The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which new player will have the biggest impact next season?

Rate this topic

48MPHSlapShot

Which UFA signing will have the biggest impact next season?  

210 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

Jodie benn, simply for his defensive play. We need a rock at the back end, he is the guy who can be counted on to shut down at key moments. IMO more so than Myers

Hughes will bring offense to our back end. But i don't think he will soar to become a 50-60 pt dman in his first year. Hope i'm wrong. but 20-30 pts is achievable.

Benn is not a player that can be used to shutdown top players. He's a limited, bottom-pairing D-man (not that there's anything wrong with that).

The answer for me is Hughes, as he'll probably be used as our #1 D-man by Christmas.

Edited by kanucks25

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I say Quinn gets over 60 points this season.  That’s a big difference to our offence.  

I love your optimism @Alflives and I would love that to happen, but no rookie defender in the last 10 years has broken 50pts, if he can manage 30pts its an awesome season, anything over that is just cream!

I would love hime to get 40+ that would be something special.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I say Quinn gets over 60 points this season.  That’s a big difference to our offence.  

That's a little too optimistic.

60pts as a rookie dman is unheard of...

If Hughes can have around a 40pt season for this team we make the playoffs for sure.  40 pts as a rookie dman would be unreal.  

60 pts is just unrealistic.

• Upvote 2

Miller, I think he'll bring a different look to our top six and thrive with either Horvat or EP.

There's a lot of excitement about Hughes and understandably so, but I'm going to take the wait and see approach with him. In the end he's a rookie D and this will be his most extensive playing schedule thus far. 

10 hours ago, AllWeatherFan said:

I like all of what I'm reading here but don't forget to give Jordie Benn some love. I think he'll be a significant culture changer for our team. 

Man, this season should be a blast

Your signature is mesmerizing.

• Haha 1

i’m excited to see our power play with hughes moving around the offensive zone. we’ve been much too stationary to be really effective. 3 on 3 last year showed us how hughes created a whole new look. and yes, our 3 on 3’s.

i’m also looking forward to see how bo plays with pearson and miller.

• Upvote 1

which of our 5 new toys will be best? times are really a changin'

I think it will be Hughes, in part because we've had no real pmd's for such a long time it will really stand out, followed closely by Miller for me, I think he's going to transform the top 6 options. 

Myers and Hughes. Our defense is brutal when it comes to scoring. Those two with Edler and we should hopefully see a much improved blueline scoring group. I love Biega, but if we see him in fewer than 40 games we'll be good. 40 games is too much for him. He's a warrior and has that dog in him but for us to be successful he can't be in the lineup for more than 40 games. I really like all the defensive additions. Honestly it's hard to pick any one player and say "they will have the biggest impact". We need toughness in the top 6. Both Miller and Ferland add that. We needed some depth scoring. Ferland and Miller add that. We needed vast blueline changes. We got that in Myers, Benn and Hughes.

Sounds like a cop out answer but everyone we picked up should have a big effect on the team this season. Even if their effects go largely unnoticed. Ferland and Hughes will likely have the most obvious effects. One with the physicality and one with the point production. Although I think it's a but much to expect him to drop 50-60+ points. That's elite level production. Only 6 d-men hit the 60 point mark last season, 7 if you round up Barrie's 59. To expect that from a rookie d-man is a bit over the top, Dahlin had 44 as a rookie. If he gives us 30-40 that's massive considering Stecher was our second leading scorer on defense with 23.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

That's a little too optimistic.

60pts as a rookie dman is unheard of...

If Hughes can have around a 40pt season for this team we make the playoffs for sure.  40 pts as a rookie dman would be unreal.  

60 pts is just unrealistic.

Unreal players do unreal things.  Quinn Hughes is an unreal player.  60 plus points and the Calder.  

• Cheers 1

I said Hughes, because the Canucks haven't had a player like him, in forever, if ever?

I'm also liking Miller, and think he will provide a lot of energy and speed. It shouild be very exciting hockey. In one wave, the Canucks deploy big bad Ferminator with the Alien and the Flow. Then after they spin some heads, the "MPH Line" Miller, Pearson and Horvat, will bull doze and overwhelm the opponent. Goals will be scored. :) Looks great in my head anyway.

It's great to have so many guys who could be that impact player this season.  I'm leaning towards Hughes, and for sure he's the answer long term.  Myers could be the guy but I'm expecting a solid but not amazing performance from the big guy.  Miller could be a guy who puts up some big numbers depending on chemistry with his line mates.  I expect Ferland's impact to be more stuff that doesn't always show up on the score board, but it will be great to have another guy who can play Roussel's role, and maybe even do it better.  Combined, the new additions should make for a team that can make the playoffs and make some noise once they are in.  I like what Benning has done so far this off season.

13 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Simple question. Which of the new players entering the fold next season will have the biggest impact on the team? I'll add Hughes to the poll as well, as he only played 5 games last year. Also, I won't add any of the depth guys like Fantenberg for obvious reasons.

What about OJ?