The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, and that was unfortunate. Probably set him back quite a bit. I hope he does recover fully, of course, and if he decided he wants to play again, yes, it would obviously be his choice to make. If I was in his shoes, I’d probably call it quits. But I know how hard that can be when you’ve trained for this all of your life, and it’s something he was meant to do obviously. Hard to give that up. I hope he’s well, and it’s good that the media in this city hasn’t hounded him and his progress. I’m glad that he’s had some time away from all that and just get better (hopefully). 

Get the mind right and the body will follow.

He’ll score 60 for us next year to make up for the 2015 playoffs and the time he missed

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

What’s going on with Ferland? Is he recovering or is he done? 

5 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I haven’t hear a thing, so that could be good or bad. Might mean no bumps in the recovery. Finger crossed

Not much official news out, but following his social media, he has posted a few times this year. One post was of him in the Canucks uniform tagged "Missing the game".

The other few were with his daughter enjoying family time.

As reported in January, Ferland's struggle are with post concussion like symptoms having to deal with his vestibular system (which affects one's sense of balance, orientation, and sight). As Ben Kuzma quoted Ferland when he returned to play in the bubble "It felt like I was playing drunk". Article found below

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-notebook-more-bad-news-for-ferland-more-opportunity-for-virtanen 

I can't find the tweet but I remember seeing somewhere that he was getting vestibular system training with some concussion doctors - the same treatment Sidney Crosby got after his last major concussion. It took several months of simple recovery, and another few months of rehabbing and training which saw Crosby out for a whole year basically.

On top of all of that, before he even returns to play for that, I'd also be questioning where his mental health is at too. Before having him return to a stressful place of work, hope he is doing well not just physically in the head, but also mentally. The scrutiny and stress of being a professional athlete weights heavily and don't want him susceptible to anything else too.

I hope for his sake he is doing well, recovering fully. I selfishly want him back because this team sorely lacks his presence and the kind of raw skills he brings. But in the end seeing how much he enjoys his family especially being with his daughter, leads me to hope that he chooses to walk away and savor rest of his life with his growing family. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Good chance his contract isn't insured (rumors only yes as the Canucks have given a 'no couldn't on the question) given his past injury issues prior to signing with us (likely the reason why he wasn't that expensive a signing at the time).  Affects chances of trading a LITR contract (as some cheap teams acquire such deals to hit the cap floor with insurance picking up the tab for his salary)

If he takes a full year off and is doing the same treatments as Crosby then there is a chance he comes back.  Crosby came back with no side effects and has played for years afterwards.  Same with Willie Mitchell.  The Canucks thought he was done and he ended up playing 5 more years and won a Cup.  

Every player is different, so who knows for sure.  But the fact we haven't heard anything about Ferland in months tells me he is recovering and rehabbing like heck to come back I think.  Would love to see him on the team next year.  I'd play him with Petey and Brock and move Miller to 3C.  Trade for Mason Appleton and our top 9 would be complete with very little to give up in return.

• Like 1
On 6/11/2021 at 11:15 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

If he takes a full year off and is doing the same treatments as Crosby then there is a chance he comes back.  Crosby came back with no side effects and has played for years afterwards.  Same with Willie Mitchell.  The Canucks thought he was done and he ended up playing 5 more years and won a Cup.  

Every player is different, so who knows for sure.  But the fact we haven't heard anything about Ferland in months tells me he is recovering and rehabbing like heck to come back I think.  Would love to see him on the team next year.  I'd play him with Petey and Brock and move Miller to 3C.  Trade for Mason Appleton and our top 9 would be complete with very little to give up in return.

I'd love to see Ferland on a 2 way 3rd line with Podz (imagine dealing with those two on a line) but swapping him and Miller, as you suggest, could be interesting as well.

If Ferland makes a comeback, it would make this team that much better. He provides a grit element that this team obviously doesn’t have much of, and he’s physical as well, and can score. Here’s hoping he’s rehabbing well and recovering well from his concussion. 

• Like 2

Issue I see with Ferland returning is we are still a soft team and Ferland is probably the best stick up for your teammate player we have. If we don't add a little more of that Ferland may feel he needs to do it himself and end right back up on LTIR. Ferland when in the line up adds an element we sorely need, just have to think about the person here though, I would rather him see his family grow up while he is somewhat healthy than risk another concussion 

• Huggy Bear 1

Crosby's issue turned out to be more of a neck problem as I recall rather than an issue with repeated concussions.  I think Ferland's is pretty classic concussion related which isn't really treatable, it is just managing symptoms.

• Hydration 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 12:05 PM, aGENT said:

I'd love to see Ferland on a 2 way 3rd line with Podz (imagine dealing with those two on a line) but swapping him and Miller, as you suggest, could be interesting as well.

That would be fun to watch. 

• 1 month later...

Micheal Ferland: “It’s a tough decision for me, but no, I don’t think I’ll play professionally ever again. Definitely no contact ever again, I need to take care of myself.”

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2
9 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Micheal Ferland: “It’s a tough decision for me, but no, I don’t think I’ll play professionally ever again. Definitely no contact ever again, I need to take care of myself.”

Smart .

• Vintage 1
5 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

You've done the right thing Micheal. Much as I would love to see you in a Canucks uniform again you have other priorities. I've had a concussion and it is scary, constant headaches, unable to sleep, unable to remember stuff.

Go live the rest of your life with your lovely family.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Damn.