try and get Sutter some games and show his worth so he has more value should he be still healthy come trade deadline or next off season. Right now Sutter's value is at an all time low and he doesn't need to be moved IMO to have the cap to sign Boeser anyway. If Sutter is healthy, he adds a lot of value as a strong centerman capable of winning possession and be a good shut down guy.

If we want to save a million in a pinch, then Schaller is a no brainier and that's really all we need at this point for some wiggle room anyway. If we can dump LE, then it's just gravy.

Next year, given the right progress for Gaudette, then I see him having a full time spot.

I get the idea of trying to show some value in Sutter,. But even his play before his injuries was getting perimeter-like.

yes.. good on the dot.. but others are getting better.

He is tall , not that heavy or strong..  hopefully being off an entire year he is stronger than ever. 

I wonder sometimes if you were to replace that nameplate on his shirt with something other than Sutter.. does he stand out at all?

• Upvote 2