The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

8 minutes ago, rychicken said:

I think it's Loui and myself - after all, we are all Canucks....

I think it is Loui and Tanev - a lot of people are talking about JV or Goldy as the "sweetener" needed to trade LE. I really think JB and team want to give both of those players another year to prove themselves....if so -  they don't have too many other "sweeteners" that they would be willing to give up....Demko maybe, but that is very risky as well. 

Goldy could go. JV and Demko no way. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loui ends up in Utica before JB trades top assets to get rid of him.  

While I hope that is the case, I am now at the point where I would be ok trading away as high as a 2nd round pick in 2021 IF that were the only way to get rid of Loui.

I would prefer JB and Loui's agent figure something else out without taking back a crap contract. Maybe some team that has a crap contract for a player that is permanently on the LTIR would trade it to us for Loui if they need an actual body in their lineup.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

When did I say he was an idiot.....

Oh that’s right I didn’t, I’ve even praised him for turning it around when the plan changed.  I simply pointed out that the plan has changed just as you just did. Maybe if you actually read that “wall of text” haha paragraph form, you’d had the slightest clue to what the debate is actually about.... or you can just post memes and plus hunt. 

Your inferences are pretty clear.  However there are a few “clowns” out there who don’t agree with you. That makes for interesting discussion. P

I read your opinions and took your advice and “looked in the mirror”, but not before taking off my “rose coloured glasses”  I’d rather see a separate thread about “the plan - was there one, is there one, will there ever be one, and will we ever follow it”, on a separate thread. I thought that this thread was about Ferland, not “the big picture”. If I’m wrong about that, then I should expect that every thread will eventually turn into a debate about the plan.

They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words. That’s why I post memes. 

Actually I prefer the smiley faces to the pluses. I see that you have nearly 10,000 pluses to my 1,342 ;).

Don’t stop what you’re doing, diversity of opinion is why I come on this board. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Brovat said:

Pay the complete 3 and a team like Ottawa might actually give something up to get him. When does LE’s next list of teams he would play for come out? On the 15th I think? 

I think he'd be open to any of the other 30 NHL teams that aren't the Comets. I don't think his list particularly matters anymore.

29 minutes ago, rychicken said:

I think it is Loui and Tanev - a lot of people are talking about JV or Goldy as the "sweetener" needed to trade LE. I really think JB and team want to give both of those players another year to prove themselves....if so -  they don't have too many other "sweeteners" that they would be willing to give up....Demko maybe, but that is very risky as well. 

We could move any of Baer/Leivo/Goldy/Tanev as sweetner with Loui, or otherwise.

JV's only getting moved for something of value coming back (say Ristolainen). Otherwise, he stays put IMO.

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If Eriksson is not self embarrassed by this,.  He will be publicly shamed when he goes on the ice..  I don’t think he gets that.?

Collect the money and hide is not a way to live.

Yeah, that aspect isn't being talked about as much. I wouldn't doubt he is embarrassed to a certain degree. 

Just because contractually he can collect the money, doesn't mean it's in his best interest to do so. Especially at this stage in his career when he still wants to play and also when both parties know the relstionship isn't working.

I'm not sure of all the governing rules but at this point it's best for both parties to find a solution to move on or a way out of the contract to avoid unnecessary turmoil, distraction, and bad blood. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I dunno. I still kinda think that the fourth line is a grinder line. Hockey doesn't change that much to be honest. And many of the GM's I find are very much traditional and old school mentality. It doesn't surprise me that many coaches still see the fourth line as just that. Be defensively good, and chip in offensively if you are able to. But it's not a place where offensive players could develop their games, because that's not their roles on the fourth line. 

The first two lines, I find, still get the most ice time, and depending on the game, maybe the third line (if defence is often needed to protect a lead). The fourth line generally has the least amount of minutes. I'd say that if Virtanen is stuck on the fourth, he's never going to amount more than anything than just that - a grinder in the NHL. I want to see if he can actually produce offensively in the NHL. Will that be with the Canucks? maybe not. But I hope he gets a long look, before management and/or coach deems him to only be a fourth line player. I think he has a chance to be so much more than that! 

He’s had many looks. Obviously he’s still developing and I’m not saying he should be buried in the  fourth line but reality is not every top 20 pick projects to be a top 6 player. My original pint wasn’t really focused on abutting anyway. I just want to make sure that e don’t start crapping on tufts like Bear and Sutter just because they were injured last year. Those are the types of players that other young guys should have to push for a spot. Gaudette for example. I’m really psyched on the kid but if he doesn’t earn his foot thorn I want the best player available playing those minutes. I’m tired of minor leaguers and reclamation projects playing in the top line because we don’t have adequate depth. We finally do now and it will push certain players down the line up. It’s a good thing. It’s a good problem to have. Find other ways to deal with finding money to sign Brock. Don’t go all knee jerk and start running our solid nhlers out of town because of injuries. 

