The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

1 hour ago, NucknAsia said:

Why not just get Meyers to stay at home? Coach into him, they don't want him taking risks, play safe and steady and physical. I am not as hard on Meyers as other are here. I think he's a decent dman but tries to do too much, and that's where he gets into trouble.

Get him to play like Tanev with an edge...he has the talent to do it. Really just needs to make his game more simple, which is easier.

Jim, is that you? :P

Trying to cram his square peg in to the round holes we need, isn't the answer.

Again, this isn't about him being a "poor player". He's a perfectly fine, 2nd pair D. He's just an ill fit with any of the other top 4 guys we have to play opposite of him.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

Jim, is that you? :P

Trying to cram his square peg in to the round holes we need, isn't the answer.

Again, this isn't about him being a "poor player". He's a perfectly fine, 2nd pair D. He's just an ill fit with any of the other top 4 guys we have to play opposite of him.

Yeah trying to change him into a player which isn't him (nor play to his strengths) is a bit of a wishful thinking considering he's 32 years old.  He is what he is.  A 2nd pairing defenseman.  

15 hours ago, Googlie said:

Fun facr:

OEL is 9 months younger and $600k cheaper (to us) than Victor Hedman

He's always younger than I realize since he was a star in the league at such a young age. He finished 7th in Norris voting in 2012-13 at just 21 years of age.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He's always younger than I realize since he was a star in the league at such a young age. He finished 7th in Norris voting in 2012-13 at just 21 years of age.

You have to wonder where he would be if zona wasn't holding him back.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Myers 10 team NT clause is in effect today July 2022? He could be traded big RD 32, 6'6..I like Myers he plays big minutes against other teams best players 20-22 mins...

Can't unload Myers unless they can replace these tough minutes with veteran RD guy.. Myers 2yrs X 6 million...Any decent RD man will be making over 4.5 million..

• Cheers 1

I’m in the camp that wants to keep Myers… for as long as I can remember we have been screaming for a big rhd man. Now we have one and we want him gone. 

He played all 82 games, threw 145 hits blocked 148 shots. 18 points and +15 

20+ mins per game, and plays on the pk is he a super star? Nah… is he over paid? Probably… but it’s 2 more years the bigger issue is OEL and his 5 years left… (not to mention we gave up the pick that landed Guenther for him) 

• Vintage 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 12:29 PM, Frozen Water Walker said:

I will say it again, reading the boards I just can't believe the lack of love for Mr. Myers

I agree Myers is not as bad as this message board makes out.. Myers always matches up against other teams to line..

Meyers logs tough minutes and plays decent 21--24 mins..If anything he plays too much in some games..

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, wildcam said:

I agree Myers is not as bad as this message board makes out.. Myers always matches up against other teams to line..

Meyers logs tough minutes and plays decent 21--24 mins..If anything he plays too much in some games..

It’s going to be interesting to see if Hughes moves to the right side and possibly pairs with OEL. I’d imagine that pairing could draw a lot of the tougher matchups, taking some pressure off of Myers (and whoever he’s paired with).

Last season, Hughes was already getting a fair portion of the matchup duties, with an overall quality of competition that was pretty similar (albeit slightly less) to Myers. And it might surprise some people to learn than Hughes actually played more minutes than any other Canucks Dman against several of the league’s truly elite players (including McDavid and MacKinnon).

Hughes’s viability as a matchup option and the resulting overall deployment shift seems to have flown under the radar with many people. There are still a lot of Canucks fans who think Hughes plays “sheltered” minutes and is only trusted by the coaches in an offensive role. And that Myers (and OEL) gets tasked with the vast majority of the shutdown duties and is forced to eat all the toughest minutes and top matchups. This simply wasn’t the case last season. Myers certainly played a lot of tough minutes and was used in a matchup role. But so was Hughes. And the overall difference (QualComp, shiftcharts, etc) wasn’t all that significant. While there’s no questioning Myers and OEL (to their credit) played the “toughest” overall minutes on the D, the data also shows quite clearly, albeit somewhat surprisingly, that Hughes really wasn’t all that far behind either of them.

If Hughes continues to develop and grow his overall game and move toward a true #1 role (eating 25+ minutes a night, taking a larger share of the toughest matchups, playing both PK and PP, etc), it might actually allow Myers (and his partner) to play a bit of a reduced role with some slightly easier deployment.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s going to be interesting to see if Hughes moves to the right side and possibly pairs with OEL. I’d imagine that pairing could draw a lot of the tougher matchups, taking some pressure off of Myers (and whoever he’s paired with).

Last season, Hughes was already getting a fair portion of the matchup duties, with an overall quality of competition that was pretty similar (albeit slightly less) to Myers. And it might surprise some people to learn than Hughes actually played more minutes than any other Canucks Dman against several of the league’s truly elite players (including McDavid and MacKinnon).

Hughes’s viability as a matchup option and the resulting overall deployment shift seems to have flown under the radar with many people. There are still a lot of Canucks fans who think Hughes plays “sheltered” minutes and is only trusted by the coaches in an offensive role. And that Myers (and OEL) gets tasked with the vast majority of the shutdown duties and is forced to eat all the toughest minutes and top matchups. This simply wasn’t the case last season. Myers certainly played a lot of tough minutes and was used in a matchup role. But so was Hughes. And the overall difference (QualComp, shiftcharts, etc) wasn’t all that significant. While there’s no questioning Myers and OEL (to their credit) played the “toughest” overall minutes on the D, the data also shows quite clearly, albeit somewhat surprisingly, that Hughes really wasn’t all that far behind either of them.

If Hughes continues to develop and grow his overall game and move toward a true #1 role (eating 25+ minutes a night, taking a larger share of the toughest matchups, playing both PK and PP, etc), it might actually allow Myers (and his partner) to play a bit of a reduced role with some slightly easier deployment.

5 on 5 Hughes carried Schenn.  Hard for a coach to send Schenn out against top lines, yet Hughes is so good it happened often.  Myers needs to be sheltered too, if in a top four role, which is why Hughes and OEL a almost certainly not playing together.  We need them to shelter our very poor right side D in top four minutes.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

5 on 5 Hughes carried Schenn.  Hard for a coach to send Schenn out against top lines, yet Hughes is so good it happened often.  Myers needs to be sheltered too, if in a top four role, which is why Hughes and OEL a almost certainly not playing together.  We need them to shelter our very poor right side D in top four minutes.

I think we might have to try though. OEL-Hughes could be a dominant pair. Rathbone-Schenn a serviceable 3rd. 

If Dermott-Myers can hold their own somehow it does make us better. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I think we might have to try though. OEL-Hughes could be a dominant pair. Rathbone-Schenn a serviceable 3rd. 

If Dermott-Myers can hold their own somehow it does make us better. 

I agree that OEL - Hughes would be a great top pair.  They are both #1 D.  And Rathbone - Schenn would be an excellent third pair.  Dermott - Myers (in a second pair role) would be, IMHAO, a complete and utter disaster against better teams.  They could do okay against the crap teams, like the Habs though.  

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree that OEL - Hughes would be a great top pair.  They are both #1 D.  And Rathbone - Schenn would be an excellent third pair.  Dermott - Myers (in a second pair role) would be, IMHAO, a complete and utter disaster against better teams.  They could do okay against the crap teams, like the Habs though.  

I guess I don't see much choice.... I'd have to run the math, but whats the lowest # minutes Dermott-Myers could be put out there, 17-18? 

I guess it depends on which F group is on the ice at the same time as them, if its a highly defensive shift maybe a F can come back to help.

I'm grasping. 

• Vintage 1