The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Dzingel to Carolina

9 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

What's the risk exactly? He's a .5ppg player with no injury history. 

The risk is that last year was a career year and he falls off next year and you pay him too much.

Is it likely?  No imo.  He has shown solid progression in 3 full NHL seasons 14-22-26.  

His salary progression is ELC (2 yr) $715, 1yr $750, 2 yr $1.8, 2yr $3.375 which looks reasonable

Now, Miller (26) was a 15th OA pick and is a full year younger than Dzingle (27) Both have March birthdays.  Miller came on the scene at 21 and at 22 (his first full season) he had 22 goals.  Dzingle was a 7th round pick and scored 14 in his first year at age 25 (he went the college route....3 years at Ohio State).  Miller has played 435 NHL games, Dzingle 268.

Not having watched either player much, I can only think that the higher draft pick showed more success at a younger age and that is why he makes almost $2M more.  He's also bigger and brings more sand paper and then there are the dreaded "intangibles".  I haven't gone into the stats

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Nobody likes Torts. The guy is an A-hole.

I’ll never forget how he embarrassed Lui at the winter classic. The guy came off a gold medal win for Canada and was excited to play but gets benched. The crowd was all booing the starting lineup, I was in that crowd and also booing. It was so upsetting to see. 

That was the end of the best goalie in Canuck history....

Zero class Torts.

Remember the story of when they won the cup and the players didn't tell him where the party was?  Lol

I don't think the coach should be partying it up with the players but he should make an appearance and you would think the players would want him to.  Having said that, Torts is not the first coach the players thought was a dick and he won't be the last.

Basically a "show me" contract.  Dzingel knows he came on the scene late, so term and dollars reflect him willing to pay his dues to get a big payday in 2 years and insulates Carolina from any risk to speak of.  Smart signing by both sides; I think he will do very well there.

Dzingel strikes me as the modern day Lee Stempniak.  That is, a one dimensional, good filler player who produces at a decent rate (0.5 PPG), but is more of a passenger than a driver. I'd be a little skittish about doling out anything more than $2.5M to $3.0M and 2 to 3 years for this guy.

17 hours ago, Provost said:

Signed for two years at 6.75 million total. $3.38 million AAV.

Crazy low price for a guy who scored 26 goals and 56 points last year.

Another little bit of comparable for Benning to push Boeser’s contract down a little.  They had identical stats last year with 26 goals and 30 assists.

https://www.tsn.ca/carolina-hurricanes-sign-f-dzingel-to-two-year-deal-1.1336380

It won't affect Boeser's contract at all.  Boeser has more connection with to the Vancouver brand (i.e. one of the faces to the franchise) and forward leadership.  His importance to Vancouver is greater than Dzingel's is to Carolina right now.  That will be recognized in the contract.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:19 AM, timberz21 said:

Wonder why Columbus didn't keep him at that price, after losing Duche. and Panarin

He was healthy scratched for a playoff game. Pretty sure he had no interest in voluntarily staying in Columbus.