The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

21 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The 3rd line doesn't need a 'driver' imo - they were without a 'driver' last year and were extremely effective in the short time they spent together - they are a shutdown line that if/when will produce in transition as a counterpunch line - I'd keep them as they are as opposed to concerning myself with who the 'playmaker' is.  Sutter/Dorseet likewise was extremely effective, without a playmaker.

Sutter doesn't need a a playmaker as he is where pucks go to die.....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Full season of Hughes, plus a big RH shot in Myers and Miller’s net front presence bode well for this.  

Not to mention we still have Edler and his drop pass for old time’s sake. 

Speaking of drop pass are we really doing another season with mr brown’s power play extravaganza 

51 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Good post... Short of the bolded. 

Nobody with half a brain is going to argue with you about Eriksson. But neither Beagle or Sutter's contracts are 'bad', let alone 'very bad'.

They may not have bargain congrats (like Ferland's appears to be) but they're both immensely valuable, defensive players. They, nor their contracts are 'bad' or require 'dumping' as seems to a prevalent theory around here.

I wouldn't consider Sutter's too terrible if he could stay healthy, but he missed most of last season and a significant amount of time the year before that. His production took a significant hit this season as well. I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned that contract of his is predicated on the idea that he can stay healthy and produce consistently. If he can't, then it just isn't worth it imho. Hopefully he can rebound this season with the added depth and easier schedule.

As far as the Beagle contract goes, I've never been a fan of it. A pretty significant cap hit for 33 year old that doesn't provide a ton of offense. I understand that you need these guys to take the significant amount of defensive draws so you don't have to rely on your top two centers to take a huge percentage of them, but I just think it's too much money and too much term. And again, injuries play a factor. He only played 57 games this year.

With both him and Sutter being out for so much of the season, Bo's deployment was affected and he spent as much time taking D zone draws as he did in the offensive zone, which could have affected his numbers negatively. Bottom line is they both have to remain relatively healthy for those contracts to be anywhere near worth it. 

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Lots of management types in all sports have made dumbfounding mistakes when it comes to contracts/cap. It happens every year and it will continue to happen.

It's okay to question questionable moves.

I'm confused here - are you questioning the signing of Ferland?

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Cool but how do we have the space for this.

Cap space or sheer locker room space?  I mean: how many forwards are hanging around now?  15?

Eriksson is gone, is one thing I read from this.  To Utica I suspect.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

lots of harping on Paterson, any chance he was just trolling and being sarcastic? I don't use the twitter or any social media crap. I get enough of that negativity being on here in all honesty...

Good signing, JB needs to now move out some dead weight. Also, keep Brock's deal so he is an RFA at the end or go 7-8 years and eat up some UFA years

I'm kinda on board with the whole 4 year thing if he's willing to take a bridge lower AAV I don't value him as highly as Bo so if he wants to do a 4 year bridge at 5.3 or so with a big payday at the end to make his QO higher and he earns it then great pay the man. I'm a bit wary of a 7-8 year deal at higher AAV for a guy missing a chunk of his spine and an ailing wrist that never heals. Still a huge Brock fan just trying to be objective when it comes to long term contracts for guys with health concerns. Baertschi would be a steal if it weren't for his concussions... Sutter is worth every penny if he plays a full season, Tanev is a great top 4 shut down D but cant play 82, Edler and so on. when these guys suit up they are worth their contracts no question.

Is Brock worth 7+m x8 if he cant stay healthy?  

1 minute ago, MikeBossy said:

He's one of those players you hate to play against but man when you have a guy like him on your team you play a couple inches bigger and 10 lbs heavier with him on the ice :)

Absolutely.  And it's to the credit of Benning that he went for Ferland.  Pettersson is going to be praising Ferland pretty quick too.  Just like Hughes is going to be appreciating Benn and Myers.  The team is looking much much harder to play against. Boeser and Pettersson just added 5 games each and 15 points each to their year lol.  Virtanen is going to be feeling pretty excited too -- motivated too lol. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

He's one of those players you hate to play against but man when you have a guy like him on your team you play a couple inches bigger and 10 lbs heavier with him on the ice :)

That's it. Absolutely. :)

8 hours ago, Nigerian said:

I love how this guy single handedly man handled the Canucks in 2015. Everyone hated him now everyone’s on board with him playing here. I know he’s the type of player you love him when he’s on your side and hate him when he’s not, but It’s still just too funny to me.  When was the last time we signed/acquired a player who the team/fans had beef with in the past? 

I was one of those guys who hated Ferland in '15 because he was single handedly embarrassing us.

BUT.  I respected him and liked his style.   

2 guys I could never get behind if they ever  became Canucks are Lucic and Marchand.  The hate is real with those 2.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1