The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future of Troy Stecher

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

15 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

If by saying he's not playoff material you mean someone who plays bigger than their size, doesnt take stupid penalties, contributes offensively, plays with a lot of heart, logs big minutes, mid 20's in points and is a hometown boy.. then yeah, totally not playoff material.

Also, what are you talking about needing to explode with offensive prowess? He had 23 points last year. 21 at even strength, thats our best defensemen at even strength. 3 points more than Edler. 

Give him time, I think he is going to surprise some people this year. 

To be fair, Stecher did play 20+ more games than Edler last season.  I don't disagree with the overall argument you're making though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

To be fair, Stecher did play 20+ more games than Edler last season.  I don't disagree with the overall argument you're making though.

Yes, I did notice that, but didn't want to shoot holes in my own argument :) Gotta make other people do their own research. 

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

I think people also discount the value of a player giving his all on pretty much every shift.  It's contagious.  A reason why a player like Motte has a place on the team even though he kind of plays all over the place.  You *WANT* to have some players that clearly want to be here & are proud to put on the Canuck uniform.  Doesn't hurt that Stecher also is a skilled player. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, xereau said:

He was highly offensive in the minors, and I predict now that he has shown he can play NHL level D, he is going to start putting up points. We have all seen his little wiggle across from the blueline to find lanes. He still has offense in his game, saw it in the worlds too. Troy has been another hell of a find by Benning.

I'm assuming you mean those 2 seasons in junior with Penticton. Stecher only played 4 games for Utica and had 1 point. He honestly wasn't even that offensive in the NCAA putting up 13g 40a in 120 games with ND.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

1) What would Stecher be awarded by an arbitrator if it came to that?   

2) Would the Canucks be able to re-up Stecher given that Markstrom and possibly Tanev will need to be re-upped?  (and we also need to consider the fact that if we choose to move on from Tanev and Tryamkin returns, then it’s very likely that Tryamkin will be getting that Tanev money anyways and so much of that 4.45 million would go to Tree).  Oh yeah - did I mention that Jake Virtanen will need to be re-upped?

3) Will we need to trade Stecher at this year’s deadline regardless of where we are in the playoff race?

4) Is it possible that we choose not to qualify Stecher next Summer and give him the Hutton treatment?

5) If the Canucks make the playoffs next year and are forced to surrender their 1st, will Stecher be used to trade for a pick (2nd?) at the draft?   Are there teams out there that would gladly qualify Stecher, and then give him 4+ million?

1.  One billion dollars.

2.  Yes.   In fact, they will be able to re-up-up him as he is pretty small and easy to lift.

3.  No.   You can't trade him anyway - only Canuck management can do that.

4.  Anything is possible unless it is impossible and then you need Tom Cruise for the mission.    

5.  Of course.   There is a trade already in place as the Canucks use their time machine to check these things out.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

If by saying he's not playoff material you mean someone who plays bigger than their size, doesnt take stupid penalties, contributes offensively, plays with a lot of heart, logs big minutes, mid 20's in points and is a hometown boy.. then yeah, totally not playoff material.

Also, what are you talking about needing to explode with offensive prowess? He had 23 points last year. 21 at even strength, thats our best defensemen at even strength. 3 points more than Edler. 

Give him time, I think he is going to surprise some people this year. 

None of his attributes, you state, are big selling features for a guy you want to count on in the playoffs. When the going gets rough, I am sorry but he is going to get "run over" and he has no offensive prowess to back it up with like Hughes is going to have.

He is a middle of the road dman who is SERVICABLE, plain and simple. 

Biega had 16 points in half of the games and Hutton had 20 so what is your point? Our dcore has been really bad so you cannot grade him simply with our core group. Try that now that we have our NHL level dmen to compare him to. 

Give him time? He is 25 and has 3 full seasons in the NHL, I think what you see is what you get, the same with Hutton and look what happened to him.

I see him as a little above Biega but I seen some prospects who can bring much more to the table and will surpass him in the pecking order very soon. 

He was needed when we had nobody else, his time is coming to an end and he will be surpassed by prospects. Sorry but that is the sad truth.

He will have to perform some kind of miracle this season to earn a new contract to outduel our prospects, otherwise he will be joining his counterpart Hutton very soon.

• Wat 2

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think people also discount the value of a player giving his all on pretty much every shift.  It's contagious.  A reason why a player like Motte has a place on the team even though he kind of plays all over the place.  You *WANT* to have some players that clearly want to be here & are proud to put on the Canuck uniform.  Doesn't hurt that Stecher also is a skilled player. 

"Giving his all" is fine and dandy IF you can back it up. Motte does it and is effective. Motte's speed allows him to do things others cannot. Stecher can try to shoot a slapshot until he is blue in the face but if he cannot blow it past the goalie it is totally useless. Like I said, I love the guy but he just doesn't have what it takes to be an effective PMD nor a stay at home dman. He is a younger version of Biega, which is not a bad thing, he just has limitations that cannot be overlooked.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The disrespect to one of our most consistent and hardworking defensemen in this thread is absolutely baffling. His underlying numbers are great, he can contribute offensively, he likely won't ask for much, he's still young, and he's feisty as all hell, despite his size. He's the type of guy you win with. He'll never be a Norris contidate, but as a bottom pairing guy he's about as good as it gets. 

Agree completely. Stecher will probably top out as a solid 4-5 guy but even then he handled himself very well when he had to play top minutes. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

For what amount?   It would have to be more than 4 million would it not?   If the Canucks choose to re-Sign Stecher, then what about guys like Tanev, Markstrom, and Virtanen?  

As the Canucks mature, we're going to have to get used to the fact that hard decisions are going to have to be made.

Stecher could be an awesome #6 moving forward who can play up the line up without the team missing a beat.  He has a good deal of compete.  If I'm reading Cap Friendly right, Stech will be arbitration eligible.  Benning needs to be proactive to get him signed for a good number.  He would certainly be an attractive trade chip as we have Jett Woo coming (but I don't think for a couple of years) and the possibility of Tryamkin coming back at the end of this season or next.

5 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

What was Hutton rumoured to get via arbitration? 3.5?  Stech should get around that barring a huge offensive explosion this season.  

He’s a great 3rd pairing guy who can move up when needed.. but he’s behind Myers and Tanev and not ideally a top 4 on a good club.

I read a rumour he would have gotten 4.1

2 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I like Tony Stretcher, don’t get me wrong but $4shmill a year is a massive overpayment. 

I don't see $4M being very high for a young top-4 defenseman. The cap is a lot higher than it used to be. $4M is middling money.

9 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

OP suggested $4M a year...um no. Less than half that maybe. 

3mx4 is realistic for the arc he is on. Was +15 on a bad team. Carried top minutes for a quarter of the season, and was when his advanced stats started taking leaps and bounds forwards. Went to the worlds, looked energised.  He hasn't peaked yet.

• Upvote 2