The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Myers l #57 l D

-DLC-

59 minutes ago, Cup2022 said:

Look at games played makes my point ohlund was better lumme Salo jovanovcki you are welcome to your opinion mine is that Eddy is behind them and Reinhart Eddy racked up points in an era that had no one to bump him down the line up. Real good player just not in my top three for skill

If you're not going to factor in longevity and look at points without the context of the eras in which a player played, Reinhart would be your best Canuck defenseman of all-time followed by the legendary...Tom Kurvers with 27 points in 32 games. With that faulty logic, Ohlund comes in at 28th all-time by points-per-game.

Even by that logic though (pointing to the games played as a negative factor), Edler has a higher points-per-game than both Salo and Ohlund. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

If you're not going to factor in longevity and look at points without the context of the eras in which a player played, Reinhart would be your best Canuck defenseman of all-time followed by the legendary...Tom Kurvers with 27 points in 32 games. With that faulty logic, Ohlund comes in at 28th all-time by points-per-game.

Even by that logic though (pointing to the games played as a negative factor), Edler has a higher points-per-game than both Salo and Ohlund. 

I would take Salo on a pp over Eddy 10times out of 10 in there Prime and healthy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cup2022 said:

I would take Salo on a pp over Eddy 10times out of 10 in there Prime and healthy.

I agree, on the PP, Salo was one of the best and definitely better than Edler. If we're speaking more to the overall game, I'd take Edler.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I agree, on the PP, Salo was one of the best and definitely better than Edler. If we're speaking more to the overall game, I'd take Edler.

I'd still take Salo (and that's coming from a guy with an Edler sig).

Other than health issues, Salo was a better D man in basically every facet of the game. He's criminally underrated around here.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I'd still take Salo (and that's coming from a guy with an Edler sig).

Other than health issues, Salo was a better D man in basically every facet of the game. He's criminally underrated around here.

Well, from a physicality perspective, Edler is the better defenseman. Salo was a much better powerplay defenseman and had that ridiculous shot. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, from a physicality perspective, Edler is the better defenseman. Salo was a much better powerplay defenseman and had that ridiculous shot. 

Ok, slight edge to Edler physically (though Salo was no push over in that regard). But defensively, offensively, ability to transition the puck,  read plays etc, etc...Salo was better.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Monty said:

GP: 29

Goals: 0

Assists 4

$6M x 5 MNTC (10 team no trade list for the last 4 years)

Oof.

Yeah, he's been solid all-around, but I think people aren't noticing his lack of offense so far because his defense is okay and our team is playing alright. Right now though, it definitely looks like a pretty brutal contract.

4 hours ago, Monty said:

GP: 29

Goals: 0

Assists 4

$6M x 5 MNTC (10 team no trade list for the last 4 years)

Oof.

Based on that last game, let's make an agreement to complain about Myers more often.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a look at Myers #'s so far this season as compared to Ben Hutton. Myers is 3 years older and costs $4.5m more. Their #'s are very similar with Myers having a few more hits and much better takeaway/giveaway ratio but Hutton's "underlying" stats are better given his zone starts etc. I'm actually kind of surprised at the 44% dzone starts for Myers, thought that would have been closer to even (his career avg). Bottom line is Myers has definitely underwhelmed at this point and is looking like a massive overpayment. I'm willing to bet I could find 4-5 other dmen under $2m with equal or better #'s than Myers that the Canucks could have signed this past offseason.

Capture.JPG

Edited by GritGrinder
  • Upvote 1

You have to compare LD with LD and RD with RD.  RD are hard to find and that can impact Free agent signing.  Remember in the summer people were saying Tyler would get around 8 mill. a year.  Glad we didn't sign him at that price tag.

