The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

idk, if another player (players) can step up and perform to expectation, then playing Ferland on the third line would make this team a very deep team...however, Ferland and Miller will be interchangeable on the 1st and 2nd lines, which will bode well for the Canucks, regardless...

Ferland playing with Virtanen may help JV play a more physical game...because Ferland will have Jake's back.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I would love to see a line of Ferland - Horvat - Virtanen.  I see Jake at 20g this season and Ferland around his numbers from last yeas with 17g.  Could be a real power line.:)

I think Green will have a lot of good options for his top three lines now.  Ferland is actually a good finisher.  I could see him fitting with Petey better.  Miller is a playmaker, so I could see him working well with Bo.  I like Jake in our top six though.  Jake is a very responsible player now, who deserves the opportunity to play with better players. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think Green will have a lot of good options for his top three lines now.  

He certainly has a lot more than he did last year.

I am leaning towards TG having Miller on Peteys line more often than not for a couple of reasons. 1) Miller is both decent in the face off circle and 2) He is a very good puck distributor. Ferland; IMO might be moved to the first line for use against some of the more physical / nastier teams as a deterrent to those thinking on taking liberties on our star players. Ferland would slot in nicely with Bo and either Baer or Pearson on the 2nd line. I just don't see Jake as a top six just yet but not to say he couldn't be at some point in the season. A lot depends on his continued progression as a player and how well he shows in the preseason. As you mentioned... there are now a lot more options; especially if one or more players are down due to injury. IMO this team has improved by leaps and bounds compared to what was available on the roster last season

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Green will have a lot of good options for his top three lines now.  Ferland is actually a good finisher.  I could see him fitting with Petey better.  Miller is a playmaker, so I could see him working well with Bo.  I like Jake in our top six though.  Jake is a very responsible player now, who deserves the opportunity to play with better players. 

I'd like to see him played on the wing on which he had all success in the WHL too.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

Nice to see you back, you seemed to disappear for a few days (missed your posts).  You might be right on Miller and Ferland.  I am hoping that Jake can establish himself as being on par with the two aforementioned  

i think it will be most interested to see if green loads up the top 2 lines or balances out 3 scoring lines. 

we know that beagle and motte will be on the 4th line. will louie be there on it too. if not louie, than who?

last year pearson showed chemistry with bo. 

petey isn’t too good on face off’s so having miller on his wing, could take some face offs if petey struggles. 

or does petey and brock need ferland type of toughness. ?

how do you divvy up goalscoring, playmaking and toughness on each of the 3 lines. 

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i think it will be most interested to see if green loads up the top 2 lines or balances out 3 scoring lines. 

we know that beagle and motte will be on the 4th line. will louie be there on it too. if not louie, than who?

last year pearson showed chemistry with bo. 

petey isn’t too good on face off’s so having miller on his wing, could take some face offs if petey struggles. 

or does petey and brock need ferland type of toughness. ?

how do you divvy up goalscoring, playmaking and toughness on each of the 3 lines. 

I am also interested in this.  I assume he will juggle the lines for the first month to see what chemistry develops.

I agree I like having Miller on Petey's wing as a face-off backup, are they both lefties ? 

Miller-Pete-Brock

Pearson-Bo-Ferland

Jake-Sutter-Gaudette

Leivo-Beagle-Motte (Rousell)

I don't see a lot of room for Loui - he has his work cut out for him with some serious competition 

• Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:44 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The nice thing about Ferland is that he's a guy that can still have value even when he's not producing. Obviously we all hope he can produce consistently for the entire season, but even if the offense does dry up at some point, his physical play will still be useful to us. As long as he can stay healthy, he'll have value to us no matter what. That's what I really like about this signing.

And deterrence... Boeser and EP40 are sleeping better already.  Horvat has a bit more room, Hughes is safer chasing down pucks in the corner. And Virtanen has a bit of a mentor.  On the other hand, Eriksson is done and a couple of in-betweeners will see more of Utica. He and Miller have changed the Canucks for 5 years at least: first time we have seen a genuine addition to both scoring depth and toughness in the top 6. 

2 minutes ago, gameburn said:

And deterrence... Boeser and EP40 are sleeping better already.  Horvat has a bit more room, Hughes is safer chasing down pucks in the corner. And Virtanen has a bit of a mentor.  On the other hand, Eriksson is done and a couple of in-betweeners will see more of Utica. He and Miller have changed the Canucks for 5 years at least: first time we have seen a genuine addition to both scoring depth and toughness in the top 6. 

