The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Dzingel to Carolina

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I don't think he signed for "cheap", but much closer to his market value than I expected. It's right around the Baertschi contract. Personally I like the 2 year deal as he seems like a riskier player to gamble on IMO and he probably likes that he doesn't have to worry about the expansion and maybe wants to stay out East. If I had to choose between Ferland and Dzingel at the same price, I'm glad we got Ferland.

What's the risk exactly? He's a .5ppg player with no injury history. 

7 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Does this relate to Ferland accepting $3.5 AAV?  Players getting nervous and accepting offers before the music stops

Actually, it's a raise on last years $1.8.....the last 2 seasons with over 20 goals (23, 26) and 3 as an NHL regular

14 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

There's your difference, Miller is younger and almost has double the game experience and points total than Dzingel.  Miller is much more established, 

JT Miller 26, 435GP, 95G, 142A, 237PTS

Dzingel 27, 268GP, 66G, 72A, 138PTS

Ya... but PPG is pretty comparable...  so my point is, is it really worth our 1st pick + paying $1.7M more? Let's not forget JT got to play with Stamkos and Kucherov... Dzingel, well just Ottawa... 

Edited by Virtanen#18
  • Wat 2

Would of loved adding Dzingel but that was before I thought we could even afford Ferland. Would much rather have Miller and Ferland as they address our needs better. Before we get the JB out GM'd  crowd coming out again. We dont even know if Dzingel would of wanted to come here. Ferland cant wait to put on our jersey and I cant wait to see him in it. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I like the Ferland signing but is it always a comparison? 

In isolation, the Dzingel deal is a decent one as I've mentioned. Considering Carolina lost Ferland and signed Dzingel for similar dollars, it's seems as good as any time to compare them.

Just now, theo5789 said:

In isolation, the Dzingel deal is a decent one as I've mentioned. Considering Carolina lost Ferland and signed Dzingel for similar dollars, it's seems as good as any time to compare them.

Fair enough but I don't think he was interested in Carolina..

Look at the Calgary Carolina trade now...yikes.

16 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Ya... but PPG is pretty comparable...  so my point is, is it really worth our 1st pick + paying $1.7M more? Let's not forget JT got to play with Stamkos and Kucherov... Dzingel, well just Ottawa... 

Who's to even say JB & Co. even had Dzingel on their list.

Edited by canucklehead80

24 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

What's the risk exactly? He's a .5ppg player with no injury history. 

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It'll be interesting to see which player he'll be

The Ottawa Dzingel or the Columbus Dzingel 

He didn't look good after arriving in Columbus 

@73 Percent this. The Ottawa Dzingel, he was playing with two other players trying to play their way out of there and on contract years in Stone and Duchene who got big payouts. He certainly didn't look as good in Columbus, and especially come playoff time. This is why I think 2 years is better to see what type of player you'd be getting rather than a 4 year and potentially get a Gagner. Riskier may not be the right term because a 40 point guy for 3.5 million is still decent, but he's got to hit at least 40 points a season because he doesn't provide much else.

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Fair enough but I don't think he was interested in Carolina..

Look at the Calgary Carolina trade now...yikes.

Does look bad, but Carolina still made it further in the playoffs this past season!

17 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Quinn Hughes has a better PPG than Drew Doughty.  Does that mean his next contract should be 12M$ AAV?  Anyone can have a really good PPG on a short period, that was kind of my point that Miller is not only younger, but also has much more mileage.  This means that his PPG has been tested and proven over an extended period of time (4-5 years), whereas Dzingel was below 0.5 PPG before the season and after a good one, rose above 0.5PPG based on 1 great season.

He played on the same team, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't played on the same line.   I believe his ice-time dropped coming in from NYR, because of Tampa's depth upfront.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Miller wasn't on a line with Stamkos or Kucherov regularly. Dzingel played regularly with Stone and Duchene. When Dzingel was traded to Columbus, not really sure who his linemates were, but his production dipped back down.

With that said, that point production is all Dzingel provides. Miller plays a heavier game and creates space while being hard on the forecheck. He will stand up for his teammates and can play all forward positions as mentioned with center being a key one. Oh and he also produces points. Miller wasn't available in UFA and is younger. So yes in comparison to the Dzingel signing, he is worth the extra money simply for the difference in playing style along with similar point production (with Miller having more of a resume showing this production which is still higher than Dzingel also) and he is worth the 1st to pry him off a team.

Edited by theo5789
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I'll be the first to admit I haven't watched a ton of TBay games, but from what I recall, JT wasn't out on the ice that often when Stamkos and Kucherov were out there.

Also gotta wonder what the deal is with Dzingel given that it took so long for a team to sign him (at a low cap hit too).

23 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

@73 Percent this. The Ottawa Dzingel, he was playing with two other players trying to play their way out of there and on contract years in Stone and Duchene who got big payouts. He certainly didn't look as good in Columbus, and especially come playoff time. This is why I think 2 years is better to see what type of player you'd be getting rather than a 4 year and potentially get a Gagner. Riskier may not be the right term because a 40 point guy for 3.5 million is still decent, but he's got to hit at least 40 points a season because he doesn't provide much else.

But then you go on to say you're happier to get Ferland... who put up similar playoff numbers this year, and struggled similarly when he returned from injury and wasn't playing on the top line. 

2 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

wow.. they continue to crumble

Columbus might get relegated to the AHL.. 

I think Columbus is underrated, but it's going to come down to their goaltending. Nyquist is a better addition than Dzingel anyway. Their defense is still solid with Jones and Werenski leading the way. Guys like Wennberg and Bjorkstrand will find bigger roles and may see their production go back up as a result and maybe "William Karlsson" themselves in doing so.

Atkinson - Dubois - Anderson

Jenner - Wennberg - Nyquist

Foligno - Texier - Bjorkstrand

Hannikainen - Dubinsky - Nash

Werenski - Jones

Murray - Savard

Harrington - Nutivaara

Not a team that I would be disappointed in having. Plus 5-10 million in cap space still after signing Werenski if they feel the need to add to the lineup.

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Don't think Dzingel's production is far off from JT's?? And yet JT cost us a first round pick and is making $5M. I get it... JT is a power forward, plays all 3 forward positions.... but I would love to get Dzingel at that AAV and a total upgrade over Baerstchi!!

:picard:

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'll be the first to admit I haven't watched a ton of TBay games, but from what I recall, JT wasn't out on the ice that often when Stamkos and Kucherov were out there.

Also gotta wonder what the deal is with Dzingel given that it took so long for a team to sign him (at a low cap hit too).

Probably want more money or term, didn't get the offer he wanted, so he took what he could get that is closer to his value rather than be overpaid.