The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

I've warmed to Myers as well. He was never... bad... but he didn't play with an edge. Since last year he's been noticably better. More physicality, better decision making, and less telegraphing his passes. Just all around better... and, dare I say, finally worth the salary.

11 hours ago, kloubek said:

I've warmed to Myers as well. He was never... bad... but he didn't play with an edge. Since last year he's been noticably better. More physicality, better decision making, and less telegraphing his passes. Just all around better... and, dare I say, finally worth the salary.

The look in his face after he nailed Keith will make him a favorite for me for years. He has been a Canuck fan in the past and I am sure he watched that hit on Daniel. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I did some looking recently and Myers has some surprisingly decent defensive metrics in the few stats I looked up. Blocks a lot of shots but still has a decent CORSI and also even in +/-. I'm not sure how much weight to put into takeaways and giveaways, but he's actually got more takeaways than giveaways, which is uncommon for a defenseman.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Go to 3 minutes in. "I was talking to Scotty Bowman last night...."

Great to hear a coach, that can articulate his decision making process vs what Green offered, in his pressers.  Also, having Bowman, as someone to talk to - for any coach is valuable but a veteran coach like Boudreau - still willing to seek, another opinion speaks volumes.  

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Great to hear a coach, that can articulate his decision making process vs what Green offered, in his pressers.  Also, having Bowman, as someone to talk to - for any coach is valuable but a veteran coach like Boudreau - still willing to seek, another opinion speaks volumes.  

Pretty cool when you've got connections to the GOAT like that.

BB is playing Myers around 3 to 4 mins more per game. And Myers has been playing great. 

I watched that BB interview on NHL Network few days ago posted above. 

Looks like so far BB is pushing all the right buttons. 

Podz has also seen more TOI under BB. Approximately 1.5 mins more per game. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 11:26 AM, ShawnAntoski said:

Says to me that he’s humble. He’s 66 years old. He’s got a vast amount of experience. He didn’t have to seek another opinion or voice. But he did. That, to me, demonstrates a willingness to change, or need to change if he has to. Love Bruce. I feel bad for Green. But I love the team more than anything, and if that means one coach has to go for the betterment of the team, then so be it. 

With that being said, I hope Boudreau is here for a long while. I hope he’s got years of coaching ahead of him. AND. I hope they rock the playoffs for him, since he hasn’t had the greatest playoff success and record. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Says to me that he’s humble. He’s 66 years old. He’s got a vast amount of experience. He didn’t have to seek another opinion or voice. But he did. That, to me, demonstrates a willingness to change, or need to change if he has to. Love Bruce. I feel bad for Green. But I love the team more than anything, and if that means one coach has to go for the betterment of the team, then so be it. 

With that being said, I hope Boudreau is here for a long while. I hope he’s got years of coaching ahead of him. AND. I hope they rock the playoffs for him, since he hasn’t had the greatest playoff success and record. 

Good chance, JR & Boudreau (long time friends, as per JR) will give this opportunity to work together, there all to win a cup in Vancouver.  Imo, going from a rigid Coach to Boudreau, is what the team needed and it is paying off, in a big way.

I have no sympathy for Green cause JB gave him an extension, plus a deeper roster and he repaid JBs' loyalty with mediocrity.  At the end, his handling of the roster only cemented his reputation as a mediocre coach and his overall record speaks for itself.

With JR,  I hope he doesn't fill management, with ex Pitsburgh executives; and preferably, would continue to go the outsider route - but look into other organizations, as well.  Just like, with Boudreau & whoever the GM - JR has to obviously, find the balance with his crew: synergy cause Green, has proven that, with the wrong even McD, will.regress.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

Nobody is talking about Tyler Myers…

He is playing the best hockey of his career and for the first time is living up to his contract.  

The question is whether this is a blip and we should try to escape from his contract while he is on a hot streak, or whether this is the player we are going to see for another few years.

Working against him is that OEL has basically had to neuter his offensive production to be the defensive presence in the duo.  If OEL had a more defensively oriented partner do we start getting more points out of him?  We are one of the lowest scoring defences in the league.

Working for him is that we really don’t have any other options on the right side, so he is the best we got.  Schenn is what he is, and Poolman/Hamonic are spare parts.

I guess if we can end up with Schneider and another NHL ready RHD in upcoming trades… maybe Myers becomes expendable enough we can reallocate that money elsewhere.  If we only get one good young RHD vis trade but also draft one is Jiricek or Nemec, Myers seems like a good option to have around as he will be on his way out right about when one of those guys could be expected to start taking material minutes.

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Provost said:

Nobody is talking about Tyler Myers…

He is playing the best hockey of his career and for the first time is living up to his contract.  

The question is whether this is a blip and we should try to escape from his contract while he is on a hot streak, or whether this is the player we are going to see for another few years.

Working against him is that OEL has basically had to neuter his offensive production to be the defensive presence in the duo.  If OEL had a more defensively oriented partner do we start getting more points out of him?  We are one of the lowest scoring defences in the league.

Working for him is that we really don’t have any other options on the right side, so he is the best we got.  Schenn is what he is, and Poolman/Hamonic are spare parts.

I guess if we can end up with Schneider and another NHL ready RHD in upcoming trades… maybe Myers becomes expendable enough we can reallocate that money elsewhere.  If we only get one good young RHD vis trade but also draft one is Jiricek or Nemec, Myers seems like a good option to have around as he will be on his way out right about when one of those guys could be expected to start taking material minutes.

Myers and OEL have had a very similar years in that both have lacked the offense usually expected, but both have had defensive renaissance years this year.

• 2 weeks later...

With his 1st goal of the season plus a helper, Myers is the highest mover up the all-time Canuck scoring list, into 142nd

141.  Peter McNab C 89 24 31 55
142.  Tyler Myers D 176 13 42 55
143.  J.J. Daigneault D 131 9 46 55
144.  Dave Scatchard C 179 26 28 54
144.  Steve Bernier RW 140 26 28 54
144.  Blair MacDonald RW 88 26 28 54
147.  Derek Dorsett RW 184 20 34 54
148.  Jeff Brown D 72 10 44 54
149.  Brent Peterson C 146 15 38 53

On 12/25/2021 at 3:26 PM, Mrwipeout said:

id say myers has been one of our top 3 D ever since he joined. the noticeable thing is hes been more physical and seems to have gotten some confidence going. 

I'd go one further and say he's been our best overall defenseman on average and now with Hughes continuing to improve and with OEL here he's 3rd at worst going forward.  I hear on sports shows from other markets saying his contract sucks and he's a $3 million dollar player at most, I can only think they never watch him and someone said he sucks so they all just go with it.  To me he is a solid top 4d.

On 2/13/2022 at 5:53 AM, -AJ- said:

Myers and OEL have had a very similar years in that both have lacked the offense usually expected, but both have had defensive renaissance years this year.

To me it seems the lack of offense is due to the roles they have been asked to play especially for OEL, When Hughes was out for 3 games OEL got 6-7 points.  

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1