The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

55 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dhaliwal said it has nothing to do with blocking a shot.  He played 4 shifts and didn't hit anyone.  Didn't see him with any contact whatsoever.  Most likely the concussion symptoms returned.  Unfortunately it looks like he is done for the playoffs and perhaps done for his career.  Wish him well, he has a family to take care of so he should definitely consider hanging them up...

If it isn’t concussion related you know the team or his agent will say so.

If we don’t get details, we know it is the return of symptoms.

I have the same vestibular/visual tracking issues as he has from repeated concussions.  

This type of format without screaming crowds is as ideal a situation as he could ask for.  If he can’t do this low key type of game as far as stimulation goes, then he would be smart to just call it a career now.  

• Huggy Bear 2

31 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Man ferland should call it if it’s concussion related . More than enough money he has his whole life ahead of him .

Even if he’s forced to stop playing he won’t retire.  He’ll ride out the remainder of his contract on LTIR. 

Edited by qwijibo

TSN reports similar - left the bubble, done for this series at least, and is concussion-related. He kept pushing and has had to leave hockey three times this year - he needs to take at least a full year off, if not just call it quits now.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dhaliwal said it has nothing to do with blocking a shot.  He played 4 shifts and didn't hit anyone.  Didn't see him with any contact whatsoever.  Most likely the concussion symptoms returned.  Unfortunately it looks like he is done for the playoffs and perhaps done for his career.  Wish him well, he has a family to take care of so he should definitely consider hanging them up...

Edit..  didn’t see the SN link that just came up.

Edited by SilentSam

2 hours ago, Provost said:

If it isn’t concussion related you know the team or his agent will say so.

If we don’t get details, we know it is the return of symptoms.

I have the same vestibular/visual tracking issues as he has from repeated concussions.  

This type of format without screaming crowds is as ideal a situation as he could ask for.  If he can’t do this low key type of game as far as stimulation goes, then he would be smart to just call it a career now.  

He’s owed $9.5m over the next 3 years. He won’t retire until the contract expires.  Welcome to LTIR 

• Like 1

Left the bubble with concussion like symptoms. Done for Atleast the summer. 

what a bummer Really hoped he was on the mend for his sake. 
This is a guy that needs to think long and hard about the future and his quality of life.

I had vertigo for 1 full year headaches eyes not focusing dizzy spells. Life sucked  a bank full of money wouldn’t have made it suck less since I was unable to enjoy simple things like walking. 

Edited by Tracksuit
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Oh man. I really hope this isn’t true and that it was from blocking a shot. For the Canucks sake but more importantly for Ferland and his family. 

• Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The one bright spot of game 1. Shame he has had such rotten concussion luck. Would be nice if he just retired but that's alotta money to walk away from. 

Why would he even consider retiring? If his health forced him off the ice he can not play but collect $9.5m over the next 3 years. Or not play and collect his basic pension. (Which will not be $3+m a year.). Which option would you choose? 

Edited by qwijibo

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If he does call it quits aka LTIR it would free up 3.5M.

Gives us some cap space.

Yes and no.  It’s not as simple as freeing up $3.5m in cap space. They’d still need to work around it to be cap compliant with his cap hit on the books when the season starts.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tracksuit said:

I had vertigo for 1 full year headaches eyes not focusing dizzy spells. Life sucked  a bank full of money wouldn’t have made it suck less since I was unable to enjoy simple things like walking. 

If it's not too personal to ask...what caused your issues?  My son's going through the same and it's so worrying...he goes back to hospital for most tests at the end of August.

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

He’s owed $9.5m over the next 3 years. He won’t retire until the contract expires.  Welcome to LTIR 

They are allowed to retire on LTIR... same as Pronger and other players.  He gets paid his LTIR money, but is medically retired and not attempting a return to play.

You keep posting that retiring for medical reasons means he doesn’t collect the rest of his contract.  That just isn’t the case.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1