Sign in to follow this  
debluvscanucks

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

On 9/16/2020 at 2:17 AM, UKNuck96 said:

It’s not all about points for contract worth.

Myers gives us a net clearing presence which we don’t have anywhere else, he is reasonable on the outlet with passing or puck carrying, he is responsible in his own zone and makes smart decisions. 

Considering trading for D is hard and UFA D are expensive 6m is probably under market value for him. You can not compare a UFA contract to an internal cap structure based on drafted player contracts for that team but against market value, Myers is according to the market is good value for 6m. 

if we lose Myers as seen in this playoffs we struggle and have to play a lot more defensively as a team causing the offensive forwards to generate less chances as they have to do more D work. Then little things he does and brings to the team are well worth his contract and unless we are replacing him with someone similar (which would probably cost more than him) then it’s a step back. We need more players like Myers not less 

It doesn't matter if you like or dislike the Myers deal, one thing is certain; he must be much better next season for Vancouver to have any chance for another playoff appearance next season.

The good news is, I believe, he will.

He's a mature, smart hockey player who takes his training very seriously. 

The fact that he's willing to help guide Jake in his quest for peak fitness and well-being shows his leadership qualities and should further endear him to us.

He knows the honeymoon is over and it's time to bring the goods.

I believe he will meet or beat previous career highs in a Vancouver jersey and will be a key piece to future team success.

I believe our dcore has been improved on and will prove formidable in the upcoming season.

• Hydration 1

On 10/22/2020 at 6:06 PM, elvis15 said:

The way some people talk about Myers, they'd be appalled to have him dragging Hughes down. I like Hughes and Schmidt as the top two guys we have really driving play, and helping each other excel.

Me too.

Lead with your strengths.

Huggie and Schmidtty with 25 minutes per game each = opposition zombies (ala VGK vs Demko).

The rest of our D can just hang on to the inevitable lead the rest of the way.

I would even like to see a PP with these 2 D causing fits along the blue line and deeper into the zone.

That way we wouldn't have a weak forward trying to cover the point.

Can't wait for puck drop.

Go Bo Go !!

• Like 1

On October 20, 2020 at 8:42 AM, aGENT said:

I LOVE how many options coaches will have for different scenarios this season! Getting Schmidt (for a third in two years! :shock::towel:) was an absolute game changer.

Hughes, Schmidt

Edler, Myers

Juolevi, Benn

Hughes, Myers

Edler, Schmidt

Juolevi, Benn

Edler, Hughes

Schmidt, Myers

Juolevi, Benn

On top of that, none of Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo etc need to come in and set the world on fire instantly, the next couple years. They can just come in, under far less pressure, and ease in to third pair roles.

I agree so exciting to have Schmidt top D man for 3rd round pick..Great great move by Benning....

If we get Ferland on long term that will free up 3.5 million... Try and trade Suttter retain 1.5 - 2 million? 

That would give us 5 million.. Go after Hamonic 2.7 million X 2 yr deal...Would add grit toughness and depth solid #4 guy...

Tryamkin will also sign after KHL contract so have to have cap space...So Tryamkin 1.5 million and Podkolzin entry level deal, in Vancouver by end of February...

Edited by wildcam

19 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree so exciting to have Schmidt top D man for 3rd round pick..Great great move by Benning....

If we get Ferland on long term that will free up 3.5 million... Try and trade Suttter retain 1.5 - 2 million? 

That would give us 5 million.. Go after Hamonic 2.7 million X 2 yr deal...Would add grit toughness and depth solid #4 guy...

Tryamkin will also sign after KHL contract so have to have cap space...So Tryamkin 1.5 million and Podkolzin entry level deal, in Vancouver by end of February...

Honestly not sure Hamonic gets anything like that at this point on anything but a basement team with cap space. He may need to settle for a one year $1-$1.5m deal on a decent team. ESPECIALLY if he'd like to stay in Canada (and West ideally) as reported. But yes, that (or similar) would be ideal assuming we can pull it off.

We also don't want to be committing to two years given you rightly point out we likely want Tryamkin signed and playing in that spot in another year.

I simply threw Benn in there as he's who we currently have under contract. I'd be perfectly happy to have Hamonic or similar slot in there instead. And I do believe that's likely the plan if Benning can pull it off. Then have Benn as a spare or even waived.

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

Honestly not sure Hamonic gets anything like that at this point on anything but a basement team with cap space. He may need to settle for a one year $1-$1.5m deal on a decent team. ESPECIALLY if he'd like to stay in Canada (and West ideally) as reported. But yes, that (or similar) would be ideal assuming we can pull it off.

We also don't want to be committing to two years given you rightly point out we likely want Tryamkin signed and playing in that spot in another year.

I simply threw Benn in there as he's who we currently have under contract. I'd be perfectly happy to have Hamonic or similar slot in there instead. And I do believe that's likely the plan if Benning can pull it off. Then have Benn as a spare or even waived.

