The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

1 hour ago, Millsy said:

Ferland will not report to camp according to puck empire. They are really good at breaking news so I don’t consider them rumours.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJd_aYoAYhy/?igshid=xxisxkzbfutu

bring on harmonic or vatanen 

Edit: also shows their source is Dhaliwal at the bottom

Ya Rick tweeted. His agent stated he is at home concentrating on his health and will not be reporting to camp.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Freeridebc said:

Ya Rick tweeted. His agent stated he is at home concentrating on his health and will not be reporting to camp.

I’m glad he is, and not from a cap perspective. He’s got to realize that his health after hockey matters more. He’s tried to come back 3-4 times all with the same result of another concussion or symptoms from very light contact. He should take this shortened season off. See how he feels next training camp and if it’s the same, retire. If I was him I would retire now (LTIR to keep his contract) but stop playing. He’s made millions, can have a nice life and be normal. If he comes back he’s really risking permanent issues if they haven’t already begun. I hope he comes to terms with the dangers and makes the smart decision for his family. Athletes are stubborn, they want to compete, but there’s a point where your health has to come first. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Millsy said:

I’m glad he is, and not from a cap perspective. He’s got to realize that his health after hockey matters more. He’s tried to come back 3-4 times all with the same result of another concussion or symptoms from very light contact. He should take this shortened season off. See how he feels next training camp and if it’s the same, retire. If I was him I would retire now (LTIR to keep his contract) but stop playing. He’s made millions, can have a nice life and be normal. If he comes back he’s really risking permanent issues if they haven’t already begun. I hope he comes to terms with the dangers and makes the smart decision for his family. Athletes are stubborn, they want to compete, but there’s a point where your health has to come first. 

Exactly. This could shape the rest of his life.

10 hours ago, Freeridebc said:

Here's the actual tweet if people are wondering, Rick quotes Ferland's agent

Edited by Crabcakes

Too bad about his ongoing issues

This contract is another example of just how bad this management team is.

Apart from failing to look at his recent injury record, that showed multiple concussions or "upper body injuries"

For decades repeated concusions have shown the next one is worse and 3 times easier to get, don't need to be a doctor to read this or listen to players that have had concussions.

How could they miss the fact that all insurance carriers refused to insure this contract for future concussions?

They were at least two red flags waving in their faces but I guess when your head is buried in the ground or in the clouds or your just plain living in their own reality.

I know many fans see him taking care of himself, which he should, is a break for the team's cap hit. great but the owner is still putting out this money and throwing away money like this should result in some kind of reaction.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Any news on Ferdaddy? This season is a write off of course but is there any chance of him returning healthy next season? He should probably hang em up but I'm curious if that is his intention?

No news. Based on that, one could probably assume that he's done though. I certainly hope not, and that he eventually heals 100%, but it's been a couple of seasons now, and he's not better. Probably best to hang them up though.

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No news. Based on that, one could probably assume that he's done though. I certainly hope not, and that he eventually heals 100%, but it's been a couple of seasons now, and he's not better. Probably best to hang them up though.

Completely forgot about Ferland. I wonder how different this team would have been with him in the line-up. Ferland was solid in his few games here.

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Completely forgot about Ferland. I wonder how different this team would have been with him in the line-up. Ferland was solid in his few games here.

Would probably make the team a much more physical one. Just thinking of a line with him and MacEwen on it....  Roussel would probably be a healthy scratch too.

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed probably for the best. I wonder if he could be brought in as a skills coach  at least get some mileage out of him while he is being paid.  Guys like Lind, Gadjo, Zac Mac, possibly Woo to some degree. Could benefit from his experience battling his way up from 5th round pick to 4th liner to 20 goal scorer.

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Agreed probably for the best. I wonder if he could be brought in as a skills coach  at least get some mileage out of him while he is being paid.  Guys like Lind, Gadjo, Zac Mac, possibly Woo to some degree. Could benefit from his experience battling his way up from 5th round pick to 4th liner to 20 goal scorer.

Who knows. I still hold out hope that he'll recover and return. Maybe it's a fool's hope, but hope none the less. 

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I have a question as to why Ferland, who has a NMC and is on LTIR does not have to be protected from the expansion draft (which is a good thing) and TB's Kucherov also has a NMC and is on LTIR does have to be protected?

I believe Ferland's becomes an NTC for the ED.

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2021 at 11:22 AM, hammertime said:

is that actually something that can be coached?

Ferland at his best hit everything in sight

it seem a bit like hoping Gretzky could teach Arizona to have eyes in the back of their heads

13 minutes ago, lmm said:

is that actually something that can be coached?

Ferland at his best hit everything in sight

it seem a bit like hoping Gretzky could teach Arizona to have eyes in the back of their heads

Couldn't hurt to try at least while he's on the payroll. I'm not sure if killer instinct can be coached but kid's can at least be prepared for battle should the situation present it's self.

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Couldn't hurt to try at least while he's on the payroll. I'm not sure if killer instinct can be coached but kid's can at least be prepared for battle should the situation present it's self.

I could kind of see it if he had a bad leg or arm

but teaching killer instinct with a concussion seem a little wrong to me

some of the worst interviews in the history of the game come from player with concussions

some good/great players like Sid, Savard and even our old friend Willie ame off as whiny/confused when interviewed while concussed

I don't see that translating well under the circumstances

imo

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, lmm said:

I could kind of see it if he had a bad leg or arm

but teaching killer instinct with a concussion seem a little wrong to me

some of the worst interviews in the history of the game come from player with concussions

some good/great players like Sid, Savard and even our old friend Willie ame off as whiny/confused when interviewed while concussed

I don't see that translating well under the circumstances

imo

Fair point.