The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Milan Lucic + Kris Russell for James Neal + Michael Frolik [CGY-EDM]

1 minute ago, Silver Ghost said:

Same. I really think the Oilers are cleaning up though. I would not bet against a big rdbound year for Neal, especially with the Oilers.

but the diving will be epic, and we'll have to endure both him and McDavid complaining to the refs.

The problem for EDM is Russel is their #4D and rh.... I don't understand how they lose that and not suck even more, even with Neal bouncing back. I don't give Neal a big chance, he had some pretty good line mates in Cowgary and couldnt get it done with little Jonny and Monahan. Not sure how he keeps up with McD. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

but the diving will be epic, and we'll have to endure both him and McDavid complaining to the refs.

The problem for EDM is Russel is their #4D and rh.... I don't understand how they lose that and not suck even more, even with Neal bouncing back. I don't give Neal a big chance, he had some pretty good line mates in Cowgary and couldnt get it done with little Jonny and Monahan. Not sure how he keeps up with McD. 

Edmonton was all in on the offense only rebuild model before it was made out to be brilliant once Kyle Dumbas did it in Toronto.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

The one thing that is alarming in Edmonton is how could Puljujarvi not crack this line up last season? I'm not sold on him as others are. He may just be in a bad situation, but when you let an opportunity slip by to play with one of the best players in the world...I dunno. Blame on both sides player and team development i'm sure. But wow, another top tier prospect flames out with the oilers. I hope he does well wherever he goes but you have to wonder if the Oilers have Yakupoved him...:sadno:

I like Puljujaarvi - but if you sign him, he's waiver eligible.  I think they'd have to send another forward at least (Goldobin) Edmonton's way and they'd still stand to lose a pretty damn good player on waivers if they didn't move anyone else.

I'd probably prefer to hardball them on cap retention and take Tyler Benson instead - who gives you more flexibility, and comes at a position where you have less prospect depth.  Also - I like Benson, I think he'd be a good fit.

I just remember EP knocking Neal over with a solid hit. Sorry, EP:s not really a hitter (yet) although he does have kind of a mean streak, but it somehow shows that Neal doesn't really have the fire anymore.

Frolik is still a good player in the right role - so I don't see why the flames would ever consider this.

Though - if this deal would happen and OIlers retain some of Lucic's salary both teams make a really bad deal. i could live with that.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I like Puljujaarvi - but if you sign him, he's waiver eligible.  I think they'd have to send another forward at least (Goldobin) Edmonton's way and they'd still stand to lose a pretty damn good player on waivers if they didn't move anyone else.

I'd probably prefer to hardball them on cap retention and take Tyler Benson instead - who gives you more flexibility, and comes at a position where you have less prospect depth.  Also - I like Benson, I think he'd be a good fit.

That's an interesting take. I don't know Benson and have never seen him play, but judging by the stats it's curious that he hasn't got a taste with the big league yet. Any thoughts on why that is?

IMO, taking a flyer on a highly regarded prospect like pool if you can buy low is always a good thing. I wouldn't mind seeing him on our 3rd or 4th line to start with and giving him a chance to work his way up. If he can't do it, so be it. I wouldn't care too much about waivers, if he puts it together great, if not he can play in the minors or be claimed.

11 minutes ago, J-P said:

That's an interesting take. I don't know Benson and have never seen him play, but judging by the stats it's curious that he hasn't got a taste with the big league yet. Any thoughts on why that is?

IMO, taking a flyer on a highly regarded prospect like pool if you can buy low is always a good thing. I wouldn't mind seeing him on our 3rd or 4th line to start with and giving him a chance to work his way up. If he can't do it, so be it. I wouldn't care too much about waivers, if he puts it together great, if not he can play in the minors or be claimed.

Benson is a potentially complete player - he's strong, aggressive, hard working, highly skilled, good vision, he can fire the puck, strong on his skates, wins his battles - leadership material. 

Saw him in his time in the WHL and it looks like he somewhat predictably has translated that at the next level.

I was surprised he did not go higher in the draft - and have wanted to poach this guy from Edmonton since. 

They're probably going to hold tight - particularly with Puljujarvi inching out of town, but if you have the leverage over Edmonton, that's how I would use it.

I also like the circumstances - where he's waiver eligible and can give you a great Utica addition, while the team has added those veteran wingers.

I also really like Puljujarvi still, but taking him could come at the additional cost of having to waive one of our bottom six forwards, none of whom I'd be interested in losing (not talking Schaller here, but the guys I have pencilled into the lineup = Leivo, Motte in particular might be on the edge of a good, deep lineup - losing one of them would certainly moderate against any return.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Trade Lucic already. Anywhere but here. 

I’m sure fans of every other NHL franchise is saying the same thing :lol:

Wild fan: Anywhere but here.

Islanders fan: Anywhere but here.

LA fan: Anywhere but here.

That’s Edmonton’s problem, every other franchise is probably saying, “Anywhere but here.”

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rekker said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this rumour but I cant. Seems more like both teams throwing the other teams crap against the wall and seeing what sticks. On a side note it was rumored Neal turned done a Vegas offer last year that was shorter term than Calgarys offer. Bet he would like a do over on that, especially if he ends up in Edmonton. 

Bet Calgary wants a do over.

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah this would make no sense for Calgary... unless they're really afraid of facing Ferland 5X unprotected :lol:

Expensive trash for trash trade.

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Lmfao... it's pretty sad that the two divisional rivals who haven't improved whatsoever are trading with each other.

Calgary was 1st in the west.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Bet Calgary wants a do over.

Expensive trash for trash trade.

Calgary was 1st in the west.

Yes I know, but you try to stand pat if you're a Stanley Cup winner. Were they the Stanley Cup winner? The only major change CAL made this summer was swapping goalies. FYI, this is all that they did this summer, so yeah... it's not good. COL/Vancouver both have massively improved their rosters. Standing pat is a mistake - and we'll see how they'll fare next year.

Let's not even get into what EDM did. LOL.

July 1, 2019 Flames sign Byron Froese
July 1, 2019 Flames sign Brandon Davidson
July 1, 2019 Flames sign Cam Talbot
June 13, 2019 Flames sign Eetu Tuulola
May 10, 2019 Flames sign Alexander Yelesin
May 7, 2019 Flames sign Carl-Johan Lerby
April 20, 2019 Flames sign Martin Pospisil
April 17, 2019 Flames recall 10 players from Stockton
April 9, 2019 Flames sign Artyom Zagidulin
April 9, 2019 Flames recall Jon Gillies from Stockton
April 3, 2019 Flames recall Dillon Dube from Stockton
April 1, 2019 Flames recall Juuso Valimaki from Stockton
March 21, 2019 Flames assign Curtis Lazar to Stockton

Edited by Dazzle

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He'd still have to compete with Mike Smith for the title of biggest diver on the Soilers.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

With a mug like his, he doesn’t look great in anything but the dark.

He'd look great in the hospital.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

Ok so let me see if I have this right

Calgary trades about 11 million in cap and takes back just under 10.2 million gaining 800k in the trade

Edmonton ends up taking 800k more in this trade

Makes no sense at all - for either team lol.