The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future of Troy Stecher

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

The future of Troy Stecher

Stecher will be an RFA at Season’s end.  I haven’t checked the details of his contract, and have no idea as to whether he’ll have arbitration rights or not, but if he does, I’m sure that he’d be able to command significantly north of 4 million.  Stecher has not only spent much of his time in a first pairing capacity, but he’s also spent significant amounts of time playing on a top pairing with Alex Edler.   This season, he will likely spend more time on the 3rd pairing with Benn, but who really knows what will happen.

My questions with Stecher are as follows:

1) What would Stecher be awarded by an arbitrator if it came to that?   

2) Would the Canucks be able to re-up Stecher given that Markstrom and possibly Tanev will need to be re-upped?  (and we also need to consider the fact that if we choose to move on from Tanev and Tryamkin returns, then it’s very likely that Tryamkin will be getting that Tanev money anyways and so much of that 4.45 million would go to Tree).  Oh yeah - did I mention that Jake Virtanen will need to be re-upped?

3) Will we need to trade Stecher at this year’s deadline regardless of where we are in the playoff race?

4) Is it possible that we choose not to qualify Stecher next Summer and give him the Hutton treatment?

5) If the Canucks make the playoffs next year and are forced to surrender their 1st, will Stecher be used to trade for a pick (2nd?) at the draft?   Are there teams out there that would gladly qualify Stecher, and then give him 4+ million?

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Wat 1

16 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

For what amount?   It would have to be more than 4 million would it not?   If the Canucks choose to re-Sign Stecher, then what about guys like Tanev, Markstrom, and Virtanen?  

TBH, I don't really care that much about the team's salary structure down the road. Teams find a way to keep their players under contract. Canucks will be able to do the same.

What was Hutton rumoured to get via arbitration? 3.5?  Stech should get around that barring a huge offensive explosion this season.  

He’s a great 3rd pairing guy who can move up when needed.. but he’s behind Myers and Tanev and not ideally a top 4 on a good club.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Solid guy.  I’m thinking he earns a decent contract.  3x3.  

No improvement since his last contract so I highly doubt he is in for a raise. He will have to show another level this year if that's going to happen Alf.

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

No improvement since his last contract so I highly doubt he is in for a raise. He will have to show another level this year if that's going to happen Alf.

He might get passed by Rafferty or someone?  Can’t deny the effort though.  He does need to bring more offensively.  Doesn’t have to be in points (that would be great though) but he needs to transition the puck better from the D zone/neutral zone to offence.  

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He might get passed by Rafferty or someone?  Can’t deny the effort though.  He does need to bring more offensively.  Doesn’t have to be in points (that would be great though) but he needs to transition the puck better from the D zone/neutral zone to offence.  

If he is not clearing the crease or putting a bit of fear into the opposition in the corners, then he needs to be able to get the puck to our talented forwards through speed and smart play. If he cannot do either effectively, then he will fall by the wayside the same as Hutton did and the strong shall prevail. I like the guy, but I like the idea of a Stanley Cup in this city, a little more.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

For what amount?   It would have to be more than 4 million would it not?   If the Canucks choose to re-Sign Stecher, then what about guys like Tanev, Markstrom, and Virtanen?  

I think the focus will be on replacing Tanev, which will likely be costly.  If they sign Stech, it will be a 1yr cheapy deal (better he be a UFA than Seattle fodder as they could re-sign him in the offseason).  Markstrom, I think they wait to see how Demko this season.  Again, they could go with a 1yr contract so that he doesn't end up in Seattle.  Virtanen?  who knows, but I doubt he gets term or a lot of $.

Many players will choose 1yr contracts so that they can be ufas for the ED.

Tanev replacement $6m

Stecher (temp contract) $3m

Marks (temp contract)  $4.5m

Virtanen  $2.5m (depends on what he does this season)

Motte/Leivo  who knows, maybe temp contracts or replacements

Total  $15.5m-$20m

I think Loui gets bought out next off season

Loui    $6m

Sutter or Baer  +$3.5m

Schaller  $1.9m

Tanev  $4.45m

Total  $16m

With the new US tv contract we should see increases in the cap for the next few years.  Perhaps 3-5m each year.  Regardless, the #s are close, but they may not get the Tanev replacement they want.  Or, they may let Stech go if any of the prospect are looking good.