The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

Now that we have others with physicality on the team, he won't be relied upon to have that physical presence or set the tone, so hopefully that'll also reduce the likelihood of further injury.  Everyone can just play their game without obligation to be an enforcer or otherwise, like it was when Dorsett, Prust, and Gudbranson were basically on their own here.

5 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

L.F.G!

Wow this brought back some of my initial hatred for Ferland.

He's changed though. He's not an asshole that he was against us that series. I guess that's good. 

Ferland was the nastiest piece of garbage in that series.

17 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Wow this brought back some of my initial hatred for Ferland.

He's changed though. He's not an asshole that he was against us that series. I guess that's good. 

Ferland was the nastiest piece of garbage in that series.

Yeah, I honestly hated his guts and was thrilled when Bieksa decided to fill his face in with fists. Thankfully, he hasn't been such a dirtbag since then and I've gotten over that series.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

that was a painful video to watch. reminded me of how bad the coaching of Desjardins was. 

Even worse was seeing the 2014-2015 Sbisa. Dominated would be an understatement for Sbisa in that series. And that turnover when we were up 4-0 to let Ferland score.. disastrous.

That series felt more than just 4 years ago. 

At that time I think Ferland was on his last legs as far as getting an NHL spot/maintaining an NHL spot. So it makes sense that since then he has calmed down as his scoring game picked up and his place in the NHL became less pest oriented. And of course with age comes maturity. 

This guy has the potential to be a fan favourite if he maintains his level and style of play. He was once one of the most hated players among Canucks fans and he is now likely going to be one of the most liked players among Canucks fans. Let's Go!

• Upvote 3

Micheal Ferland has never scored more than 21g and 40p.  He has played with very good offensive players while scoring those points.  Don't get me wrong as I love this signing but I don't think he will produce much more than that as a 27 year old.  I just hope that when he can't keep up a fevered pace all year over 84 games we don't come on here saying he is a bust of a signing.  He will have times where he will disappear and go through scoring droughts as he did in Calgary and Carolina.  Hopefully we will support him through those times as well.

Edited by dpn1

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, I honestly hated his guts and was thrilled when Bieksa decided to fill his face in with fists. Thankfully, he hasn't been such a dirtbag since then and I've gotten over that series.

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

that was a painful video to watch. reminded me of how bad the coaching of Desjardins was. 

Of course I cringed every time I saw Ferland knocking our guys over but the thing is that I don't hate Ferland for doing it then or now, he was just doing his job. I hate the NHL for not applying the rules fairly (he was clearly getting away with boarding time and again).  Even though the NHL never admits it, it is pretty clear to anyone who watches the game that it is refereed quite differently in the playoffs (and that affects many things).  I really like the fact that Benning is injecting some backbone into the line-up but it still comes down to how the referees make the calls.  If we ice a small skilled team the refs swallow their whistles and we get pushed around physically, if we ice a big physical team and stick up for ourselves we get all the penalties, or so it seems sometimes.  I have to admit that I'm not 100% unbiased but it sure seems as if we get screwed either way; but having said that I'd much prefer sticking up for ourselves and getting penalized for it than watching our team get steamrolled all the time and continually hoping that the refs make a call that never comes.  Go Canucks Go!

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Micheal Ferland has never scored more than 21g and 40p.  He has played with very good offensive players while scoring those points.  Don't get me wrong as I love this signing but I don't think he will produce much more than that as a 27 year old.  I just hope that when he can't keep up a fevered pace all year over 84 games we don't come on here saying he is a bust of a signing.  He will have times where he will disappear and go through scoring droughts as he did in Calgary and Carolina.  Hopefully we will support him through those times as well.

Thing is, when people "disappear" it means they're not having an impact...even if he's not putting points up, if he's bring physicality to the game then I'll be happy.  I don't mean he has to drop the gloves, but laying out heavy hits on the boards, causing some chaos in front of the net, etc.  

Production in points is the bonus for me.  We needed a bit of brawn to compliment the skill/speed and I like that he plays with an edge.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Of course I cringed every time I saw Ferland knocking our guys over but the thing is that I don't hate Ferland for doing it then or now, he was just doing his job. I hate the NHL for not applying the rules fairly (he was clearly getting away with boarding time and again).  Even though the NHL never admits it, it is pretty clear to anyone who watches the game that it is refereed quite differently in the playoffs (and that affects many things).  I really like the fact that Benning is injecting some backbone into the line-up but it still comes down to how the referees make the calls.  If we ice a small skilled team the refs swallow their whistles and we get pushed around physically, if we ice a big physical team and stick up for ourselves we get all the penalties, or so it seems sometimes.  I have to admit that I'm not 100% unbiased but it sure seems as if we get screwed either way; but having said that I'd much prefer sticking up for ourselves and getting penalized for it than watching our team get steamrolled all the time and continually hoping that the refs make a call that never comes.  Go Canucks Go!

Yes, I remember the California road trip when the Canucks decided to stand up to the bullying they had been subject to from those teams. And the refs made it clear that the Canucks were not allowed to play like the California teams, by putting us at 3 on 5 for about half the road trip. Still, better to let the other teams know that they can't bully us, even if the refs do it for them.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, when people "disappear" it means they're not having an impact...even if he's not putting points up, if he's bring physicality to the game then I'll be happy.  I don't mean he has to drop the gloves, but laying out heavy hits on the boards, causing some chaos in front of the net, etc.  

Production in points is the bonus for me.  We needed a bit of brawn to compliment the skill/speed and I like that he plays with an edge.

I watched a lot of Ferland in Calgary and he had those nights when he didn't do all the other stuff (not Jake's Stuff) aside from scoring.  So really do mean disappear.  These guys just can't keep up that kind of physical game for an entire season.  I just want to have realistic expectations for him.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I watched a lot of Ferland in Calgary and he had those nights when he didn't do all the other stuff (not Jake's Stuff) aside from scoring.  So really do mean disappear.  These guys just can't keep up that kind of physical game for an entire season.  I just want to have realistic expectations for him.

I feel like he's matured a lot and, with that, can come an appreciation for the game/league.  He was a bit of a trainwreck but seems fully focused and ready to go.

I won't spin him negatively prematurely.  Right now, I'm too stoked about him playing here and adopting a "wait and see" approach.  Half full glass here.

Sort of the same deal as Kass .. where they were getting in their own way before they hit bottom and started trending upward.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I feel like he's matured a lot and, with that, can come an appreciation for the game/league.  He was a bit of a trainwreck but seems fully focused and ready to go.

I won't spin him negatively prematurely.  Right now, I'm too stoked about him playing here and adopting a "wait and see" approach.  Half full glass here.

Sort of the same deal as Kass .. where they were getting in their own way before they hit bottom.

Big props to him for straightening out his life.  It takes a lot of guts to do what he did and come out better for it.  Also, I am all in on Ferland but am tempering my expectations. :)

• Upvote 1