3 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

not a good signing thusfar but maybe he can turn it around. A lot of Jets fans though were happy to see him gone and we can kinda see why now

There were not much choices in UFA, so if you would have preferred pouliot, del zotto, hutton, philip holm, gudbranson or biega then I don't know what to say.  :picard:

6 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

There were not much choices in UFA, so if you would have preferred pouliot, del zotto, hutton, philip holm, gudbranson or biega then I don't know what to say.  :picard:

I think a better comparison would be if one preferred those players at market prices and additionally, the loss we would've taken performance-wise if we had chosen those guys over Myers. Myers costs a lot of money and most of those players would've been substantially cheaper, but a counterargument is that none of them are capably top 4 defenders, which Myers can usually be.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2020/1/2/21039661/tylers-myers-and-his-solid-start-with-the-canucks

It is hard to get good value out of "second tier" UFA signings as most players get overpaid. That said, unlike the disaster of the players signed in 2016 (Lucic, Eriksson, Ladd, Okposo, Brouwer, Backes, Nielsen) Myers is at least a solid contributor, on pace for a decent season and leading the team in ice time. But given what we gave up for Gudbranson, Myers is a better value player at 6M vs Gudbranson at 4M and we didn't lose valuable assets. 

Tyler Myers has many of the qualities of a standard Jim Benning signing. He’s big, a supposed character guy, and high-profile. As such, it was fair to have some questions about the value of the addition; at $6 million a year for five years, it’s a hefty pricetag for a player many considered to be, at the very best, a second-pair defender. All this being said, Myers — despite stil probably being overpaid — has been a legitimately valuable piece for the Canucks this season and has proven himself to be a key part of their blueline.

In terms of reliance, Myers has played more than any other Canucks skater in total icetime at 679:30, and sits second to only Alex Edler in icetime per game at 21:40 (to Edler’s 23:30). Indeed, in speaking to his workload, Myers has been tasked with being arguably their most relied upon blueliner throughout the campaign. Adding to this responsibility is his role in the development of Quinn Hughes, seen by many as the team’s most valuable defenceman and arguably the league’s top rookie. He is the 20-years-old’s second most common partner, with Hughes playing with Myers 29.07% of the time (behind just Chris Tanev, who plays alongside Hughes 43.92% of the time). Given Hughes’ short- and long-term importance to the club, his play with him is of great importance.

Myers has also been a fairly reliable player in terms of possession. While unspectacular, he is third in both CorsiFor% and Relative CorsiFor% of 49.3% and 0.00 respectively, third among Canucks defenders behind just Edler and Hughes. His Fenwick numbers (Corsi without blocked shots) are similar, with a FenwickFor% pf 49.4% and and a Relative FenwickFor% of -0.9. These numbers are from dominant, but they aren’t a disaster either, and represent a player that has, at the very least, been a steady presence on the blue line. His offensive numbers have been arguably dissapointing, but relative to his peers, they too have been at least ‘fine’. With 13 points in 40 games, he’s on a 27-point pace, which ties for the third highest total in his career. He also ranks third on team’s defence in points, again behind Hughes and Edler, and second in primary assists with eight (trailing Hughes). While hardly juggernaut, Myers has been a reliable posession driver and offensive contributor.

Making all this more impressive is the fact that Myers has been unlucky to a degree, as can be outlined by his Individual Points Percentage (IPP). IPP demonstrates how many goals scored a player contributes to when he is on the ice, and is generally considered a good proxy for luck or identifying outlier seasons; typically, forwards fall into the 80% range, while defenders come in at around 30%. By this metric, Myers is at 23.08%, a fair amount below what might be expected of him. In this sense, if Myers is playing as well as he is without the benefit of luck, it paints his performance in an even better light.

It is fair to say that the Myers contract wasn’t good on the day it was signed, and is still not worth it to this day. However, should the money doled out be put on the backburner, it is clear that Myers has been a solid top four presence on the Canucks and a valuable part of the defence core. In that sense, Myers has been a pleasant surprise for the Canucks and their success thus far this season.

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Cheers 1