The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THE REBUILD IS OVER

Rate this topic

Zigmund.Palffy

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely my faves are Prust, Vey and LE....they should also all be annointed knights of Benning empire and held up as the best of good tries....maybe even statues should be made with Benning too depicting a scene of when he signed them desk and all.   The plaque can read “During the Holy re-Tool phase, we held these guys at the highest praise”...also include WD’s mustachios on the plaque..

There were unconfirmed reports of tears flowing from the Roger Neilson statue July 1st 2018z 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

There were unconfirmed reports of tears flowing from the Roger Neilson statue July 1st 2018z 

And when Benning did walk upon the water no one cared that it was frozen. He simply turned the water into ice for the warm wine

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

NO.  Subban is overrated and wouldn’t surprise me if one of Hughes, Myers or even Edler outscore him.  In NSH he was used against a much lower level of competition then Weber sees in MTL (the best) and could still barely manage 40 points.   Much rather have Benn and Myers, who are  at least as good defensively.  At that price he should be doing it all and still be a Norris quality guy (which I don’t ever think he was, he robbed EK of a Norris)....Josi was their top guy.    Maybe he has a bounce back year but I think he won’t and NJ will come to regret this move.  

Ok sure.

That wasn’t the choice I had - it was subban vs beagle/ Schaller / Erik/ Sutter m

Not sure that subban is washed up?  Haven’t seen him play in a while -  but when he was with the canadiens he was awesome....

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, coastal.view said:

well i guess fans like to think it is their money that is being spent

i don't, so it really does not matter to me

i'm more concerned about seeing a steady progression or development of the core players

which appears to be on track

and that the team avoids cap hell that some teams are now facing due flawed planning

so i think the chances of avoiding early overspending

is somewhat inhibited by having cap space at this stage of the team building tied up

as it increases greatly the chances it will be properly assigned to the key players

since it will only become available when they expect significant contracts

suggesting acquiring subban at this stage of team building

is appealing

but his contract term and aav will in fact most likely create

the same salary cap hell we see in other teams this off season

so your appetite for him only confirms my comfort with the present salary cap situation

making him unaffordable to the team

The money and cap is a logical part of team building and it’s structure.   It is as important sometimes as the players that are on the team.  Sometimes!/  fans don’t think it is their money.....  not sure where you get that but it is way of base and topic imho ;)  

a case in point:  if we hit home runs and get awesome players the next 5 years in the draft, maybe we can’t afford to pay them and will have to trade them...: and keep some of the older less talented FAs that were signed.  Depends how awesome they are and what they are worth of course.   But that is exactly the concern - and how it correlates with development.  

The team is just trying to make the playoffs now - and I applaud their attempts.  However I hope a different mentality governs decisions once that goal has been achieved.  One that correlates with your more long term vision

The thing is it's not my choice either way so for now I'm looking forward and excited to see how the team does. These last few years have been brutal and it's nice to finally have a team that should at least be able to compete on a nightly basis and are entertaining to watch while doing it. The dark period of tanking is hopefully over for a long time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, canucksnihilist said:

The money and cap is a logical part of team building and it’s structure.   It is as important sometimes as the players that are on the team.  Sometimes!/  fans don’t think it is their money.....  not sure where you get that but it is way of base and topic imho ;)  

a case in point:  if we hit home runs and get awesome players the next 5 years in the draft, maybe we can’t afford to pay them and will have to trade them...: and keep some of the older less talented FAs that were signed.  Depends how awesome they are and what they are worth of course.   But that is exactly the concern - and how it correlates with development.  

The team is just trying to make the playoffs now - and I applaud their attempts.  However I hope a different mentality governs decisions once that goal has been achieved.  One that correlates with your more long term vision

Pretty sure their long term vision is to win the Stanley Cup.  To do that, you need to be in the playoffs

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Pretty sure their long term vision is to win the Stanley Cup.  To do that, you need to be in the playoffs

Someone posted a revealing statistic earlier.  22 out of the last 25 Cup winners had playoff experience from the previous season.  The young players need playoff failure, before they can understand how to have playoff success.  

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Someone posted a revealing statistic earlier.  22 out of the last 25 Cup winners had playoff experience from the previous season.  The young players need playoff failure, before they can understand how to have playoff success.  

Well thats weird that the VERY top team in the NHL would qualify for  the playoffs the previous season. Very odd. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Research shows that 100% of the people reading this post aren’t dead. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

Ok sure.

That wasn’t the choice I had - it was subban vs beagle/ Schaller / Erik/ Sutter m

Not sure that subban is washed up?  Haven’t seen him play in a while -  but when he was with the canadiens he was awesome....

I would definitely do that .  But so would 31 other GMs if they could cherry pick two underperformed off their roster and make it work.   Like OTT Ryan plus whomever.  Or Buffalo Okposo plus...

To add Podkolzin and Tryamkin to this group in the future will be something special. No one knows how it will all go, but I can't say it looks bad. I'm just sitting back and smiling, because I can't wait to see this core develop. 

22 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I only hope that Green/Benning let the team win as much as they can.

We have the pieces in place for a play off spot. We need the experience a play off give.

I don’t disagree with that at all, time for these kids to learn to win as Canucks.

i'll say last year gave the team false illusion that they are ready for the playoff.. we got a good chunk of our points in the early half of the season and the 2nd half where injuries and stuff also derailed the team.. but then again.. in the first half of the season.. the bottom half of the playoff teams played like crap.. Colorado was having coaching issues with mckinnon and their coach.. St louis was the last place team in the league etc etc etc so we prolly also gotten a bunch of points that under normal circumstances we might not have gotten.. the team for sure gotten better.. but to say this is definitely a playoff team and the rebuild is over.. let's wait till the end of the season before we come to a conclusion. teams that are still well above us on paper

Calgary

Vegas

teams that should still be above us

San Jose

teams that we'll be competing for 4th in the pacific

Arizona

Edmonton

We can say what we want about San Jose and Vegas losing some players..but they both have plenty of depth and still have their top end talents. McDavid is McDavid.. he'll try to do anything to carry the team on his back into a playoff spot.. and Arizona finished above us last year and added Kessel for galcheyuk. so we'll see if we closed the gap to Arizona.

On 7/10/2019 at 12:24 PM, Metal Face Doom said:

Baby steps.  We've made some great moves but let's temper expectations.  We still have glaring holes and there are a lot of question marks.  However, I think we all like the progression we are witnessing.  

Agreed, the new roster should help when it comes to these 10-15 game mid season losing streaks.