The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

Just now, Odd. said:

Sutter, Loui, Tanev, probably all three are likely out the door. 

Sutter yes

Loui ... who would take him without retaining salary?

Tanev worth more to us than a trade could bring in

• Upvote 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Sutter yes

Loui ... who would take him without retaining salary?

Tanev worth more to us than a trade could bring in

Ottawa perhaps

Here's my ideal lineup after camp... only question mark is Baer and if he can stay healthy in the middle 6

Leivo - Pettersson - Boeser 

Miller - Horvat - Pearson 

Baertschi - Gaudette - Virtanen 

Roussel  - Beagle - Ferland 

Edler - Hughes

Myers - Stecher

Benn - Tanev

• Haha 3
  • Wat 7

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Sutter, Loui, Tanev, probably all three are likely out the door. 

I'm convinced with the signing of Ferland, Eriksson's days as a Canuck are significantly numbered. 

Making it easier to send him to Utica 

• Like 1

My guess is Ferland will come in slightly less than Johansson money.   Ferland has been proven to be a decent complimentary player but he has been a bit less productive than Johansson.

If I understand correctly, even if the Canucks are over the cap before the start of the season, since Roussel is expected to be in LTIR until December, they should have no trouble fitting Ferland under the cap to start the season.  They'll probably have to paper down Pettersson and Boeser to clear cap space to start the season in addition to sending down Eriksson and Schaller to gain even the little bit of cap relief that would provide.  CapFriendly has Gaudette, Sautner and Brisebois on the Canucks roster and they presumably will also be demoted.  That alone would save the Canucks a lot of cap space to allow them to rejig their roster after the season has started.

The addition of Ferland presumably spells the end of Goldobin.  He was already hard pressed to find a role with the team but with the addition of Ferland, I really can't see how Goldobin will have a roster spot.  He's skilled but he doesn't seem to have the type of game that the Canucks want to have on their roster. 

The Canucks could obviously still find a way to clear cap space before the end of the summer.  Perhaps the Canucks may have a trade to announce in the next few weeks simply based on the glut of forwards that we have.  They could wait until Roussel is closer to being healthy but if the rumors are true that the Canucks are looking to acquire Lucic for Roussel (another forward swap...), then maybe there are other contracts being exchanged as well.  I would think there would have to be a 3rd team involved to provide the Oilers and the Canucks with cap relief though.  Pure speculation on my part...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

just watch

now he will finally get called for charging  :mellow:

He took a charging penalty in the 15 playoffs vs... come on memory... Tanev? And if it recall it lead to a double minor cause he ran Lack over while we had possession still.