The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future of Troy Stecher

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

9 hours ago, Plum said:

Agree on Stecher. I like him on the 3rd pairing, killing penalties and used against 2nd-4th lines. I consider Tanev #1 and Myers #2. Stecher may be too rich for the 3rd pairing depending on his next contract so it could make sense to look to trade him this year. I have no complains if we re-sign Tanev. A 3rd pairing RD should not be expensive nor hard to find, so we can wait on Woo to be a strong 3rd pairing NHLer on his ELC hopefully. 

This is exactly it. I would love to have him on the team people just need to realize what he is and where he stands in the overall picture. 

On 7/22/2019 at 4:51 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The disrespect to one of our most consistent and hardworking defensemen in this thread is absolutely baffling. His underlying numbers are great, he can contribute offensively, he likely won't ask for much, he's still young, and he's feisty as all hell, despite his size. He's the type of guy you win with. He'll never be a Norris contidate, but as a bottom pairing guy he's about as good as it gets. 

to completely ignore his shortcomings is rose colored homer glasses. Stecher has had the benefit of being ok on a team that has had awful defense. He struggle to clear the crease against bigger players,does not contribute offensively like he needs to to stay in the NHL.I like Stecher and his attitude and would love to see him have success but he has to bring a bigger contribution or he will be supplanted by Quin Hughes as the smaller offensive defenseman on the team, The reason Benning went out and got Myers Benn and Fantenberg is due to the fact Stecher and Hutton were not the answer.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

to completely ignore his shortcomings is rose colored homer glasses. Stecher has had the benefit of being ok on a team that has had awful defense. He struggle to clear the crease against bigger players,does not contribute offensively like he needs to to stay in the NHL.I like Stecher and his attitude and would love to see him have success but he has to bring a bigger contribution or he will be supplanted by Quin Hughes as the smaller offensive defenseman on the team, The reason Benning went out and got Myers Benn and Fantenberg is due to the fact Stecher and Hutton were not the answer.

Wasn’t aware that adding 20-25 points a season from the blueline wasn’t “contributing like he needs to to stay in the NHL”.

Shiny new toy syndrome in full effect here.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:34 PM, Johnny Torts said:

Stecher just played for Canada too, as did Tanev right before his value rocketed. 

He’s great. 

Stecher gradually lost his ice time as the Worlds went on.  He finished with not even 7 minutes in the finals.  Vigneault had already cut his ice time down to 8:30 vs the USA in the final pool game.

He started in the top-4 and ended up being D7 - teams can ice up to 20 skaters and Vigneault went with 7 Ds.  On the right side he got surpassed by Dante Fabbro and Phillippe Myers who joined mid-tournament. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

Stecher gradually lost his ice time as the Worlds went on.  He finished with not even 7 minutes in the finals.  Vigneault had already cut his ice time down to 8:30 vs the USA in the final pool game.

He started in the top-4 and ended up being D7 - teams can ice up to 20 skaters and Vigneault went with 7 Ds.  On the right side he got surpassed by Dante Fabbro and Phillippe Myers who joined mid-tournament. 

He was on the team. 

Yes?

or

No?

Negative nancy.

With Myers added to the right side, I see Stecher's role decreased on the offensive side. Depending on our health he will not get the PP time he had last year, but he is reliable defensively and sacrifices himself for the team. One of our best team guys.

A 3rd pairing RD that can support the penalty kill, move to the top 4 temporarily, and also move the the puck relatively well should earn him a 2 year contract in the 2-3 Mil range.

I hope we keep him on a short term deal.

2 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

With Myers added to the right side, I see Stecher's role decreased on the offensive side. Depending on our health he will not get the PP time he had last year, but he is reliable defensively and sacrifices himself for the team. One of our best team guys.

A 3rd pairing RD that can support the penalty kill, move to the top 4 temporarily, and also move the the puck relatively well should earn him a 2 year contract in the 2-3 Mil range.

I like Troy too, as I think we all do.  He will definitely play second unit PK, but no chance he gets PP time, or he shouldn’t.  His shot is a muffin, and he’s not exactly great with the puck on his stick.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Wasn’t aware that adding 20-25 points a season from the blueline wasn’t “contributing like he needs to to stay in the NHL”.

Hutton had 20 points in 69 games. Biega? 16 points in just 41 games. What's your point? :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Hmmm...….Sounds like another little dman we have named "Bulldog". ::D

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Hutton had 20 points in 69 games. Biega? 16 points in just 41 games. What's your point? :rolleyes:

I'm not going to $&!# on Biega because I think he's criminally underrated, but last time I checked Ben Hutton was a -23, while Stetcher led the team with a +9. You do understand that all of things work in conjunction with each other, right?

On one level, Stecher provides a good counterbalance to Hughes. When Hughes isn't on the ice, Stecher provides more grit and reliable defense. I can see them both almost being opposite-game placeholders for each other from the small D perspective.

My thing is ... our D is only going to get bigger - Tryamkin, Juolevi, Brisebois, Raffery - and Stecher could very well get squeezed out. And Woo looks to be progessing nicely. Stecher may very well get surpassed just in size and skill.

I love Stecher's character and work ethic. That will carry him far but I do think he needs to make himself more indispensable.

This is probably a poor take but IMO if you're on the smaller end of the height spectrum and provide little to no contribution in the offensive end you have to Hamhuis-level in your own end. Stecher could get there but he isn't just yet.

I don't see him being part of our defensive core moving forward. He's a serviceable third pairing defender currently but he doesn't have any dynamic qualities that make him worth keeping.

He needs to separate himself in some way from the rest of the players. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

No. No I’m not. TS is a fringe NHL’r. That we have been in the toilet has given him an opportunity. Name a playoff team that he would crack the top 4...

Try telling that to Team Canada

14 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

6 hours ago, EdgarM said:

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm not going to $&!# on Biega because I think he's criminally underrated, but last time I checked Ben Hutton was a -23, while Stetcher led the team with a +9. You do understand that all of things work in conjunction with each other, right?

Your original argument said nothing about plus/minus. Your words not mine. ::D