The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Lucic + Conditional 3rd to Calgary for Neal

Pears

It's looking like Edmonton will be getting shafted in this trade.  

Neal is one of the biggest liabilities on the ice and will be hitting 21 goals.  Lucic is not likely to hit 11 goals, so Edmonton will have to fork over a 3rd round pick.  Edmonton has also retained 12.5% of Lucic's salary.  

It's early, but looking like Calgary has won year 1 of The Trade. 

16 minutes ago, rekker said:

Lucic was no where to be found last night in the Battle of Alberta. What a plug, an expensive plug.

Came here to post this. 

The guy has had absolutely zero involvement in any of these epic battles between these two teams. Literally should be a healthy scratch next time they meet again. 

Think this deal officially favours the Oilers. 

• Thanks 1

watching round  4 of the battle of 'berta last night I can't believe I entertained the idea of Loui for Lucic for a few days. Thank god that didn't happen. He's either lost his heart to play or maybe he's just not what he once was but man would I be annoyed if I were a F'Lames fan. As a Canucks fan I'm enjoying it immensely but as a F'Lames fan.... 

1 hour ago, HI5 said:

The guy has had absolutely zero involvement in any of these epic battles between these two teams

He had the primary assist in Wednesday’s opening goal. He also had a really good 3rd period last night. Had a number of really good plays down low to sustain pressure.

As for who won the trade? Looking points alone would have one think it’s a clear cut win for the Oilers. However, most of Neal’s points have come from the PP. His Corsi isn’t bad, at 50.2% (508CF to 504 CA), but Lucic does have a far better Corsi, at 55% (561CF to 479CA).

It’s also been said that just looking at +/- isn’t an accurate snapshot at how responsible a player is, but it does give an idea of how effective they are. Lucic currently has a -3 rating, while Neal has a team worst -21.

This isn’t me saying, “Therefore, I want Lucic on my team over Neal.” I wouldn’t want either. However, when comparing salaries, who’s more a liability when on the ice, and the 3rd round pick that the Flames got in return, I really do think the Flames won the trade.

The bad thing for the Flames is the NMC that comes with Lucic for expansion. However, full NMC didn’t necessarily mean in the last expansion that a player wouldn’t allow themselves to be taken. Best example of this was the Jets with Tobias Enstrom. He had a full NMC, but he allowed himself to be open to be taken in expansion, and then the Jets swung a deal so he wouldn’t be taken. Considering recent interviews by Lucic, I’d bet he’d be open to allow himself to be selected by Seattle (though, doubt Seattle would take him).

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

watching round  4 of the battle of 'berta last night I can't believe I entertained the idea of Loui for Lucic for a few days. Thank god that didn't happen. He's either lost his heart to play or maybe he's just not what he once was but man would I be annoyed if I were a F'Lames fan. As a Canucks fan I'm enjoying it immensely but as a F'Lames fan.... 

The Coilers and the Flames both deserve Lucic on their roster. I'd like to see him get a run with the Leafs for the perfect trifecta.

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2020 at 7:18 AM, rekker said:

Lucic was no where to be found last night in the Battle of Alberta. What a plug, an expensive plug.

hard to argue with the first sentence.  (I don't care for referring to players as 'plugs' but whatever, that's beside the point).

I watched those battles with elevated schadenfreude - Lucic was clearly invisible in all the after the whistles incidents.  Might have something to do with the obvious consequence of getting involved - that he might wind up dancing with Kassian as a result of all of Tkachuk's idiocy - so I'm not going to 'criticize' Lucic on this point - I think it was Tkachuk's own - to face.

But is there a more signature time / heated rivalry - where you want Lucic to show up?   Not sure what was going on there, but there were countless dynamics in play, not simply the Tkachuk fallout.   On that note - I tend to 'side' with Calgary in the present era (not a fan of the lottery champions to say the least) - but in this particular episode, I loved watching Calgary get their asses handed to them.

