The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

20 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

From what I saw Myers did everything he could to come around and put shoulder to the chest, guys shouldn’t be protected from physical play by turning there back to the opposition.  I was fine with the play and the call as he did get some shoulder to face.  Will be disappointed in the league if Myers gets significant supplementary discipline when McD can clearly board Hughes without a whisper from the media or league   

He came across. Then elevated to put his shoulder into Armia’s head.  If Weber did this to Guadette you’d be screaming bloody murder. 

19 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

He came across. Then elevated to put his shoulder into Armia’s head.  If Weber did this to Guadette you’d be screaming bloody murder. 

Not saying he didn’t deserve the penalty just saying I do not believe his intent was to deliver a dirty he as he could’ve hit him shoulder to shoulder which would’ve resulted in a brutal boarding and deserved suspension 

I liked that he hit him and it’s too bad he got him in the head but I don’t want our guys not finishing there checks

3 hours ago, Pettershon said:

The hit was slightly blindside and predatory...but at the end of the day...seeing Tyler Myers play with an edge is great. When we got him the slight was that he wasn't mean and was a gentle giant....now, imagine Tryamkin comes back and has a bit of an edge...or, We add a bigger meaner D man ?

You can't have undersized players without guys like Myers stepping up and being a mean sob to have them thinking twice. 

I am willing to bet Benning and Green are both Exstatic with the way Myers has been using his size and the added mean streak to his game regardless of penalties. Perhaps he may need to put it away to avoid the box so we can actually win some games, yes.

The reason we're losing isnt Myers. It's a big step back in terms of defense and goaltending. Edlers a year older and Tanev was greatly under rated. It's back to growing pains for the Canucks. 

keep your head up 

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

It's hard for him not to look like he elevated when 1) he's 6'7" so any contact will look to be head level, 2) Armia was looking down at the puck and bent over (what do you expect Tyler to do, squat down and somehow hit him from the same level?), and 3) how do you expect a hit to come if it wasn't power generated through his legs (people need to skate into each other to hit)?  Myers also had his shoulder tucked in and, while a shift of momentum to explode into a hit would necessitate some upward motion, it honestly just looked like a hard but clean hit intended for the chest that unfortunately caught his head.  Then again I'm not the DOPS so we'll have to see. 

• Cheers 1

No supplementary discipline for Myers is a win.  

Hoping that helps the team focus and get ready for Saturday.  Montreal is not a great team.  Clean up the gaffes on defence and it should be a winnable game or at a minimum a hard fought one.

Let's go!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, qwijibo said:

That’s why the refs looked at it and still gave him a 5 minute major?  Armia is 6’3”. So you can take the big man argument out of the equation. This was a predatory hit on an unsuspecting player engaged with 2 other Canucks at the time. 

This didn’t age well for you, as the pros broke down the play and decided opposite of what you think. And I completely agree with them, body checking belongs in hockey no need for the snowflakes to take it out. 

And boy am I happy myers is playing mean. Maybe he will get an emotional spark out of petey pissing the habs off and making a game have some feel to it 

• 4 weeks later...

From the bits I've watched, Myers' defense is still as terrifyingly inconsistent as ever, but his offense is up about 50% this year so far, which is nice. He's on pace for about 27 points in 56 games this year--he had 21 in 68 games last year.

Curiously, ever since the 2020 playoffs, his PIM has gone through the roof too. On pace for 103 PIM despite the shortened season. That would be more than his previous highest at 72 in 73 games with the Jets in 2015-16.

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

From the bits I've watched, Myers' defense is still as terrifyingly inconsistent as ever, but his offense is up about 50% this year so far, which is nice. He's on pace for about 27 points in 56 games this year--he had 21 in 68 games last year.

Curiously, ever since the 2020 playoffs, his PIM has gone through the roof too. On pace for 103 PIM despite the shortened season. That would be more than his previous highest at 72 in 73 games with the Jets in 2015-16.

Yeah, he's been getting a lot of calls for 'being tall' for some reason. That and he's playing a bit grittier.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I feel he is feeling the pressure of being the number one right handed Dman. He is averaging a lot of minutes this year shouldering PK 1 mins, while anchoring that 2nd PP unit too.

Canucks need some more help on that right side.

In think Jim 'Hannibal' Benning is on it ;)

1WY9Lg9T_400x400.jpg

• 4 weeks later...