I don't know if its the first time, I remember the trade bringing in Ronning, Courtnall and Momesso then adding Jeff Brown to the defense. That added scoring depth, toughness and defense and took us to the Stanely cup

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

I am also interested in this.  I assume he will juggle the lines for the first month to see what chemistry develops.

I agree I like having Miller on Petey's wing as a face-off backup, are they both lefties ? 

Miller-Pete-Brock

Pearson-Bo-Ferland

Jake-Sutter-Gaudette

I don't see a lot of room for Loui - he has his work cut out for him with some serious competition 

smyl said that gaudette may need to start season in utica.  that opens a spot for baertschi, goldobin or eriksson, at least till roussel comes back. to make 3 scoring lines they may have to move miller to 3rd line centre with baertschi, leivo or virtanen. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

I don't know if its the first time, I remember the trade bringing in Ronning, Courtnall and Momesso then adding Jeff Brown to the defense. That added scoring depth, toughness and defense and took us to the Stanely cup

You're right: huge trade.  I was only thinking back 5 or 6 years, maybe 7.  But it's a huge change nonetheless.  Even if it were just Hughes playing a full year and Ferland, it would still be a huge change.  Add in Myers, Benn, and Miller and it is really an entirely new team.

• Upvote 1

On 7/19/2019 at 12:49 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Agreed. Matheson is just a punk and he and his family should be embarrassed about his cowardice and how he skated away from Guddy when confronted about body slamming a teenager. Real tough guy matheson smashing a teenage into the ice.  But when a man confronts you about it you cower like a little &^%$#.

Someone needs to kick matheson's teeth in. 

Keyboard warrior much?

It's fans like you that think it's okay for him to receive death threats of him as well as people that hold dearest to him, as well as other types of harassment. At the end of the day, things happen, he's gotten his punishment, absolutely more than what hes bargained for. His freaking dog received hateful and disgusting comments,  and people like you went as far as to send death threats to his dog.

Very immature post. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Keyboard warrior much?

It's fans like you that think it's okay for him to receive death threats of him as well as people that hold dearest to him, as well as other types of harassment. At the end of the day, things happen, he's gotten his punishment, absolutely more than what hes bargained for. His freaking dog received hateful and disgusting comments,  and people like you went as far as to send death threats to his dog.

Very immature post. 

You’re right. That was one of the most disgusting posts I’ve ever read.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Keyboard warrior much?

Very immature post. 

Cry more....odd.

matheson is a punk and a pathetic barely nhler.  He needs his teeth kicked in. The fact you are not tough enough to even think it needs to be done is embarrassing.

• Wat 2

18 hours ago, Chicken. said:

agree I like having Miller on Petey's wing as a face-off backup, are they both lefties ? 

Miller-Pete-Brock

Pearson-Bo-Ferland

Jake-Sutter-Gaudette

I like the makeup of the top two lines and the 4th line but would have Baertschi - Sutter - Virtanen as the 3rd line and have Gaudette start the season in Utica where he can get lots of minutes and more likely used in a lot more situations than he would get at present on the big club. I think that would be the best thing for his development in the long term.

Roussel will go on LTIR for the start of the season and that will buy JB some time to make a decision on who gets moved / waived to make room for him on the roster when he returns. Hard to tell what might happen between now and the start of the season but my betting is on both Loui and Schaller being waived if nothing changes in between.

The other option I think we could see would have Baer on the 2nd and Pearson on the 3rd. I noted your use of Jake on LW and am not a fan of that but it certainly is a possibility as TG likes his forwards to be able to play all three positions if possible.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I like the makeup of the top two lines and the 4th line but would have Baertschi - Sutter - Virtanen as the 3rd line and have Gaudette start the season in Utica where he can get lots of minutes and more likely used in a lot more situations than he would get at present on the big club. I think that would be the best thing for his development in the long term.

Roussel will go on LTIR for the start of the season and that will buy JB some time to make a decision on who gets moved / waived to make room for him on the roster when he returns. Hard to tell what might happen between now and the start of the season but my betting is on both Loui and Schaller being waived if nothing changes in between.

The other option I think we could see would have Baer on the 2nd and Pearson on the 3rd. I noted your use of Jake on LW and am not a fan of that but it certainly is a possibility as TG likes his forwards to be able to play all three positions if possible.

Ya I agree about Gaudette, get him some extra minutes and situational exposure. If we end up trading Sutter or something then he'll be able to come up, and inevitable injuries

Forgot about Bearcheese :)  Between him and Goldy and Loui and Leivo it seems for that last 2 spots