Brandon Sutter is still a good hockey player. When the chips are down do you want him taking the draw and defending draisaitl in our own end or Gaudette. If you’re choosing Gaudette in that instance out of a non conditional desire to see younger players in the line up then you’re a super homer. Which btw we all are. Hehe. 

• Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sutter's last name has nothing to do with his effectiveness.

The one year he was healthy here - he was a 17 goal scorer, 34 pts - while playing shutdown.  People continue to have no idea how good those outcomes are in that context.

Likewise, again in the small sample with Dorsett before both of them yielded to injury - they were dominant.

Sutter - 11 goals, 26 pts in 61 games.+8.  22.6% ozone starts.  Think about that.

Dorsett - 7 goals in 20 games, 29.4% ozone starts.

They absolutely rekt the McDavid line right out of the gate - might be responsible for ruining a deluded Coiler team just on the heels of a playoff birth.

Anyhow - give Sutter a year - with guys like Roussel, Virtanen, et al - in a season where they have a reasonably competitive lineup with quality depth - and see what they can do - and what they can do for EP  - and Horvat's lines.   Sutter and Beagle will be -- if healthy - critical.   Those two lines stiffling the opponent's top 6, with some counterpunching thrown in - is a huge factor,  beyond providing support and opportunity for the young top 6 core (and Hughes).

For sure. Sutter, if healthy, is an important, shutdown center and great at draws. A righty to boot. But kids and players do get preferential treatment based on last names. Always have and always will. Guess the same can be said for many professions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The one year he was healthy here - he was a 17 goal scorer, 34 pts - while playing shutdown.  People continue to have no idea how good those outcomes are in that context.

Likewise, again in the small sample with Dorsett before both of them yielded to injury - they were dominant.

Sutter - 11 goals, 26 pts in 61 games.+8.  22.6% ozone starts.  Think about that.

Dorsett - 7 goals in 20 games, 29.4% ozone starts.

They absolutely rekt the McDavid line right out of the gate - might be responsible for ruining a deluded Coiler team just on the heels of a playoff birth.

Anyhow - give Sutter a year - with guys like Roussel, Virtanen, et al - in a season where they have a reasonably competitive lineup with quality depth - and see what they can do - and what they can do for EP  - and Horvat's lines.   Sutter and Beagle will be -- if healthy - critical.   Those two lines stiffling the opponent's top 6, with some counterpunching thrown in - is a huge factor,  beyond providing support and opportunity for the young top 6 core (and Hughes).

Thank you. 

Geez I spend so much time defending Sutter. Memories are so short around here. 

• Cheers 4

49 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Can’t see us moving Sutter.  After all the moves we’ve made it’s pretty clear we’re hard charging for the playoffs and a good 3C is pretty key.  His contact is also up before the dreaded offseason where we have to re-sign Petey and Quinn.  No impetuous to move him.

Nothing against Gaudette as he’s a big part of the future but he’d have to show more than last season before we clear out Sutter for him.  

I think you are correct.  I was pretty hard on Sutter last year mostly out of frustration and the team losing too many players to injury all the time - including Sutter.  But "IF" he can stay healthy I think it's best to send Adam down to get him some confidence on the offensive side of his game and be a leader.  The players available for Utica will mainly be Canuck property next year and there is quite a nice group of players in their early to mid 20's.  Benning has sure been busy and it sure looks like he has a plan. Our center depth if everyone is healthy is very good including Miller if required. 

Assuming Goldobin, Schaller and Gaudette are there.  Add Teves and Rafferty to the D available.  Woo back to Junior.

image.png.8748f6fc09abd3ceafd98ff89ddbba06.png

Edited by Borvat
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

878065_bq1csZsQ.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I think you are correct.  I was pretty hard on Sutter last year mostly out of frustration and the team losing too many players to injury all the time - including Sutter.  But "IF" he can stay healthy I think it's best to send Adam down to get him some confidence on the offensive side of his game and be a leader.  The players available for Utica will mainly be Cancuk property next year and there is quite a nice group of players in their early to mid 20's.  Benning has sure been busy and it sure looks like he has a plan.  Assuming Goldobin, Schaller and Gaudette are there.  Our center depth if everyone is healthy is very good including Miller if required.

I don't know what you're talking about. Don't remember you arguing with me for pages about Sutter at all last season :P

Good to see you're coming around ;) 

Just now, aGENT said:

I don't know what you're talking about. Don't remember you arguing with me for pages about Sutter at all last season :P

Good to see you're coming around ;) 

I will come around when he proves he is still effective and can stay healthy.  Until then I remain skeptical at worst and hopeful at best.  It's been a while and a few injuries since he has been close to what we thought we were getting and what he once was.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Ohhhh, you might be right.

(We're not trading you, you're gold around here.  But may just be Tanev....)