I have been hearing Hamonic might be closely  linked to the Jets now.... Yes Tryamkin will add a good element to the back end...A big tough D man that can fill # 5 spot and move to # 4 with injuries... Imagine 6'7, 265 clearing the front of net making forward stay outside, long stick and he is aggressive..

We will have 2 big D man, Myers 6'8, 220 lbs, Tryamkin 6'7 260 lbs...

13 hours ago, wildcam said:

LeBrun, Friedman are reporting that the league would like to re-start on 1 January.  The playoffs would start mid-May per Friedman with the Cup awarded latest 15 July given the Summer Olympics.  RFAs have to be signed a quarter into the season at the latest otherwise they won't be allowed to play for the rest of the season/playoffs.  That's early February and Tryamkin would miss the cut-off signing date.   Podkolzin is a 1st time ELC player and can be added at any time provided they have the cap space.  

Tyler Myers lopes past an Alain Vigneault favourite and into 244th in all-time Canuck scoring

243.  Dave Richter D 127 4 19 23
244.  Tyler Myers D 72 7 15 22
245.  Rick Vaive RW 47 13 8 21
246.  Tanner Glass LW 140 7 14 21

It seems like he may be starting to play with more aggression and be more of a leader in that way than he used to be.  I think maybe maturity is starting to set in for him (or at least I hope).

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Tyler Myers lopes past an Alain Vigneault favourite and into 244th in all-time Canuck scoring

243.  Dave Richter D 127 4 19 23
244.  Tyler Myers D 72 7 15 22
245.  Rick Vaive RW 47 13 8 21
246.  Tanner Glass LW 140 7 14 21

And he's just 1 point behind another D man who had very similar physical attributes to Myers for his day.  Also a player that I was very pumped about the Canucks acquiring at the time, for just that reason, although his time with us didn't  last as long as I had hoped.

19 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

And he's just 1 point behind another D man who had very similar physical attributes to Myers for his day.  Also a player that I was very pumped about the Canucks acquiring at the time, for just that reason, although his time with us didn't  last as long as I had hoped.

I was a little too young to remember Richter, although I think I remember my dad complaining he had stone hands.  Not sure if that was apt or not.

35 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I was a little too young to remember Richter, although I think I remember my dad complaining he had stone hands.  Not sure if that was apt or not.

Yes, very good for punching, not so good for puckhandling.  But that's why I was so happy for the Canucks to have acquired him at the time!B)

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

On 1/19/2021 at 8:42 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

It seems like he may be starting to play with more aggression and be more of a leader in that way than he used to be.  I think maybe maturity is starting to set in for him (or at least I hope).

He was the best player on the ice for the Canucks last game. Let's hope he keeps it up, because he showed in the bubble that he can be a huge difference maker. 

12 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

He was the best player on the ice for the Canucks last game. Let's hope he keeps it up, because he showed in the bubble that he can be a huge difference maker. 

yep great when he punched t puke in the face , then calgary scored on the pp yep that was the huge difference in the game, just the worst timing to take that penalty 

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, the grinder said:

yep great when he punched t puke in the face , then calgary scored on the pp yep that was the huge difference in the game, just the worst timing to take that penalty 

You have to say Tkachuk has a face every one would like to punch :lol:

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2021 at 11:42 PM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

With leadership and maturity should come an understanding of how demoralizing bad penalties are to your entire team. 

I don't know if Myers/Roussel think they're motivating the team with these untimely penalties they keep taking but they're not helping that's for sure. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

You have to say Tkachuk has a face every one would like to punch :lol:

sure there is but not at that the time of the game 

48 minutes ago, the grinder said:

sure there is but not at that the time of the game 

I agree but I'm glad he did it, the game was over any way, maybe Virtanen should have grabbed him or Roussel. Man we're lacking in physicality

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

With leadership and maturity should come an understanding of how demoralizing bad penalties are to your entire team. 

I don't know if Myers/Roussel think they're motivating the team with these untimely penalties they keep taking but they're not helping that's for sure. 

Agreed. It's one thing if Tkachuk just took out Hughes with a dirty hit. It's another if he's just irritating you in your face. They should learn when it's a worthwhile penalty to take and when you're just grabbing the bait that Tkachuk is so good at dangling.

18 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Agreed. It's one thing if Tkachuk just took out Hughes with a dirty hit. It's another if he's just irritating you in your face. They should learn when it's a worthwhile penalty to take and when you're just grabbing the bait that Tkachuk is so good at dangling.

All true, but some times you look at the clock and think if I don't do i now, I might never get another chance. Any way t's over but maybe the after effect might last

In a perfect world this guy gets suspended for the duration of his contract

What an absolutely horrendous player, and at a cheap rate of only 6 million a year!

Thanks again Jimbo.

PS. Positions aside, I'd rather have Loui in the lineup than this guy