The whole Lucic thing, though, makes me laugh on another level - relative to all the ballbusting of Gudbranson on these boards - that expected him to jump and pound every middleweight (Gudbranson isn't exactly a 'code' breaking kind of guy) that dared look at one of our young players (vs all the relative Lucic fluffing, et al).

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

On 2/2/2020 at 7:18 AM, rekker said:

In those 3 games against the Oilers, he led all forwards on both teams with a combine 11 hits. Only Nurse had more hits than any other player with 15. 

You also have to factor in that he probably still have some friends on the Oilers and probably didn’t want to strain any relationships between them. Thus why, he did engage in any extra activities between the whistles.

Since the battle of Alberta game the CalgaryPuck has full on turned on Lucic, I went there for a laugh, but left feeling sort of sorry for them after reading so many  negative comments about the team. You would think they were on a 20 game losing streak.

Button on TSN was trying to defend Lucic saying he is too slow of a skater to be physical anymore, but concedes he may be just going through the motions on his contract.

9 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Since the battle of Alberta game the CalgaryPuck has full on turned on Lucic, I went there for a laugh, but left feeling sort of sorry for them after reading so many  negative comments about the team. You would think they were on a 20 game losing streak.

Button on TSN was trying to defend Lucic saying he is too slow of a skater to be physical anymore, but concedes he may be just going through the motions on his contract.

I'm not sure about feeling sorry for them  - it sounds like they're doing enough of that already -  feeling sorry for themselves (however you state it - the negativity, the moping, the poor-me, poor-us thing, or the expectation/entitlement to a 'winner' - is their choice - it's their choice of perspective) - and it's a gd hockey team we're talking about - not real life, not something that really matters.  A hockey team that is 2 pts out of 2nd in their division ironically - and has been competitive for  a long time. 

Iirc, they beat Edmonton those first 3 matchups - and the 4th wadr to them, they deserved a sound thrashing.

I recall behaving that way as a grade schooler - moping over my team losing - and getting a bang on the ear - to smarten up and get a grip/some perspective.  I'm forever thankful for the 'tough love' - because the alternative wasn't going to serve me in any way.

As for Lucic - it wasn't Lucic that set them up for the dynamic that played out in Edmonton - and it wasn't up to Lucic to get them out of it.

That was on Tkachuk - who was not satisfied to leave well enough alone - insisted on forcing the issue - salting Edmonton, inciting them, and stupidly, of repeatedly forcing that confrontation with Kassian.  He overstepped imo - played to his weaknesses and it got exposed.  Maybe time to grow up and move on - but that mopey/whiney thing is a signature on these boards as well, and I'm not sure enabling or sympathizing is the way to go.

On 2/3/2020 at 6:00 PM, shiznak said:

In those 3 games against the Oilers, he led all forwards on both teams with a combine 11 hits. Only Nurse had more hits than any other player with 15. 

You also have to factor in that he probably still have some friends on the Oilers and probably didn’t want to strain any relationships between them. Thus why, he did engage in any extra activities between the whistles.

Exactly!  

Ever been to a club with an idiot (Tkatchuk) that starts a fight and acts a fool?  What if he picks a fight with some of your old friends (Edmonton Oilers)?  

I'm not surprised that Lucic didn't figure prominently in the extracurricular stuff.  I'd be embarrassed to have Chucky on my team. 

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

ima flake.

a noise maker - with one note. rabble rabble.

I'm about the only person that's come in here and evidenced that Lucic has been as effective as Neal - in spite of Neal's goal production -  don't expect you to get it - it doesn't hit that one note of yours - and that all three of these guys are of negligible difference overall. .  Also ironic that you whine about stats and then dwell on/cherry pick one - hits.

What I'm going to enjoy is that NMC - Lucic's contract extending into 2023 - through expansion - and what that will mean / who Calgary will have to expose as they protect Lucic.   I'm sure you'll be back to chirp about hits at that point.

Edited by oldnews