The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ryan Spooner signs with Lugano (Switzerland)

22 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Wasn't it the Rangers who gave him that ridonculous  $4, 000, 000.00/yr contract? 

Basically another 'ufa cautionary' tale for GM's at this point. 

Yeah remember why we traded for him.....acquired him to get rid of a garbage UFA signing by Benning named Sam Gagner.  

He honestly showed some glimpses well here. I thought with a full training camp he might be able to turn it around. I'm surprised he didn't wait until later in the summer for a last minute HL offer.

Good on him tho to take control of his situation. His new team name is somewhat ironic to our whole cap situation this off season lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gäz said:

Yup. Fun fact: That contract buy-out basically screwed the Panthers out of signing Panarin. The Rangers had retained $900k in the trade to the Oilers, and when it was bought out the hit was reduced to $300k, allowing the Rags to up their offer. Province article on it here.

So we got them back a bit for the Luongo recapture. :lol:

This makes feel so much better about the Luongo situation!

Just now, theo5789 said:

I believe Switzerland is one of the best places in the world to live. Not sure if he's single, but lots of beautiful women (and men) there. It's not a terrible league either. I think I'd prefer it over KHL (and considering he just got a nice buyout from his contract, so not like he's desperate for the money.

Solid point.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Wasn't it the Rangers who gave him that ridonculous  $4, 000, 000.00/yr contract? 

Basically another 'ufa cautionary' tale for GM's at this point. 

Yeah but we were the end of the road so I'm sure there will be a TSN story on how we screwed him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gäz said:

Yup. Fun fact: That contract buy-out basically screwed the Panthers out of signing Panarin. The Rangers had retained $900k in the trade to the Oilers, and when it was bought out the hit was reduced to $300k, allowing the Rags to up their offer. Province article on it here.

So we got them back a bit for the Luongo recapture. :lol:

That is a nice consolation prize... 

But then again, the 2 flordia panthers die hard fans probably haven't been affected by it. 

Florida is a trash franchise. From their management, down to the players. 

6 hours ago, apollo said:

Florida is a trash franchise. From their management, down to the players. 

Shows you just how meaningless a .500 record is today (with the 'loser point').  Panthers have been a .500 or better team in 4 out of the previous 5 NHL seasons.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan