The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Schmidt looks like he'll slot in with Hughes, both are mobile and Nate's the better shutdown guy. I think that leaves Myers with Edler which gives us a pretty decent shutdown 2nd pairing. I wonder if Myers and Edler playing with each other will result in one of them gambling a bit and playing a bit more offensively. 

If we can get 50+ pts from Hughes, 30-40 from Schmidt and then a combined 50pts from Edler and Myers, I'd be happy. Myers might really get a chance to jump up in the rush playing with a safer, slower Edler.

I really don't see Green playing both of our top puck moving Dmen on the same regular pairing. Late in the game when we are down a goal, sure. But it makes far more sense to have Huggy and Schmidt on different pairings so that we have a quality puck mover on the ice for most of the game.

29 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I really don't see Green playing both of our top puck moving Dmen on the same regular pairing. Late in the game when we are down a goal, sure. But it makes far more sense to have Huggy and Schmidt on different pairings so that we have a quality puck mover on the ice for most of the game.

I LOVE how many options coaches will have for different scenarios this season! Getting Schmidt (for a third in two years! :shock::towel:) was an absolute game changer.

Hughes, Schmidt

Edler, Myers

Juolevi, Benn

Hughes, Myers

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi, Benn

Edler, Hughes

Schmidt, Myers

Juolevi, Benn

On top of that, none of Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo etc need to come in and set the world on fire instantly, the next couple years. They can just come in, under far less pressure, and ease in to third pair roles.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I LOVE how many options coaches will have for different scenarios this season! Getting Schmidt (for a third in two years! :shock::towel:) was an absolute game changer.

Hughes, Schmidt

Edler, Myers

Juolevi, Benn

Hughes, Myers

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi, Benn

Edler, Hughes

Schmidt, Myers

Juolevi, Benn

On top of that, none of Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo etc need to come in and set the world on fire instantly, the next couple years. They can just come in, under far less pressure, and ease in to third pair roles.

Replace Benn with UFA signing like Vatanen/Hamonic would be more ideal. I also wouldn't mind seeing what Rafferty can do at the NHL level. I prefer Benn as a 7th d-man. I really miss Richmond Troy, Troy would be perfect for 3rd pairing RD at a very good cap hit too.

3 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Replace Benn with UFA signing like Vatanen/Hamonic would be more ideal. I also wouldn't mind seeing what Rafferty can do at the NHL level. I prefer Benn as a 7th d-man. I really miss Richmond Troy, Troy would be perfect for 3rd pairing RD at a very good cap hit too.

Yeah, I doubt Benning is done yet and I too would prefer an upgrade on the 3rd pair, if possible.

The one 'upside' to having Benn there, you somewhat noted. It will almost ensure Rafferty gets looks there. Even without injuries. With an upgrade there, he likely has to wait for the injuries.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I doubt Benning is done yet and I too would prefer an upgrade on the 3rd pair, if possible.

The one 'upside' to having Benn there, you somewhat noted. It will almost ensure Rafferty gets looks there. Even without injuries. With an upgrade there, he likely has to wait for the injuries.

I guess it's just barely possible that we might have no injuries on D, with high quality puck movers minimizing the amount of time they spend in our zone blocking shots and getting hit. But more likely we will see the 8th, 9th, and 10th guys on our D depth chart at some point. Assuming that they can be called up - not sure from where, Europe?

22 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I guess it's just barely possible that we might have no injuries on D, with high quality puck movers minimizing the amount of time they spend in our zone blocking shots and getting hit. But more likely we will see the 8th, 9th, and 10th guys on our D depth chart at some point. Assuming that they can be called up - not sure from where, Europe?

Well, there will either be some sort of AHL season (doubtful IMO) or expanded rosters with 'black aces' I'd imagine.

Just now, aGENT said:

Well, there will either be some sort of AHL season (doubtful IMO) or expanded rosters with 'black aces' I'd imagine.

Yeah, I was thinking that they might go to bigger rosters like they do in the KHL. I like the idea of bigger rosters, but wonder how they would work it into the Cap?

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Schmidt

Edler, Myers

Juolevi, Benn

Hughes, Myers

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi, Benn

Edler, Hughes

Schmidt, Myers

Juolevi, Benn

Option 3 please.

I think that will be the best balance of the pairings.

10 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Hate his contract all you want, but Mysie is a huge leader in the room already and could be the key to helping reigning in Jake.

well i hope i am proved wrong about Jake!  hoping this year he comes to camp ready and he works his butt off the whole year

• Cheers 1

On 10/20/2020 at 8:07 AM, WeneedLumme said:

The way some people talk about Myers, they'd be appalled to have him dragging Hughes down. I like Hughes and Schmidt as the top two guys we have really driving play, and helping each other excel.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:42 AM, aGENT said:

Hughes, Schmidt

Edler, Myers

Juolevi, Benn

Hughes, Myers

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi, Benn

Edler, Hughes

Schmidt, Myers

Juolevi, Benn

How about if Rafferty makes an impact (it would be great, but not expecting it)? We could build to something like:

Hughes Schmidt

Edler Rafferty

Juolevi Meyers

That would leave for a decent balance if they can pull it off.

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 2:17 AM, UKNuck96 said:

It’s not all about points for contract worth.

Myers gives us a net clearing presence which we don’t have anywhere else, he is reasonable on the outlet with passing or puck carrying, he is responsible in his own zone and makes smart decisions. 

Considering trading for D is hard and UFA D are expensive 6m is probably under market value for him. You can not compare a UFA contract to an internal cap structure based on drafted player contracts for that team but against market value, Myers is according to the market is good value for 6m. 

if we lose Myers as seen in this playoffs we struggle and have to play a lot more defensively as a team causing the offensive forwards to generate less chances as they have to do more D work. Then little things he does and brings to the team are well worth his contract and unless we are replacing him with someone similar (which would probably cost more than him) then it’s a step back. We need more players like Myers not less 

It doesn't matter if you like or dislike the Myers deal, one thing is certain; he must be much better next season for Vancouver to have any chance for another playoff appearance next season.

The good news is, I believe, he will.

He's a mature, smart hockey player who takes his training very seriously. 

The fact that he's willing to help guide Jake in his quest for peak fitness and well-being shows his leadership qualities and should further endear him to us.

He knows the honeymoon is over and it's time to bring the goods.

I believe he will meet or beat previous career highs in a Vancouver jersey and will be a key piece to future team success.

I believe our dcore has been improved on and will prove formidable in the upcoming season.

• Cheers 1

On 10/22/2020 at 6:06 PM, elvis15 said:

The way some people talk about Myers, they'd be appalled to have him dragging Hughes down. I like Hughes and Schmidt as the top two guys we have really driving play, and helping each other excel.

Me too.

Lead with your strengths.

Huggie and Schmidtty with 25 minutes per game each = opposition zombies (ala VGK vs Demko).

The rest of our D can just hang on to the inevitable lead the rest of the way.

I would even like to see a PP with these 2 D causing fits along the blue line and deeper into the zone.

That way we wouldn't have a weak forward trying to cover the point.

Can't wait for puck drop.

Go Bo Go !!

• Like 1

On October 20, 2020 at 8:42 AM, aGENT said:

Hughes, Schmidt

Edler, Myers

Juolevi, Benn

Hughes, Myers

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi, Benn

Edler, Hughes

Schmidt, Myers

Juolevi, Benn

I agree so exciting to have Schmidt top D man for 3rd round pick..Great great move by Benning....

If we get Ferland on long term that will free up 3.5 million... Try and trade Suttter retain 1.5 - 2 million? 

That would give us 5 million.. Go after Hamonic 2.7 million X 2 yr deal...Would add grit toughness and depth solid #4 guy...

Tryamkin will also sign after KHL contract so have to have cap space...So Tryamkin 1.5 million and Podkolzin entry level deal, in Vancouver by end of February...

Edited by wildcam

19 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree so exciting to have Schmidt top D man for 3rd round pick..Great great move by Benning....

If we get Ferland on long term that will free up 3.5 million... Try and trade Suttter retain 1.5 - 2 million? 

That would give us 5 million.. Go after Hamonic 2.7 million X 2 yr deal...Would add grit toughness and depth solid #4 guy...

Tryamkin will also sign after KHL contract so have to have cap space...So Tryamkin 1.5 million and Podkolzin entry level deal, in Vancouver by end of February...

Honestly not sure Hamonic gets anything like that at this point on anything but a basement team with cap space. He may need to settle for a one year $1-$1.5m deal on a decent team. ESPECIALLY if he'd like to stay in Canada (and West ideally) as reported. But yes, that (or similar) would be ideal assuming we can pull it off.

We also don't want to be committing to two years given you rightly point out we likely want Tryamkin signed and playing in that spot in another year.

I simply threw Benn in there as he's who we currently have under contract. I'd be perfectly happy to have Hamonic or similar slot in there instead. And I do believe that's likely the plan if Benning can pull it off. Then have Benn as a spare or even waived.