The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

4 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Big props to him for straightening out his life.  It takes a lot of guts to do what he did and come out better for it.  Also, I am all in on Ferland but am tempering my expectations. :)

A wise idea.  We/I tend to get super excited with changes that are made and set super high expectations at times as the what if's creep in.  What I'm learning in life is that it can set things up for disappointment so, while optimism is fine, anything is possible.  Don't plan the parade yet/again.  :)  In full agreement!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

What I'm excited to see is Pettersson and Boeser being able to play their game, knowing Ferland is with them. Ferland might not rack up the points, but I think Pettersson and Boeser could with him as a linemate.  

Exactly!   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

A wise idea.  We/I tend to get super excited with changes that are made and set super high expectations at times as the what if's creep in.  What I'm learning in life is that it can set things up for disappointment so, while optimism is fine, anything is possible.  Don't plan the parade yet/again.  :)  In full agreement!

I agree, it is too early to plan the parade just yet. But with all the recent additions to the team, we could at least start discussing possibly suitable routes, right?

• Cheers 2

I'm not sure it's sunken in yet for me that we got Ferland. The last couple of years he was one of those players that I wished the Canucks could get, but I was never confident we would, because he was a desired top player. That CGY series a few years ago was telling, and Ferland was a beast. Smallish, purely skilled teams don't win Cups. Benning mentioned his admiration with STL's size and grit and wanted to model after them. The fact that he got Ferland and Myers is impressive to me. I think the Canucks are going to be a nasty piece of business this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd be happy to see Ferland focus on the rekindling some of that offensive touch that he had with Monahan and Johnny Hockey in Calgary. 

We know, along with every player in the league, that the physical game is there and can be deterrent enough to keep opponents in check.

Of course when the playoffs come, let the dogs out!

7 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

can we use Ferland next time we play Panthers? ...i still think matheson needs to be taught a lesson.

I'm thinking that Ferland will do his best to play all 82 games. I can see Matheson continue to skate away from trouble like the champ he is.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm thinking that Ferland will do his best to play all 82 games. I can see Matheson continue to skate away from trouble like the champ he is.

Agreed. Matheson is just a punk and he and his family should be embarrassed about his cowardice and how he skated away from Guddy when confronted about body slamming a teenager. Real tough guy matheson smashing a teenage into the ice.  But when a man confronts you about it you cower like a little &^%$#.

Someone needs to kick matheson's teeth in. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

Agreed. Matheson is just a punk and he and his family should be embarrassed about his cowardice and how he skated away from Guddy when confronted about body slamming a teenager. Real tough guy matheson smashing a teenage into the ice.  But when a man confronts you about it you cower like a little &^%$#.

He skated away from Guddy, Virtanen, Horvat, and Roussel. Just a total coward.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

Guddy is one thing but he declined challenges from Bo and Rousell as well. I think he will have a rough time whenever he plays the Canucks for a long time, only problem being that he's a borderline NHL:er...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Matheson is, last time I checked, the Panther's players association representative.

Hopefully he has learned to reassess his demeanor on the ice, especially when it comes to the young and highly skilled players in this league.

I love tough hockey but can't believe we tolerated the menace that was Scott Stevens, Chris Pronger and Darian Hatcher to name a few. Can you imagine what these guys would have done to Petterson if they caught him in the corner watching a pass?  

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I really dont have high expectations on this guy. The playstyle is pretty risky for injuries but is also needed up front. Im hoping he will be a puckwinner and force up front but i dont have the same expectations on him to produce like i do with miller. 

25 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

I really dont have high expectations on this guy. The playstyle is pretty risky for injuries but is also needed up front. Im hoping he will be a puckwinner and force up front but i dont have the same expectations on him to produce like i do with miller. 

No, he is not the same kind of player as Miller.  I will be happy seeing him fighting for the puck and getting it over to Pete/Brock and opening up ++ of ice for his linemates.  If the opposition starts bullying Pete, he flattens one of their rookies.  If he gets 40pts doing those things, then all the better.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

17 hours ago, higgyfan said:

No, he is not the same kind of player as Miller.  I will be happy seeing him fighting for the puck and getting it over to Pete/Brock and opening up ++ of ice for his linemates.  If the opposition starts bullying Pete, he flattens one of their rookies.  If he gets 40pts doing those things, then all the better.

I too get the feeling that many fans are assuming he's going to put up 20 goals and 45 points, but I see him as more likely a 2nd/3rd line guy with 35 or 40 points. I think Ferland probably hit his peak last year and he will now be striving to remain a middle six forward for the foreseeable next few years. Miller is much more likely to put up higher point totals closer to 50-60 points.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I too get the feeling that many fans are assuming he's going to put up 20 goals and 45 points, but I see him as more likely a 2nd/3rd line guys with 35 or 40 points. I think Ferland probably hit his peak last year and he will now be striving to remain a middle six forward for the foreseeable next few years. Miller is much more likely to put up higher point totals closer to 50-60 points.

im thinking somewhere around 40 points if he gets most of his icetime on one of the 2 top lines. atm i would say its Miller-pete-boeser and Baer-Bo-Ferland/Pearson/Leivo/Goldobin. Whats good about it is that there are options up front thanks to Ferland and Miller being on the roster and thats a huge difference compared to last year. I wouldnt be surprised if VIrtanen gets a breakthrough and gets a spot on the 2nd line either. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/19/2019 at 12:49 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Wow!!!!! Relax man......Or get some help.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2