-DLC-

image.png

TYLER MYERS | #57

D | 6' 8" | 229 lb | Age: 29 | Vancouver Canucks

• Tyler Myers
  • Born: February 1, 1990
  • Birthplace: Houston, TX, USA
  • Shoots: Right
  • Draft: 2008 BUF, 1st rd, 12th pk (12th overall)

Myers Stats.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Every time I walk into my grandson's home arena (Trico Centre) here in Calgary I see the pictures of the previous Bow Valley Flames now playing in the NHL and I will now see the picture of Tyler Myers in a much different light. Still gonna sneer at Adam Lowry though.....unless the Canucks get him as well. :towel:

Reading a lot of scouting reports on Myers he does remind me a bit of Edler or Bieksa. The ability is evident but struggles with consistency. Myers with the right partner looks like a solid number 3 who can defend, play 20+ minutes per night efficiently and chip in points. With the wrong partner he is an absolute disaster defensively. 

Physically he can also bring it but it is few and far between (like with Edler). I don't think Myers is a 6 million dollar defenseman (the premium you pay in free agency) but can likely play well in the right situation and is a major upgrade over Gudbranson.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Reading a lot of scouting reports on Myers he does remind me a bit of Edler or Bieksa. The ability is evident but struggles with consistency. Myers with the right partner looks like a solid number 3 who can defend, play 20+ minutes per night efficiently and chip in points. With the wrong partner he is an absolute disaster defensively. 

Physically he can also bring it but it is few and far between (like with Edler). I don't think Myers is a 6 million dollar defenseman (the premium you pay in free agency) but can likely play well in the right situation and is a major upgrade over Gudbranson.

I am not sure I would totally agree with you on the number value of his salary.  6 million over 5 years and no expansion protection is not unreasonable.  Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Really curious what becomes of Tanev, with Myers and Benn all aboard. This could possibly be the D in the near future:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Benn

Juolevi - Stecher

Fantenberg - Woo

Myers is not a top pairing d-man even with Edler.  If the Canucks have to use him as one, Markstrom can't have a slow first half start again and Markstrom would need to continue his second half form right out of the gate if the Canucks want a shot at the playoffs.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Myers is not a top pairing d-man even with Edler.  If the Canucks have to use him as one, Markstrom can't have a slow first half start again and Markstrom would need to continue his second half form right out of the gate if the Canucks want a shot at the playoffs.

Neither Edler Myers are top pair guys.  It will D by committee.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

But there are no top pairing D men there. It would have to follow the New Jersey model of Having a 2a) 2b) 2c) pairings. Except I don’t think we have a 2C pair as of this moment. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 87Crosby said:

But there are no top pairing D men there. It would have to follow the New Jersey model of Having a 2a) 2b) 2c) pairings. Except I don’t think we have a 2C pair as of this moment. 

Benn, Stecher isn't far off.

• Cheers 1

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/tyler-myers-canucks-facts

5. Nicknamed “The Big Easy”

The city of New Orleans will always be associated with the nickname “The Big Easy,” but Myers’ former teammates in Buffalo gave him the same moniker as a rookie back in 2009-10.

Even though it wasn’t totally original, Myers approved of the nickname.

“I like it,” he told ESPN back in 2010. “They can keep calling me that.”

Myers = Chara

Ferland = Marchand

JT Miller = Bergeron :P (I know)

I see what you trying to do here JB...

All jokes a side, JB's putting the right pieces in place and you need these type of players to win.

Edited by nux4lyfe
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 87Crosby said:

...and with the Canucks' penchant to get bit by the injury bug, things could get ugly with the defensive play.