The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

7 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Micheal Ferland: “It’s a tough decision for me, but no, I don’t think I’ll play professionally ever again. Definitely no contact ever again, I need to take care of myself.”

Enjoy your retirement with your family.  Thanks for giving us everything you had.

• Huggy Bear 1

Can you imagine if he stayed healthy and was a regular 45-50 point guy with snarl and heaviness?

Obviously Benning could have been more dialed into his injury history prior to the signing, but our team would have looked completely different with Ferland playing at his best.

All the best Micheal, you were fun to watch at your peak. But there is life beyond hockey! 

Would ultimately be cool if he stayed part of the Canucks organization in some capacity, but probably not likely.

Edited by nergish

On 7/28/2021 at 2:29 PM, nergish said:

Can you imagine if he stayed healthy and was a regular 45-50 point guy with snarl 

He was always a player who needed the right "fit" with his linemates. And when he found it, he had a great playoff-minded game. 

I was stoked when we signed him. Shame it didn't work out, but a bigger shame it ended his career. Better safe than... a vegetable.

• Like 1

I may be the only poster who actually remembers this, but Ferland's signing reminds me of when Pat Quinn claimed Behn Wilson off waivers in 1988.  Having Wilson on the Canucks roster would have been awesome.  He was a physically dominant, nuclear warhead of a defenceman, who would have filled all of his teammates with the courage they never had before.  Unfortunately, he was damaged goods and ended up retiring at age 30, without ever playing a game for the Canucks.  An equally sad and very similar story.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Gino is right....Ferland seems to have that not give up gene in him, which is very admirable and is why he was a terrific player. But how easily he was concussed that last come back should be the warning, its time to worry about your life after the game and ability to function. Be happy you're a multi millionaire, had the oppty to play a game for a living, and still can function normally....He comes back and it happens again, who knows what happens to his brain and health....

This is one time I think pulling a Gillis (ie as he did on Manny) could be required if Ferland keeps pushing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Feel bad for Ferland.  Such passion for the game to be shut out the way he has.  The reality is that even if

he passes the medical expectations, he has only played 14 games since the 2018-19 season.  He's been

out for 3yrs, so it would be unlikely that he could still play at the NHL level.:(

• Like 1

So I don't get it. If a player has no intention of returning to the game, why can't the contract not be nullified so we don't have to worry about LTIR and the implications of such?

Edited by kloubek

49 minutes ago, kloubek said:

So I don't get it. If a player has no intention of returning to the game, why can't the contract not be nullified so we don't have to worry about LTIR and the implications of such?

I think the LTIR is included in the contract in case a player can no longer play due to injuries cause by playing hockey.

It will continue for the length of his contract.  He has lost his desire to play due to the serious injury he would risk

getting if he continued to play hockey.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

If they nullify the contract he loses the pay. Because he's on LTIR because of a hockey injury, insurance pays his contract out at full value. This is the same reason you see players like Horton, Savard, Kesler, not 'officially retire' until their contracts ended, despite no longer playing.

It has no bearing on the Canucks cash wise as insurance pays him, and our cap gets his contract AAV back opening day. So its better for all around other than the insurance company, but that's why player insurance is there.

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Upvote 1