The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How much and for how long are we stuck with Myers?  I liked the signing at first, but is this another Loui?  

Even if Myers ends up as bad as Eriksson, his contract is a fair bit more easy to handle. 

• It's one year shorter
  • After July 1, 2020, his NMC becomes a modified NTC
    • Eriksson had two NMC years and two full NTC years before getting a modified NTC
    • Myers also has a less restrictive modified NTC than Eriksson's (Myers has a 10-team no-trade list)
  • Myers does have signing bonuses, but not to the extent of Eriksson's contract, so it's not as bad to buy out
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

How much and for how long are we stuck with Myers?  I liked the signing at first, but is this another Loui?  

Myers has been our best right handed d man, how are we "stuck" with him?

And no, that isn't a shot at our defence, he's actually been good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just looking at Myers' stats through NHL.com, from the beginning of the season until December, in 27 games Myers had 4 points. From December till now Myers has 16 points in 37 games. Guess he just needed some time to adjust.

His defensive game has been better than I expected and his puck moving ability brings a different element to our back end, alongside Quinn. I'd say he's also a big reason Tanev has been as healthy as he has been this season compared to previous seasons because of the hard minutes that are now shared.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Myers is more of an offensive defenceman.  Give him a consistent and capable defensive minded LD partner and then let's judge him. Hughes has had the benefit of Tanev. (not saying Myers is Hughes)

I like a lot of what he brings.  He is the only consistent physical D on this team and tries to be hard to play against.  Given the right quality partner I believe Myers is capable in the top 4 which is what was expected.

Edited by Borvat
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 9:16 AM, Borvat said:

Myers is more of an offensive defenceman.  Give him a consistent and capable defensive minded LD partner and then let's judge him. Hughes has had the benefit of Tanev. (not saying Myers is Hughes)

I like a lot of what he brings.  He is the only consistent physical D on this team and tries to be hard to play against.  Given the right quality partner I believe Myers is capable in the top 4 which is what was expected.

Idealy for next Season:

Hughes - Tanev (resign Tanev at a reasonable caphit)

Edler - Rafferty (should get his shot as a RHD)

Edmundson (UFA) - Myers

Fantanberg

Trade: Jordie Benn

Stecher not qualified and walks away as an UFA

Find a way to shred the cap space of Loui Eriksson + Baertchi + 1 of Sutter/Beagle/Roussel

Resign Markstrom and Toffoli as well.

16 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Idealy for next Season:

Edmundson (UFA) - Myers

Fantanberg

Find a way to shred the cap space of Loui Eriksson + Baertchi + 1 of Sutter/Beagle/Roussel

If in fact Myers is only capable of being a bottom pairing D for the Canucks at $6 Million per season they should use 1 of the potential "buyouts" being talked about if they are available.  That is way too much money for that position. 

I think given the right partner he is a "capable" second pairing D.  In that case he is overpaid but it isn't a worst case scenario. 

10 minutes ago, Borvat said:

If in fact Myers is only capable of being a bottom pairing D for the Canucks at $6 Million per season they should use 1 of the potential "buyouts" being talked about if they are available.  That is way too much money for that position. 

I think given the right partner he is a "capable" second pairing D.  In that case he is overpaid but it isn't a worst case scenario. 

IMO, Edmundson + Myers has the potential to be one of the more underrated pairings in the league (if we are able to get Edmundson). I don't see this as a 3rd pairing, I see this and the Edler pairing as a 2A and 2B pairing with Hughes and Tanev as the clear cut #1 pairing. I still believe the system we implement is the bigger problem though. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/26/2020 at 10:35 AM, ruilin96 said:

Idealy for next Season:

Edmundson (UFA) - Myers

Fantanberg

Edmundson is on my wishlist and, yes, I would have him penciled in as Myers' partner.

Unfortunately, with all the uncertainty surrounding the NHL right now, it's hard to determine just how JB could make it reality.

Man I can't wait for all this turmoil to end.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

Outta curiosity assuming NHL allows 2 compliant buyouts, the first one obviously to Loui, would the second one go to Myers or Beagle? 

1 hour ago, lmm said:

baertschi

Probably Baertschi, even though he's less than Myers or Beagle. Myers, while very overpaid, is still a good player. Beagle is a bit redundant with Sutter in the lineup, but that could go either way and Sutter is actually paid more. Baertschi isn't being used at all.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Outta curiosity assuming NHL allows 2 compliant buyouts, the first one obviously to Loui, would the second one go to Myers or Beagle? 

Myers if we can sign a good defenseman.

If we are able to keep a 2nd one for an extended time I'd do that. Beagle's our best option at 4th C.

If we were to do anybody else it would be Roussel. Has the same contract as Beagle but is more useless.

52 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Compliance buyouts are used on players that cannot be moved due to no value and high cap hits.

Myers has value.

Myers will not have the compliance used on him.

I am not so sure you could trade Myers without giving a sweetener.  

He is an ok D man but that contract, in the trade market, gives him very little value in an actual trade imo.

I don't mind him and he surely is an upgrade on that AHL level defense we had the couple years before we got him.  But I disagree with you statement that he "has value".  I agree a buyout would not be used on him though as at least he is an actual NHL level player.

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I am not so sure you could trade Myers without giving a sweetener.  

He is an ok D man but that contract, in the trade market, gives him very little value in an actual trade imo.

I don't mind him and he surely is an upgrade on that AHL level defense we had the couple years before we got him.  But I disagree with you statement that he "has value".  I agree a buyout would not be used on him though as at least he is an actual NHL level player.

I both agree and disagree. I do think Myers has value and you could probably trade him without a sweetener, but you would have to find a team that needs a defenseman and even then it wouldn't be a big return. We're talkin' about a B prospect or a mid-round draft pick at best. That said, I still think he would be a candidate for a compliance buyout, simply because it's quite likely that in coming years, he will worsen as he ages into his 30s and it might be nice to be rid of a future problem now.

That said, if we're looking more immediately, I think (aside from LE obviously), there are better options still available, like Baertschi, most of all. Sutter and Beagle are useful, but having both seems a bit redundant to me, so they might be options as well.

• Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a feeling he is going to play a huge role in our playin and potential playoff run.

Started to really see him turn it up his game before the pandemic shut things down.  I thought he looked better when more was asked of him, particularly when he was paired with Hughes.  The more minutes he played he seemed to rise to the occasion.  

• Upvote 1

That is actually better than I expected. For the gaffs I see, guess he's doing a lot right. 

I do hope to see him throw his weight around more in the playoffs. Maybe score a bit more too if he can - besides Hughes we are still lacking from the back end.