The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

29 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Jesus. He has had ONE preseason game since coming back. How about we give Ferland a chance?

Where did this come from?

There has only been 1 post in here since the game last night.  

and Ferland was pretty Meh.  

Taking Jake out at the end of a breakthrough season for someone who hasn’t played all year is a stupid idea. 

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Where did this come from?

There has only been 1 post in here since the game last night.  

and Ferland was pretty Meh.  

Taking Jake out at the end of a breakthrough season for someone who hasn’t played all year is a stupid idea. 

Was responding to Hectic.

Ferland WAS pretty meh. Most of the team was though. No excuses - they all have to be better if we are going to even win the play-in series. Ferland will need to do what he was hired for. I am ok if he took an exhibition game off.

Stupid to sit Jake for Ferland? I don't agree. Camp is a time to show what you did to maintain yourself over the break, to show what you can do, and to battle at camp for your spot. Some players like Petey or Hughes will be gifted spots of course, but spots are up for grabs and Green doesn't feel like Jake was the best option. Others had a far better camp and I imagine came in better shape. That includes Ferland.

So leading to critical play-in games, why would Green put in Virtanen, who has so far shown to be a non-factor since hockey returned? To me, THAT would be stupid. He said straight up that he put the players on the ice that he felt gave us the best chance to win. And you know, I'm almost inclined to think Green might have a greater insight into how his players are likely to perform over you and I.

At the same time, Virtanen is fully aware of what he accomplished before play stopped and what a critical time this is for the team to score. Yet - sitting up there by himself, you gotta wonder if that irony (and also Green's last attempt to get through to him) is going to resonate, or if he is crying inside about how he should have been gifted a spot.

...at least he seems to have some fans in agreement.

30 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Was responding to Hectic.

Ferland WAS pretty meh. Most of the team was though. No excuses - they all have to be better if we are going to even win the play-in series. Ferland will need to do what he was hired for. I am ok if he took an exhibition game off.

Stupid to sit Jake for Ferland? I don't agree. Camp is a time to show what you did to maintain yourself over the break, to show what you can do, and to battle at camp for your spot. Some players like Petey or Hughes will be gifted spots of course, but spots are up for grabs and Green doesn't feel like Jake was the best option. Others had a far better camp and I imagine came in better shape. That includes Ferland.

So leading to critical play-in games, why would Green put in Virtanen, who has so far shown to be a non-factor since hockey returned? To me, THAT would be stupid. He said straight up that he put the players on the ice that he felt gave us the best chance to win. And you know, I'm almost inclined to think Green might have a greater insight into how his players are likely to perform over you and I.

At the same time, Virtanen is fully aware of what he accomplished before play stopped and what a critical time this is for the team to score. Yet - sitting up there by himself, you gotta wonder if that irony (and also Green's last attempt to get through to him) is going to resonate, or if he is crying inside about how he should have been gifted a spot.

...at least he seems to have some fans in agreement.

Really hope that bolded part isn't the way Jake's thinking. If he is, well, might be time to cross that bridge where you deal the kid for some assets, because a young man that thinks that way is a man that feels entitled. We don't need entitled players and people on the team. Everyone's got to earn their keep, and that includes the former 6th overall pick, who had 36 points (close to 40, but he didn't get there). 

If Virtanen puts on his boot straps and gets to work before Sunday's playoff game, then yes, he'll have earned himself a spot. But he's got to know that the other players on the team battling for the same spot isn't just going to roll over for him. 

9 hours ago, bree2 said:

actually Ferland played well!!

Even on posts I make that have great response, you always give me the confused reaction.   
why so confused?   Having a hard time understanding the game?   

Anyway.    No he didn’t.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Even on posts I make that have great response, you always give me the confused reaction.   

Anyway.    No he didn’t.   

you ever think maybe you could win the day if only they gave points for wonkie face?

its like some people take pride in being confused

Edited by lmm
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Really hope that bolded part isn't the way Jake's thinking.

I truly believe it is. How else does one explain him coming to camp out of shape, or having a brutal training camp and losing his spot on the opening roster despite his obvious skill? How about his slow development? Lack of defensive responsibility? How about his lack of distancing before camp or his other public gaffs? Some may account his lack of hockey IQ (or IQ in general perhaps) for some of this, but I think his lack of drive accounts for the majority of this.

Up to this point, he simply hasn't yet chosen to commit himself to his career. He probably will decide at one point to buckle down but the Canucks ship is about to sail off and I feel he has run out of time to get on board.

At least he hasn't been vocal about his likely displeasure to always being in the doghouse. If he had, I expect he would already be on a different team.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I truly believe it is. How else does one explain him coming to camp out of shape, or having a brutal training camp and losing his spot on the opening roster despite his obvious skill? How about his slow development? Lack of defensive responsibility? How about his lack of distancing before camp or his other public gaffs? Some may account his lack of hockey IQ (or IQ in general perhaps) for some of this, but I think his lack of drive accounts for the majority of this.

Up to this point, he simply hasn't yet chosen to commit himself to his career. He probably will decide at one point to buckle down but the Canucks ship is about to sail off and I feel he has run out of time to get on board.

At least he hasn't been vocal about his likely displeasure to always being in the doghouse. If he had, I expect he would already be on a different team.

there's nothing to back that up, at all. I think it's pretty clear that it's becoming a personality conflict. You don't sit a guy who was on pace for 23 goal, 43 point season who led the team in gwg going into a 5 game series

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

there's nothing to back that up, at all. I think it's pretty clear that it's becoming a personality conflict. You don't sit a guy who was on pace for 23 goal, 43 point season who led the team in gwg going into a 5 game series

There's nothing at all to back that up either :P

There's zero chance Green sat him simply because they're not best buds.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Anyway.    No he didn’t.   

i understand the game fine thank you,  i give you that confused reaction, because i don't agree with you! Ferland came to camp and had a great camp as per Green and the exhibition game, he played well, the third line of Rousell, Gaudette and Ferland were actually quite noticeable with Rouse scoring a goal. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, bree2 said:

i understand the game fine thank you,  i give you that confused reaction, because i don't agree with you! Ferland came to camp and had a great camp as per Green and the exhibition game, he played well, the third line of Rousell, Gaudette and Ferland were actually quite noticeable with Rouse scoring a goal. 

He was very Meh.  
Im not saying I expected anything other than that, but it really wasn’t anything close to special.    
Id easily put Virtanen in over him.  
Rous on the other hand, even knowing the game he COULD bring...... I’d rather have Ferland.  

Virt Gaud Ferly is what the 3rd line should be. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/31/2020 at 1:37 PM, aGENT said:

There's nothing at all to back that up either :P

There's zero chance Green sat him simply because they're not best buds.

I think Green is pushing Jakes button,.   Starting a fire,  and letting it “burn” for a game should have an immediate effect.

i would be surprised if Jake sits tonight.

... and I look forward to a  Ferland Gaudette Virtannen line.

• Like 1

Dhaliwal said it has nothing to do with blocking a shot.  He played 4 shifts and didn't hit anyone.  Didn't see him with any contact whatsoever.  Most likely the concussion symptoms returned.  Unfortunately it looks like he is done for the playoffs and perhaps done for his career.  Wish him well, he has a family to take care of so he should definitely consider hanging them up...