The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bobby Ryan Trade-Buyout

I don’t know how this would work entirely but I think there is something here IF our owner is willing to dish out a lot of cash. 

Eriksson’s contract is Bonus heavy making it basically buyout proof. So I started thinking what contracts are terrible that aren’t as buyout proof. 

Curious us to hear what would be added removed, changed, adjusted, etc etc. 

To Ottawa 

Eriksson 

To Vancouver 

Bobby Ryan 

2nd (one of OTT, CBJ or DAL)

Why for Ottawa:

Ottawa is cheap. They don’t want to spend money especially on a terrible contract for Bobby Ryan. They get out from under this bad contract and get a player who is likely better than his 3 million dollar salary. They also have 3 - 2nd round picks next year. 

Why for vancouver:

Vancouver gets a decent pick, sheds the Eriksson contract. They would then buy out Bobby Ryan which would be a cap hit of 3.583 million for 3 years and 1.833 for an additional 3 years. An Eriksson buyout would be a cap hit of 5.555 for 2 years, 3.555 for a year then .555 for an additional 3 years which wouldn’t help us out in the short term. 

If we can’t buy out Loui but are willing to this might be the TYPE of deal that would work for both parties. 

27 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

After signing Eriksson bonus, you think he might agree to a mutual termination and then he can sign with whoever will give him a couple mill. He wouldn't lose money that way and he would be off books. Or how does that work?

Mutual Termination means he is ineligible to play in the NHL until that contract would have expired.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aladeen said:

Mutual Termination means he is ineligible to play in the NHL until that contract would have expired.

Ohh i see, thanks. So unless he wanted to go back and play in Sweden it's not something he would want to do then. 

When it comes to Loui I don't even care anymore send him to Utica if he refuses to report then he's done us a favor. If he does report then its a huge win for Utica and we have him sitting there for depth in a playoff run. I would say hes a 2m caliber NHL player still so IMO the only way I see a trade working is if JB is taking less than 4m in dead weight back. 

buy out Bobby Ryan which would be a cap hit of 3.583 million for 3 years and 1.833 for an additional 3 years. 

In my mind doesn't quite cut it though the 2nd rounder does make it close especially if it's theirs. I might be persuaded to make this trade. 

All that being said Bobby Ryan 42 points is a better player than Loui 29 points so I think its a non started on both sides. And the buy out window is closed now so  there's also that.

4 hours ago, Aladeen said:

2 hours ago, xereau said:

He could 'retire' and then 'change his mind'. Its been done before.

good retire for a month then go play in the khl or shl  problem solved lol

That trade could work if instead of the Canucks buying him out, he was traded with 50% retention.  This would lower the cap hit to 3 million and not have the additional 3 years.  Another team may be willing to take on Ryan at 50% considering his size and 42 points. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, brian42 said:

That trade could work if instead of the Canucks buying him out, he was traded with 50% retention.  This would lower the cap hit to 3 million and not have the additional 3 years.  Another team may be willing to take on Ryan at 50% considering his size and 42 points. 

What motivation does Ottawa have to do that?  

Honestly Ottawa isn't really in a tough spot for cap space at just under $22 mil. If it were an Eriksson for Ryan trade, Ottawa would be getting a fairly even contract back, which they wouldn't be forced to protect in the expansion draft, with not a lot of real $ to pay Eriksson while applying a $6 mil cap hit.

If Ryan were to come to Vancouver, the stipulation for me would be he'd have to waive his M-NTC, NMC,(maybe with 20-30% retained?). Eriksson gets the fresh start he wants, Ottawa gets rid of a bad contract, which is made a bit less terrible through the NTC,NMC waive, and Vancouver gets rid of a player that doesn't want to be here.

Not saying it would happen, there's probably be a couple other pieces involved, but it's a start. If you were to put an Ottawa 2nd in the trade, we'd probably have to give up someone like Baer. Just a thought FWIW.

5 hours ago, qwijibo said:

What motivation does Ottawa have to do that?  

I THINK he’s saying to make the same deal but WE flip him to another team with 50% salary retention. So Ottawa gets Loui at 3 years, 9 million and rid themselves of Bobby Ryan’s contract. The cap hit is terrible but they aren’t spending to the cap regardless so the only thing they care about is the dollars being dished out. 3 million per vs 7.5 million per. 

The next question would be what would we get for Ryan at 3.625 per season for 3 more years? Or is that STILL a contract that might be hard to move ? 

Since joining Ottawa in 2012 he’s been averaging 68 games a year, 16 goals, 25 assists, 41 points per season.  

Edited by YesWeCanNux