The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

13 hours ago, hammertime said:

Say what you want about his contract he has been absolutely great for us this year.

he's been the best overall dman this year, without question.  Though Hamnic is really starting to get comfy now too

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

he's been the best overall dman this year, without question.  Though Hamnic is really starting to get comfy now too

Myers has chnaged his game to a certain degree from hen he first joined the team, he's a lot more physical now. Harmonic is improving a lot not sure if that's conditioning

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 3:23 PM, aGENT said:

Myers contract being 'bad' is just another in the long list of garbage takes from our media/fanbase :bored:

Simultaneous with that take is everyone expecting he could get chosen by Seattle.

Seems like people can't make up their minds.

I don't share the opinion that it's a bad contract (though it could perhaps become one towards the end of the deal), but I think it's a rich enough contract that it makes him being close to expansion-proof.

Which is great if I'm right, cause I would love to keep him

3 hours ago, nzan said:

Simultaneous with that take is everyone expecting he could get chosen by Seattle.

Seems like people can't make up their minds.

I don't share the opinion that it's a bad contract (though it could perhaps become one towards the end of the deal), but I think it's a rich enough contract that it makes him being close to expansion-proof.

Which is great if I'm right, cause I would love to keep him

I don't think it does any such thing. He's not overpaid. Just as Pearson isn't overpaid.

If he is exposed and their options are a bunch of tweener forwards, unproven tweener prospects, unproven tweener Rafferty with a likely bottom pair ceiling, Holtby and Myers...I know who I'd be taking and his name is Tyler Myers.

• Like 1

not all analytics are the same. Evolution Hockey's stuff is HOT GARBAGE IMO. jordie benn is our 2 best GAR producer on our team, and 75% of it comes from offence. for RAPM players stats are penalized for playing with the same teammates and players who play little time are rewarded/subtracted points to bring them closer to average.

what i like about elite hockeys QOC metrics and WOODWOWY is you can compare who plays against who and who thier teammates are.

what I have found out is myers plays more EV minutes with my two favorite forwards Gaudette and Beagle.

Gaudette plays about 55% of his minutes with myers. Beagle plays about 40% with myers.

I'm also not really sure whose linemate myers is. he generally out with schmidt and benn the most but benn and schmidt play more minutes with hughes and edler. myers also plays with edler and hughes too more than any other defenceman, except schmidt/edler, hughes/benn and hughes/hamonic

frankly myers just 'exists" always out there, constantly retrieving the puck with beagle and cursing gaudette for giving him the courtesy of not having a winger down low in thier own end.

if you wonder why myers analytics are so bad, blame green.

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Over 30 minutes of ice time to Myers tonight. He definitely struggled with that much ice time, but what a warrior to play that much.

He does tend to get gassed, so I think he handled all that time amazingly well. Lots of effort from him tonight.

I actually think Benning positioned himself to keep Myers at the deadline. I could be wrong, but I don't think he has any intention of exposing him.

10 hours ago, kloubek said:

He does tend to get gassed, so I think he handled all that time amazingly well. Lots of effort from him tonight.

I actually think Benning positioned himself to keep Myers at the deadline. I could be wrong, but I don't think he has any intention of exposing him.

This is where I start to question if we even have room for Edler (as much as I love the guy and want him to retire a Canuck). But assuming we try to bring back Hamonic to play with Hughes (a solid partner for him should be a priority IMO) and we're bringing back Tryamkin, Schmidt likely swaps to our left side... something like:

Hughes, Hamonic

Schmidt, Myers

Juolevi, Tryamkin

I mean we can certainly try to tandem Edler and Juolevi in and out but I kinda feel Juolevi should be closer to a full time role next year. And while Edler could certainly benefit from a reduction of minutes, I doubt he wants to be sitting half the games either (nor does he 'deserve' to).

It's going to be interesting to see how this all sorts out over the summer...

I still hold out hope we might be able to find an ED exposure bargain and expose Myers. The guy gets unwarranted hate for his play/contract but it could make sense in the bigger picture if we can replace him with a younger, RFA (and hence cheaper) guy.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I get that Myers has his flaws, and rough nights, no disputing that.  Getting a Dman who is on pace for 35+ points, plays 22+ mins per night in all situations, and is only -4 on a team with a huge negative goal diff for 6 mil is not a bad deal at all.  Getting someone who carries Myers load for anything under 6 would be a tough task, he is not as easily replaceable as people here think.

This. The only way you improve on that is if you manage to draft (ELC and RFA) or trade for a guy with cheaper RFA contract years remaining. Any comparable, or better, UFA aged D was always going to get as much/more than the $6m we're paying him.

The 'overpaid' narrative is a a massively oversimplified and idiotic take.

• Cheers 3

• 2 weeks later...

We have to expose Myers to Seattle and hope they take him. Myers is a good player but not 6 million dollars good. I am noticing his legs giving way too easily to smaller players. For a guy his size, he shouldn't be so easily knocked off the puck. 

Do the right thing Jimbo. Admit you forgot your meds when you signed the Myers contract and expose Myers.

27 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

We have to expose Myers to Seattle and hope they take him. Myers is a good player but not 6 million dollars good. I am noticing his legs giving way too easily to smaller players. For a guy his size, he shouldn't be so easily knocked off the puck. 

Do the right thing Jimbo. Admit you forgot your meds when you signed the Myers contract and expose Myers.

He's having a good year, but even then he's not worth $6M. Never mind that the contract goes on for another three years. Unless he ages well (the deal takes him through his early 30s), the contract could look pretty bad in a year or two.

I think it might be a good idea to leave him exposed, but

a) I'm not sure if Seattle takes it (they might given his better year)

b) we would need to replace his top 4 minutes

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He's having a good year, but even then he's not worth $6M. Never mind that the contract goes on for another three years. Unless he ages well (the deal takes him through his early 30s), the contract could look pretty bad in a year or two.

I think it might be a good idea to leave him exposed, but

a) I'm not sure if Seattle takes it (they might given his better year)

b) we would need to replace his top 4 minutes

I have to disagree about leaving Myers exposed in the expansion draft. Pretty sure he will be protected and that is why they traded for Madison Bowey as he fulfills the expansion requirement of having a D under contract that meets the criteria. Both Edler and Hamonic are UFA's and may well re-sign with Vancouver so that leaves Myers, Schmidt and Juolevi as the most likely D to be protected. The only other prospect of note would be Brisbois as he is an RFA

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I have to disagree about leaving Myers exposed in the expansion draft. Pretty sure he will be protected and that is why they traded for Madison Bowey as he fulfills the expansion requirement of having a D under contract that meets the criteria. Both Edler and Hamonic are UFA's and may well re-sign with Vancouver so that leaves Myers, Schmidt and Juolevi as the most likely D to be protected. The only other prospect of note would be Brisbois as he is an RFA

Not sure about Meyers trade restrictions if any. Bottom line is that he will be quite tradeable in 2-3 years if the depth catches up to him. I generally like his game. I do think there will be a coaching change for Baumgartner this summer. The back end is to disorganized. Some of these d-men might play a much better game with more structure.