The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

Love having Ferland on the team.

Have been watching for rumours on teams picking him up ever since July 1 passed. So glad JB waited to see if he would be around a week later at a discount from July 1 expectations 

I constantly complained last year about our lack of toughness and response when other teams took liberties.

So glad we are going to be back bigger, stronger, tougher, and meaner 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Recall Dorsett's "thank-you" tweet when Benning signed Prust.  Well now, no one or two guys have to do all the heavy-lifting.  Like JB envisioned, team grit and toughness will be a team identity throughout the lineup.  We won't be relying on a single guy to be an enforcer or to clean up after incidents.  No matter what line's on the ice, there will be pushback and accountability for opposing players.

Love it!!!!

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Deep forward group, for sure, especially if some of the young guys who have already made an impact take another step, which is completely possible for guys like EP, Boeser, Virtanen and Gaudette.

Defense still really depends on the health of Edler and Tanev.

And then of course, the most important aspect: goaltending; Markstrom will have to play like he did in the 2nd half of this past season. It's really his only "great" body of work at the NHL level, so I'm not sure if it's enough of a sample size to bank on. We'll see.

Luck permitting (and we're due), wouldn't be surprised if we get in.

Jacob's numbers are very similar for the last two seasons, I don't see his play last year being the outlier that many on here claim it was. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, fecklund said:

which one of you jerks just called into SN650, and why are you drinking at 4pm on a Wednesday afternoon? :lol:

King of Surrey ;)  

Now KOS you can give me a confused face here instead of going back over my posts from weeks ago to do so. It will be nice and easy for you.......

Edited by gerry35
clarity
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

when Roussel is healthy- that lineup would be very tough to play against, I still think to be a sure fire playoff team we need another top offensive player, but this team is superior to last years on paper for sure

Consider, everyone in that top-6 has put up 20 goals before, and consider their ages: 21, 22, 24, 26, 27, 27 -- all either approaching or in their prime.

14 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Miller - Horvat - Pearson
Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser
Baertschi - Sutter - Virtanen 

Motte - Beagle - Leivo 

Goldobin
IR: Roussel

Mutually terminate Eriksson. He's gotten a majority of his contract paid, no point in sticking around if you're not wanted and don't want to be here.

Bury Schaller in the AHL. Then we sign Boeser to an AAV around 7m and we might just under the cap. 

He's got to be realizing by now there isn't a place for him on this roster.  The top-6 is filled out and we still have others like Baertschi who can play there and have out-performed him.  The bottom-6 is also full and there's young players like Gaudette and MacEwen knocking at the door.  Quite certain the Canucks and his agent are working something out.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Very impressed that Ferland signed at that low cap hit especially with the modified no trade starting after the 2nd year and agreeing to be exposed in the expansion draft. Maybe he plans on playing so damn good that Vancouver won't want to expose him?!? 

Ferland to sign at 4x4.

"With the recap, we won't be able to sign another top-6" - Benning

"Hey Jim, we'll take 3.5..."

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Nigerian said:

I have to say, personally, I find Ferland better on Peteys line rather than Horvats. Horvat needs more skill on his line rather than grit. Boeser and Petey are two very skilled forwards who could use the grit working on the boards/net presence/dirty areas. Horvat and Miller would provide that second punch with a winger of Pearson/Leivo/Virtanen. 

Im just gushing at the possibilities with our depth in the next couple of years, Fam. 

Logical top 6 to make for sure. As many have already stated. 

Ferland - EP - Boeser 

Pearson - Horvat - Miller 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I have a feeling Don Cherry will love the new look Canucks and will rip the ultra soft Leafs :) 

Life is good..........

I really like how this team is shaping up now, lots of speed, skill and toughness. Just need to move out some surplus for another good defencemen and things will be even better.

• Like 2